Gaming Computer

Theeon9

Hello everyone I would really appreciate some help with choosing a gaming laptop. I will post links of the laptops that I might get. I would appreciate any feedback on which one will be the best for gaming and specifically for skyrim. Also would like to know how high I could turn the settings on with the laptops. Thank you for any help.

Option 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270900491810

Option 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250919133546?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Option 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290666445389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Normally I'd tell you to beat it, this isn't the place to talk about that. (try a site that's dedicated to it. I don't know if you could get away with asking for a laptop that runs Skyrim in our tech area)

Honestly, though. Just save up more. A 400 dollar gaming laptop won't get you far. About 1k is where we get decent ones.

Personally, I like Sager, but Asus also offers some pretty cool ones on Newegg.

Which is where you should check first. More reliable with good reviews, really.

None of those are really gaming computers. I don't think you'd get past low/medium settings on any of those, though it's hard to tell without knowing the specific model of video card. the CPU's alone look like they'd bottleneck Skyrim if you tried to run it on too high of settings. Sorry to bring the bad news, but it's no use giving you false hope and having you waste $300+ dollars.

You really need to know the specific video card models though. I'd never buy a laptop for gaming without knowing that.

Edited by Rennn

Gaming and laptops don't really tend to mix. Especially if you intend to play on high settings.

You can do it but for a good one your gonna pay a lot more money and on top of that you're gonna have over heating problems and battery life problems.

also most 'gaming' laptops tend to be quite heavy and if you want a reasonable sized screen on it its going to be quite bit.

In my honest opinion your best bet is to spend a few hundred on a laptop for your work and then start building a nice PC for some serious gaming.

I know you probably won't listen. I know I didn't either at the time. Now I have a £1000 dell laptop sitting in the cupboard which hasn't even been turned on in months and a £2000 home system which I could have just built in the first place

Edited by worldofscotty

Money will go further in the world of Desktop PCs. My current rig (specs below) only cost about $400-500, but then I bought the PSU and GTX 460 separately. All in all, it cost about $700, and it handles most new games very nicely.

To get the same specs in a laptop you'd be looking at $1000, and then it'd be obsolete several years down the road and you'd need a new one. The battery life on most gaming laptops is pretty low as well.

If you're just looking for a pc to game, and not for business or college, a desktop is the best way to go. If it needs to be a mutlipurpose machine, a laptop may still be the better option since it's not locked to your house. Don't be depressed though (since I know I would have been sad to hear this when I was pc shopping). In the end, hearing this will put you in a much better position and you'll be much happier a couple years from now, if not sooner.

Edited by Rennn

I recently bought a laptop and it runs skyrim on ultra high settings just fine. Mine is 17inch Toshiba Qosmio x775. With the Nvidia 560 video card, things are great. Ran around $1000. Yeah it's not a light laptop to easily tote around, basically a mini desktop. Did my research before getting it.

Looks like you want to only get away with ~$300, but I highly doubt you will be able to do that. And ebay laptops just seem sketchy to me. Bet you could manage a couple hundred less if you go with smaller screen, little worse video card.

A year ago I replaced the Alienware I purchased when World of Warcraft came out with a desktop and a laptop from Falcon Northwest. If you have the extra cash, I suggest them; they make the best gaming machines out there. But they do cost a lot. Between the two of them, I spent about $11,000.

The Desktop:

Motherboard: Rampage 3 Extreme

CPU: Intel i7 990x 3.40 GHz (overclocked at 4.12 GHz, using liquid cooling)

Video Card: nVidia GTX 580 (x3)

Memory: 12 GB

RAM Speed: 1600 MHz

Video Game Harddrive: 256 GB

Secondary Harddrive: 1 TB

The Laptop:

Motherboard: P151HM1

CPU: i7 2920XM 2.50 GHZ

Video Card: GTX 485M

Memory: 4 GB

RAM Speed: 1333 MHZ

Harddrive: 256 GB

The nice thing about the desktop is that even being a year old, there isn't a video game out there that can slow it up....and won't be for a while. The lap top runs Skyrim extremely smooth on high settings. That's Falcon Northwest for you.

You will get maybe 15fps on low with those laptops. Either shell out the 1300$ for a gaming laptop, or the 700$~ for a gaming desktop that can actually play skyrim at decent quality

and OUCH @ above. You could have easily gotten that for half the price... :( Never buy "high brand" laptops like alienware or razer unless you like wasting your money, and always build your own desktops.

Edited by Guest

Here's my tale. I bought this from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051OL9UA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Acer Timeline ($800) - it's a slimbook, got a 15" screen, portable as all get out. Got it for writing, but I only use it for Skyrim right now :). Max FPS is 60 (screen limitation, I think, don't know about that stuff) - that's what I peg out at. I'm currently on straight HIGH settings, max view distance on everything but lights and specularity. My 'normal' FPS is about 30 or so - certain light sources and mist effects slam it to the teens, but even Markarth gives me steady 28-35. I regularly get 40-50 dragon fighting. Funny, my lowest fps is usually the loading screens.

The key to getting the most from a tiny little 'puter like this is drivers and tweaks. This little thing has Intel integrated graphics (which Bethsoft stated explicitly they do NOT support), but it also carries an Nvidia geforce GT 520M - which is NOT a very well-rated card as far as gaming goes. So I got Nvidia drivers from their website and used the Nvidia control panel to make game-specific settings. Believe me, the first few weeks, I was so depressed because my FPs was rarely out of the teens and I thought I'd never really enjoy the game. But a bit of research and playing with the settings and now I am a very happy camper. :D

The other thing you have to consider on a laptop running games is heat, and the smaller/cheaper the computer, the more problems you're going to have. Couple that with the fact that games will chew a battery up in next to no time, you should really look seriously at desktops for that price. Unless, like me you HAD to get a laptop (I live in a rough neighborhood, and if anyone knew I had left my computer at home, it would be gone before I got back).

Edited by Susurruss

Mate, buy/ build a desktop, but I think you're going to struggle to get close to what you want for the money even for a base/ barebones unit desktop. To give you some ideas and help with your research my system is based on a AMD Phenom II x4 965 cpu, Radeon Sapphire 5770 1Gb graphics card, 4Gb 1333 Ram, Gigabyte AM3 motherboard, 600W powersupply, Windows 7 Pro. Its by no means bleeding edge but it does play all my current games well and it runs Skyrim on ultra quite happily. At the time it was just within my budget and represented the best bang for the buck. Later I upgraded with a better monitor, added another 5770 and so on. If I were in the same position today I would look at the Intel i5 quad core CPU and build a system around that. Have a good look at Toms Hardware pages and Anandtech among others and spend time doing the research while you patiently save up for your kit. HTH