Bethesda HD pack override

ChurchofXenu

hello, first of all exuse my language i am French.

I have a BIG question : I buy Skyrim yesterday on steam, and i install the game with the official HD texture pack at the same time. After that, i install a lot of mods like Skyrim HD 2K, realistic water, retexture landscape, floral, etc...

and it seems that all the mods are working. Is that because i had first install the official pack HD and later i had install the others mods ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, first of all exuse my language i am French.

I have a BIG question : I buy Skyrim yesterday on steam, and i install the game with the official HD texture pack at the same time. After that, i install a lot of mods like Skyrim HD 2K, realistic water, retexture landscape, floral, etc...

and it seems that all the mods are working. Is that because i had first install the official pack HD and later i had install the others mods ?

The pack affects only texture mods addressing vanilla assets and which don't have their own ESPs. This means the changes in the ini pointed in this thread and disabling the Packs ESPs is still needed if willing to use such mods now or in the future. The advice is you do it anyway for the method chosen in that pack is awkward and soon or later will create problems in the long run (Bottom line, Textures changes should never use ESPs for it affects the object as a whole instead only the textures/meshes themselves).

Edited by nosisab

I think for NEW items that are imported the textures work, but for existing items that you just put a new texture over(body, weapon, armor, monster, etc) it will not work. Also, are you sure you are not looking at a new HD texture that Beth gave you?? The difference between bethesda HD textures and user HD textures would not be as big as old textures to either HD texture pack.

It still doasen't work for me. When I move my Texture file from data and leave the .esp's unchecked it loads the DLC fine, however when I move my Texture folder back in data it doasen't work again.

Don't move folders. Just modify the .ini files like was said and uncheck the .esp. The Bethesda HD pack is in a .bsa format and is not in the texture folder. If you make the game load them like that there is no conflict with any textures in your texture folder.

Wondering if game performance would improve in any way by unpacking ALL the BSA archives to the correct folder locations,

disabling BSA archives, and removing the [Archive] entries in Skyrim.ini and Skyrim_default.ini.

Assuming 'load loose files' would work this way.

If Bethesda's BSA archives are using compression; then, the game engine would need to unpack/load files during gameplay as necessary causing a lag/fluidity performance hit?

Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa

Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

HD pack would overwrite the vanilla files and you'd need to tweak things for mods; also, fix improperly named folders/files that came with the latest highres pack.

just wondering.. not that i notice much file loading lag anyway..