some historical events

sagitel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Oblivion Crisis in one Minute!:

The Mythic Dawn are worshippers of Mehrunes Dagon (a daedric prince). They assassinated the Imperial Family, so with no Emperor with dragon blood wearing the Amulet of Kings ( a gift from Akatosh to Queen Alessia thousands of years before), the Dragon Fires (seriously I forgot what those fires were called) died out and the gates to the world of Oblivion opened and daedra entered Mundus and just whacked everybody they see to pieces. The hero of the crisis averted this by saving Martin Septim, the last bastard son of the Imperial line, kills the Mything Dawn and gets Martin and the Amulet to the Imperial Capital. Mehrunes Dagon enters the world through a huge ass Oblivion gate, Martin shatters the amulet to call for Akatosh who uses his body to manifest in the world. Akatosh and Dagon fight and Dagon gets defeated while Martin in dragon form turns to stone.

The hero continues on his adventures and eventually lands in Sheogorath's realm. He helps Sheogorath battle Jygallag (I forgot the spelling) who turns out to be Sheogorath as well (he's like schizo). When Jygallag was defeated for the first time since he was cursed to be schizo thousands of years ago, breaking the Jyg-Sheo-Jyg-Sheo cycle for control of that realm, the curse is broken and Sheogorath becomes Jygallag the Daedra of order permanently while the hero becomes the new Sheogorath.

Chanchan gives an excelent summary of the Oblivion Crisis, but the lack of depth is... Well, lacking. There is a lot of context and preclusion to the Oblivion Crisis.

Dagon had been planning the whole mess for decades at least, probably a lot longer. He aided Jagar Tharn in imprisoning and impersonating the Emperor to sow discord amongst the provinces, driving wedges in the structure of the Empire which made them less of a united threat. This period of tension and tyranny is probably what also gave the Mythic Dawn the ability to build into a cult sugnifigant enough to take on the Emperor. Remember, they didn't just assasinate Uriel Septim VII, they killed all (but one) of his sons. Inside the Imperial Palace no less. That takes either an absurd amount of skill (which they are shown to lack in Oblivion) or large numbers.

He also assaulted the Battle Spire to destroy the school for Imperial Battle Mages, which was likely in an effort to decrease the chances of anyone finding a solution to the Oblivion Crisis when it actually happened. Without the school for Battle Mages, the strength of the Empire on the magical front would have been weakened, and even if they moved training to the Arcane University, they would have still lacked first hand experience on Oblivion Gates, which would have been easily accessable from the Battlespire. Destruction of the Battlespire also severed gateways to some Daedric Realms, making it less likely for Dagon's rivals to get involved.

So while Chanchan's summary of the events comprising the Oblivion Crisis are not only accurate, but concise, they lack something in the area of background. Dagon didn't just decide one day to invade Mundus, he'd been planning it for a very long time.

I don't think that being dragonborn directly means that you are descended from St. Allesia, but its simple really. Some emperor gets 3 sons. One son becomes royal heir, the others not. From those bloodlines or from another non-heir son later on you can get dragon blood. Heck the emperors even had bastards in some far off villages, so why not?

Actually, neither Martin nor Uriel VII were 'dragonblood'. They were decended from a line that only became Royal because of marriage, not direct decendants of Talos himself. Even then, we have nothing to concretely link Talos to Allessa. I tend to think the line of legitimacy was a quasi-religious construct and not really nessessary. The Akiviri Protenate were not in any way related, but the dragonfire didn't fail then. Being Dragonborn isn't related, in my mind, to St. Allessa at all, and that was jsut done to give divine validity to a line of sucession.

I remember back when Skyrim was still in development, interviews with Tod Howard indicated that, in antiquity, there were many families with 'dragonblood'. One of them eventually became the Septim Emperors, but your character in Skyrim is decended from an entirely different, forgotten line of Dragonborn.

I've also heard arguements that Dragonborn are one-off creations fo Akatosh. Individuals are blessed by the Dragon God, and that blessing dies with them.

Anyway, the point is, there is no reason to assume that all Dragonborn are decended from Allessa, asside from the heavily religious statements made by largley ignorant peasents ingame.

The Dragon War definately happened after Ysgrammor. Simply because, at the time of the genocide of the Falmer, the Nords did not have the Voice. Sometime later, when they invaded Morrowind during the 1rst era, they did have the Voice. that means that the Dragon War would have had to have happened between the resettlement of Skyrim, and the invasion of Morrowind. This would probably place it in the late Mereithic Era.

As for how it happened, there was an essential sequence of events. Dragons enslaved humans. The humans rebelled and lost. Paarthunax taught humans how to use the Voice. Humans rebelled again and Alduin was banished. The Dragons devolved into infighting because of a lack of leadership, letting humans regroup and gain in power. Humans hunted Dragons, and eventually Dragons became mosters of myth, found only in the high mountians, then not at all.

Can I ask your source on this? I can find nothing that states that the territory is now unihabitable.
The book on the Great War describes it as a wasteland. Literally. Doesnt gives more info than that. It kinda looks like a generalization though.

AFAIK it's always been one (a wasteland/desert) - Hammerfell was never a nice place to begin with.

Actually, southren Hammerfell was home to the majority of the largest cities in Hammerfell... Not nessessarily pleasent, but heavily populated and settled. And, yes, i suppose 'uninhabitable' was probably an exageration, but the Great War definately describes it as a wasteland, which it certianly was not before the war.