Windows 10 creators update game mode with FO4

Guest deleted2347999

Guest deleted2347999

Looking for some folks that have opted into the creator's update with the spiffy new game mode. It supposedly increases FPS peaks and averages by essentially turning off all non-essential functions in the Windows operating system.

I quit Fallout due to the engine issues that make large settlements and downtown destroy framerates. Was wondering if the game mode really made any difference. From what I've read, lower end systems get the majority of the benefit, whereas I have an upper mid-tier system with a GTX 1070.

FPS issues in downtown and large settlements are CPU bound, not GPU. You could have the most expensive GPU on the market and still get performance drops in the heavier areas of Fallout 4 if your CPU isn't up to snuff, or if you're hammering your CPU by using settings like high shadow distance or disabling combined meshes. Now, that being said, if your Fallout 4 performance is indeed being held back by your CPU, you could theoretically see a benefit from Windows 10's "game mode," because extra programs in the background would also be using CPU resources. The real question at that point is which programs it's disabling, and how much of an impact they actually have. To be honest, I'm thinking the kind of stuff it would disable is the kind of stuff that would have a negligible - if any - impact on performance, so like you mentioned yourself, the only people likely to see a benefit are people with low tier CPUs.

tl;dr - your 1070 isn't really the factor here, your CPU is. If you have a decent CPU you probably won't see any benefit to disabling background processes unless they are highly resource intensive, and programs that it's willing to disable automatically probably aren't very intensive. I haven't used Windows 10 though, and I don't know what programs it actually disables, so this is all purely theoretical.

Edited by Tukster