It is a texture pack after all,and it's available now! :D

Alithinos

Noticing some improvements. Not an epic improvement and some things are clearly more improved than others.

Nice, but nothing to be too bothered about waiting for, in other words.

I'm uploading a few very quickly taken screens which Ill post over in this thread, which seems to be about uploading pics and keeping out the chat.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a free pack, it is a pretty good improvement. Fairly certain that this is not some new pack that Bethesda worked on but instead the same defaults that the game was designed with. The compressed textures we got at release is because of the console releases so something like this for the PC should be considered default.

The Creation Kit looks pretty interesting. Will look into it more as time goes by. For now, all I want is for the new texture pack to not conflict with any of my current mods that replace texture files. Placing the ESP's higher on the mod list should make later texture loads override defaults but I am wondering if the non-ESP texture mods will be able to override the textures these new ESP's install.

I am wondering how this texture pack ended up at 3gb + in size? The quality of the new textures does not justify the download size at all. Maybe they used bad, or no compression.

It's literally every single texture used for the game which sums up to 3GB of content. If Skyrim wasn't compressed in the first place to fit on the Xbox 360 at release, then the PC version of the game would have been approximately around 8-9 GB of download rather than the 6GB we got it at.

People should stop looking at it like some great HD Texture pack. It's just the basic textures used by Bethesda released for their PC users coz they can support it unlike the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I am wondering how this texture pack ended up at 3gb + in size? The quality of the new textures does not justify the download size at all. Maybe they used bad, or no compression.

It's literally every single texture used for the game which sums up to 3GB of content. If Skyrim wasn't compressed in the first place to fit on the Xbox 360 at release, then the PC version of the game would have been approximately around 8-9 GB of download rather than the 6GB we got it at.

People should stop looking at it like some great HD Texture pack. It's just the basic textures used by Bethesda released for their PC users coz they can support it unlike the PS3 and Xbox 360.

I agree with this... though the archives don't include every texture from what I can tell; a lot of non-instanced textures aren't included. I presume that Bethesda downsized the textures that could appear most frequently and kept unique textures at original resolution to optimize things.

Makes me wonder who makes the decisions at Beth. I mean, really? 3GB for this..? The difference is NOMNIAL, at BEST.

Facepalm.

Don't facepalm; this is exactly what Bethesda ought to have released with the game for PC originally, much like they should've enabled SSE2 optimizations in the compiler for PC originally. It isn't so surprising as all of that, is it? :pirate:

Looks to me like it will be an easy decision to just stick with the fantastic HD packs provided here rather than waste time (and 3GB of space) downloading a mediocre pack from Bethesda that should have been available at launch. :)

It seems to me most of the previous poster have misunderstood something... or maybe i did.

It is a "HD texture pack" and not a "HD Re-Texture pack", or?

So,correct me when i am wrong, there should be nearly no difference to vanilla textures. It's the same textures, just in a higher resolution, therefore difference should only be noticeable when you are very close to it.