About the Creation Kit

Thunderwulf32

Okay, sounds like you are on the page that has across the upper left: "Steam" "View" "Friends" "Games" "Help", if that is the case, click on "View" and in the drop down select "Tools" and you will see a file that says Creation Kit. Double click that and download. Download time for me was 8 minutes.

So what this stupid Nexus website is saying that you HAVE to purchase Skyrim through Steam?

So, what if I bought this at a local retail store? What? I can't have the Creation Kit?

I bought it at a store, now I cannot download the Creation Kit?!

What a crock of CRAP!!

You obviously A) pirated the game or B) don't have it. A retail copy, purchased from a store, still requires Steam activation, whether you have the creation kit or not. All patches are loaded through Steam as well. If you did, in fact, buy it from a store, it should be in your Steam account and you can download the Creation Kit. And if you pirated it, I don't know why you're upset, because it's only a short matter of time before the Creation Kit is put out on pirate sites as well.

If you absolutely hate Steam you can always buy the game, install it from Steam, move it, and then crack it. Breaking the EULA is not piracy nor copyright infringement and modifying a program you legally own is protected under the fair use and reverse engineering sections of the DMCA and Copyright Act. I feel that's way more trouble than it's worth, plus it makes patching annoying and voids your rights to tech support (although it's unlikely to be enforced). But it isn't illegal to modify a program you bought any more than it's illegal to draw mustaches on Superman if you bought the comics. DC would probably prefer you don't do it, but even if they put a big "DO NOT ALTER THIS COMIC! By purchasing this comic you agree to these terms!" sticker in the back of the issue they can't legally enforce it. Like the old FBI Warning about copying VHS tapes it's a scare tactic that has no actual legal backing. Game "leasing" arguments usually fail in court except in fairly extreme circumstances and usually because another law was broken in the process.

I would still recommend just sucking it up and using Steam. It's a pretty decent service and all the big brother paranoia is a little ridiculous; the second they get too restrictive someone else will come out with a service that has less restrictions and they'll lose a huge portion of their customer base. Valve is a company that literally lives off customer trust; they certainly don't go out of their way to advertise. I'm fairly sure they'll think very hard about implementing policies that destroy that trust, and considering their habit of constantly reducing the price of games with constant sales and bundles all this worry about them selling mods, especially since we could still get them for free here at the Nexus sites, seems a bit misplaced.

And hey, if you did pirate it, they slashed the price down to $40 so now's a perfect time to support a great game.

Just sayin'

Dont know if this is any help, but if anyone is having trouble with CK i found that when you install it if you install it into your actual The Elder Scrolls file in Programs X86 it works. Well it did for me. I have the legit copy and steam was just being a fart for me. Eventually got it and doing it this way worked for me. Just thought id try and help :)

happy modding :D

It's unsettling to see how quickly people throw the "HE'S A PIRATE" label around. Knock it off.

He said he purchased it retail. That's all that needs to be said. I don't condone in any way piracy but an apology is in order here and people need to be very careful before lobbing those kinds of baseless accusations.