It is a texture pack after all,and it's available now! :D

Alithinos

Hard to tell from that shot. Does it fix the face normal maps (i.e. gets rid of the blocky noses) ?

Nope.

Wow. Of all things, I figured they'd have fixed that first. The only mod I run is No More Blocky Faces for just that reason.

Jerk. The new textures most definitely do fix the blocky faces problem.

I ffinally had time to try it. The big difference is in armor, clothing, and skin. Some environmental stuff is improved as well, indoor wood textures, some of the Windhelm buildings look better from close-ish distances, etc.

I see no performance difference with my i920 / HD5870 1GB / 6GB RAM machine. I think there's a bit more of a hitch the first time I exit a building or fast-travel someplace, but it's difficult to tell. FPS is not affected and the game is the same smoothness as before. Which makes sense; if they did their mipmaps right this should have negligible FPS impact since you'll only load the full texture up close.

This is a great update, kudos to Bethesda.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I could use a texture pack for the armor and weapons, but I'd prefer Skyrim HD and Skyrim Flora Overhaul on the rest.

Just to make it clear, this official texture pack overrides all other (manually installed) texture packs? Even if the texture packs are of a higher priority in NMM?

Edited by Harm

Well it looks from the screens like the roads/landscapes were not changed at all. How would i go about using the official pack for everything but using say Skyrim HD 2k road/landscape textures?

The armor and weapons seemed to have gotten a big boost as well as a lot of architecture.

I wear glasses, heck I even need new ones, but I really feel that some of the more negative posters need them more than I do. Took me half an hour to download when I eventually figured it out. But once installed game loaded even faster than it used to. Almost everything if not all, has been changed, even the graphics for spells when you view them in the magic menu. They have lost that blocky unpolished look and are a lot smoother, vanilla armour has much more detail to it, skin is better, dark elves dont look TOO ugly now. Though I do miss the modded look. Things just look a lot clearer. Would take pics but I use steam to take them and this computer is too poo to take videos. Another thing I noticed is that even the armour that has been added via mods to be crafted looks better, but I am guessing that's because the assets they use have received the HD treatment too.

One thing that is a bit surprising is how it sorta invalidates all the work modders have done to improve or edit textures. On one hand, you think it's an impressive improvement, then you think, but wait, this really should have been here in the first place and saved a lot of people wasting their time.

I think CD Projekt went the right way about it with The Witcher 2 by focussing on the pc first, getting a product that fits the model out first, then working on downscaling it for the 360.

Well i appreciate all the work modders have done ( made my game much more pretty for the first couple months playing), however i find a lot of the HD mods make the world look SOOOOO flat (skyrim hd2k). so while the texture is very pretty it seems very unreal at the same time.. The vanilla textures had a more realistic "bumpiness" is the only way i can describe it but were horribly low res ( some pathetically low). So i do look foward to installing this one however there a few texture mods i would still like to use and perhaps some select textures from HD 2k etc.

I just installed the official HD pack and removed my Skyrim 2K pack. Here's what I noticed:

-The flora isn't AS impressive as the 2K, but still better than original.

-Overall, everything looks more strung together and consistent (meaning no textures look out of place because 1 is higher than the other), and also a noticeable higher quality compared to vanilla. Debatable if it is better than 2K, but certainly not much worse.

-The water / sky textures still look a bit muddy and low res, so I will be using my mods for those if possible.

-Performance is more consistent with official pack vs. 2k+Vurts

I'd say it was a pretty nice free gift from Bethesda. Definitely worth downloading if you don't have any texture packs. Definitely worth trying over the custom ones as well to see which you like better. Take it for what it is. No one's forcing you to use it and it's free.