CK need steam to work and only available through steam

rabidNode

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

So everyone who doesn't say always "YES" when Valve says something is an evil,illegal,daedric,demon ?

Give me a break.

Perhaps somebody has 2 computers,one in his home and another somewhere else.

And the one in his home has Skyrim installed,but guess what,this person has to spend time outside his home.

Like his work,or a long trip,or just being outside with some friends.

And carries a laptop.

He would like to spend his time working on the Creation Kit making some mod...

But he CANT,because Bethesda decided so,and it's pretty obvious there are some brainwashed robotic people who where programmed by Valve in the internet,who call whoever doesn't want to be a costumer of Valve an evil illegial bad person.

People don't wanna steal Valve. They just don't want their products.

How on Earth some of you people support this ?

Forcing people to be costumers of certain private companies against their will ?

You are undermining other people's freedom,yours gets too,and worse of all you feel proud that you loose your consumer rights.

I mean come on,we said there are fanboys out there,but things like that go beyond fanboism,cross the line.

You should fight those who take your rights and treat you like a stupid,not support them.

Edited by Alithinos

The CK needing Steam to work is /only/ a problem if you're a pirate.

That's like saying that the only reason for not wanting to be forcefully fed 6 garlics a day,is if you are a vampire.

Or that the only reason to ever buy a knife is if you are a serial killer.

Which makes it nonsense and very illogical.

What if I have 2 computers smartass ?

And one of them is a media station connected to a TV that its only purpose is video games and movies,and I use a laptop for things like internet,photoshop,office,and work programs ? :wallbash:

Have you ever tried to do work on Windows 7 Media Center Edition ?

Edited by Alithinos

This entire steam process is like having a lock and the great flow that is here.

Steam can I MOD the game? Steam can I play the game? Steam can I have a patch for the game please?

The entire concept of MODifications to the game is much like open source software. Freely accessible source codes and tools to make them and clear and direct collaborations and information about it.

Steam is literally the complete opposite. The workshop works on a one click principle and we cant even download. The CK which is a free tool is no longer free because it is locked to Steam. Everything about MODding the learning the free access the lack of obstructions and open direct communications has been literally torn out from under us. If the Workshop even slightly increases revenue and demographics tracking for Steam we are in for even more obstructions and patches that will further marry us to Steam. I am not sure about anyone else here but the reason and the main reason at that I loved TES games and this community is because we got a base game and unlike other games we got to fix it tweak it and modify it without obstruction once the base game was delivered. There was no tracking or monitoring we had full access to patches and we did not have to figure out how to work with a 3rd party program that will not communicate with us in the least.

And all the people that are putting up their mods on the workshop and here I am not sure they realize that they are giving up their rights.

and really as stated many times the idea that I dont want Steam makes me someone who is doing something illegal is so ludicrous and illogical.

I do not want video cameras in my apartment to monitor me but its not because I am killing people in it.

With forced updates, dialup is largely unrealistic for Steam.

Steam Library>Skyrim>Properties>Updates>Automatic updates>Do Not Automatically Update This Game

The use of "Steam forces patches on me" is not a valid one since you can disable the updates. If you want to wait to have the game updated then you can do so. Only issue I can see is if you had to reinstall the game from scratch via a new download. That new download I believe would be pre-patched.

Seeing as how the PC version of Skyrim requires Steam to run I don't see how this could possibly be an issue.

Also, the guy that got banned in the beginning of the thread looked to me as if he was referring to the OP, not claiming to be a pirate. The OP, however, did clearly admit to using cracked games and hasn't been actioned. Pretty poor moderating in my opinion. I'll bet the entire thread just gets deleted though.

Edited by syrik77

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

So everyone who doesn't say always "YES" when Valve says something is an evil,illegal,daedric,demon ?

Give me a break.

Perhaps somebody has 2 computers,one in his home and another somewhere else.

And the one in his home has Skyrim installed,but guess what,this person has to spend time outside his home.

Like his work,or a long trip,or just being outside with some friends.

And carries a laptop.

He would like to spend his time working on the Creation Kit making some mod...

But he CANT,because Bethesda decided so,and it's pretty obvious there are some brainwashed robotic people who where programmed by Valve in the internet,who call whoever doesn't want to be a costumer of Valve an evil illegial bad person.

People don't wanna steal Valve. They just don't want their products.

How on Earth some of you people support this ?

Forcing people to be costumers of certain private companies against their will ?

You are undermining other people's freedom,yours gets too,and worse of all you feel proud that you loose your consumer rights.

I mean come on,we said there are fanboys out there,but things like that go beyond fanboism,cross the line.

You should fight those who take your rights and treat you like a stupid,not support them.

None of the scenarios you mentioned have any problem with Steam. I'm writing this on my laptop in North Carolina. I have Skyrim installed on both this computer and my desktop in Hawaii. The ONLY restriction is that I can't play on both computers at the same time if they're both online. Otherwise it just logs me in on my laptop and plays like normal. The issue you're talking about doesn't even exist.

Valve didn't create Skyrim. In fact, only a couple of games on Steam are created by Valve. They're a distribution service. It's like you guys are complaining about Spore's DRM after buying it from Gamestop and blaming Gamestop. Gamestop didn't make the game, and they didn't add the restrictions. And that's a bad example because the DRM in Skyrim is pretty non-intrusive as they go other than Steam functionality. At least I don't have to worry about the authentication servers shutting down because Steam doesn't care if you're online or not.

The workshop is an option. NO ONE is forcing you to use it. When you make something with the CK it is saved to your hard drive and you can upload your mod to Skyrim Nexus or Rapidshare or anywhere else and Valve and Bethesda don't care. I don't know why people keep complaining about an optional service that isn't going to affect them anyway because they've already decided not to use it. For the less technically savvy, who find installing 3rd party mod managers or dealing with compressed files intimidating, a one-click option in Steam is a great alternative. If anything it will only increase the popularity of modding and may turn people initially nervous about modding towards looking online for more sources.

I'm not a Valve fanboy, although I'm sure I look like it, I just hate it when people rage about something they've obviously given little to no thought about. Steam has some of the least intrusive DRM out there (*cough* Ubisoft *cough*). They offer games cheaper with more money going back to the developers than just about any other service.

Could it be improved? Absolutely. There are some definite issues with Steam, most noticeably that it's poorly optimized and prone to crashing and locking up. It's still 10x better than Origin and I never have to worry about losing my disk or it being scratched to unplayability (RIP Master of Orion II, RIP). Or, the most annoying, losing the stupid serial number.

I'll take some minor online activation over serial numbers, disks, and constant online internet connection any day.

You're right, the entire world doesn't have internet access, but I have a hard time believing that the majority of the world with computers capable of running games like Skyrim or Deus Ex doesn't. The internet is such an integral part of what makes computers useful it seems kind of like saying that the majority of people have TVs but not access to Cable or Satellite.

Considering how many games are now becoming free-to-play and online only, and being widely successful, the fact that some users aren't going to be able to use their service is unfortunately rather minor in the grand scheme of things, especially since internet access is only going to become more and more available as time goes on. So, like DRM, publishers have to work much harder to convince their bosses to cater to the powerful-computer-but-no-internet-access crowd, especially for a U.S. company primarily focused on U.S. customers, the vast majority of which have access to some sort of online connection.

Less than 30% of the U.S. has a broadband connection. With forced updates, dialup is largely unrealistic for Steam. Free tethering is all well and good, for those on the only major carrier that still allows it. Otherwise, it's going to $20 extra a month or more and you're going to quickly run afoul of the caps.

Sprint 3G Data

Used 8,110,403KB

That is what it looks like when you tether. That is 4 fold the cap of all other major providers. The only things I have downloaded for this billing period, were the update, the CK and some mods(mostly just .esp/.esm files). Everything else is normal browsing and a Youtube video here and there. If I had a good 4G connection, that would easily triple.

My computer isn't useless without internet access. It greatly limits what I do with it, but I still have my games, which is the entire reason I have a highend system. There might be a Starbucks out there I can connect to Steam at, but I'm sure as hell not about to drag my oversized tower into one.

Actually, over 68% of the U.S. has broadband, and about 72% of the U.S. plays video games, meaning that only about 4% of all U.S. gamers do not have broadband internet access. And that percent has probably become smaller in the last two years.

As another user pointed out, you can disable automatic updates for Steam, meaning that dial-up will work fine for single-player games. Although I do agree that the phone carrier data limits are ridiculous and it's one of the main reasons I'm still with Sprint. For sake of argument, though, I'm fairly sure there isn't a single place in the country (or anywhere that I know of) that gets 4G but not broadband internet, so it's kind of silly to throw that in there.

Are there some people in the U.S. with high-end systems that don't have reliable internet access? Sure. But let's face it, if you can afford a high-end system and a cell phone, you can probably afford internet access. As Blizzard said, the market for the high-end-computer-but-no-broadband is so small it's not worth marketing towards it. Does it suck for the less than 4%? Sure. But I still feel that if you can get by without internet you can deal with the relatively minor Steam issues. And for the 96% of us who do have internet access, automatic updates, game sales, preloaded preorders, indie games, and universal access to our games makes Steam a pretty sweet deal.