Changing Warpaint on an NPC

StratonAce

Has anyone had any success on changing warpaint on an NPC using the creation kit? For example, I'm trying to change Mjoll's warpaint. I can remove her default warpaint just fine, but any warpaint I add, while it shows up fine in the editor, will NOT show up in game. Although all other changes I made seem to have carried through.

I've tried several different combinations, but I simply cannot get any new warpaint to show on Mjoll's face after removing her default warpaint. Has anyone else had any luck in changing facepaints?

Also, anyone know how to add NEW facepaints? I don't see any definitions in the categories for them... It look like it you have the texture file in the right folder for facepaints it will simply be available when you go to choose a new one? I'll do some testing.

I'm experimenting with this now.

There seems to be a bug with skin tone layers defaulting using a mod that alters the settings on a NPC. Causing the NPC's skin tone to go to a generic skin tone no visible warpaint.

If I figure something out I'll let you know.

If anyone else knows something, do tell!

Yeah, I've continued to fiddle with settings and eventually I ended up with a Mjoll whose head was very dark grey. I don't know what happened there, but I didn't make a back-up of my esp, now I've got to start over. GRRRR!

anyway, I'll share if I find a solution as well. ;)

Here is how to remove her tat:

DELETED

EDIT: Disregard My 'Fix'. Doing what I posted removes the tattoo in the Creation Kit but does not fix the tattoo in game - weird.

Edited by merroe

In my experiments last night I was finding changing a tat would cause the skin to go do default pink color, work with a Orc and it will be very noticeable....

^Also the character I was working with Bogarkh Steel Heart, had default settings of "black" (The second one down) for the universal warpaints with interpolation of 0 except for the active one which was WarpaintRed01 and interpolation 1.0. Her settings for the orc warpaint were all "color Average" with interpolation of 0.

Yet when I set the active warpaint to black, interpolation to 0. Set the other Warpaint to warpaint red and IntPol 1.

Save, save Load game.

And her face was pink, no tat, and her skin town was changed as well.

Looking at her in the preview for the CK it looked fine.

I have a THOERY that it has to do with modifing currently existing NPCs. If you do so, it is just like when you type "Showracemenu" in game your character will default skintone and turn off warpaints.

I'll test this more once I get home from work.

Found this on the bethesda forums, I don't know if it will help you but it seems relevant.

JoelBurgess Posted Today, 05:12 AM

Bethesda Game Studios

Here's a technique that helps when modifying an NPC from the base game.

Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar.

Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change

Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list

Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green

Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0)

Click OK

In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...\Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm

Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed.

With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.

Edit: apparently this only works for existing npcs not newly created ones, i think its acts kinda like textures packs overriding.

I've tested it for a few npcs, and yes it worked for me. :thumbsup:

Edit: Ive found that some npcs (E.g Elisif the fair) still wont register in game unless you create an esp file as well as exporting the face with the above method. I guess its quite buggy at the minute.