Changing Warpaint on an NPC

StratonAce

<br>It isn't working for the custom race as they have their own warpaint files that are seperate from the vanilla ones.<br>

Hi azreil1,

sirwho`s solution is not valid for any custom mods which grabs to their own folders, because it isn´t the topic of this thread.

What you have to do is to overwrite the vanilla warpaints in the folder textures/actors/character/character assests/tintmasks. But therefor you need warpaints which comes as modder resource and have the same shape as the vanilla warpaints.

And then the solution of sirwho works, also with the original vanilla warpaints on a custom npc..

For example this mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/25211 contains the wp also as modder resource, downloadable from the miscellaneous section of the mod.

Edited by Startrooper55

• 4 months later...

sirwho's solution worked for the creation kit being unable to show the face tones, but eventhough they appear fine in the creation kit, when i save and load skyrim, the warpaint, makeup and hair all revert back to default. Then i load the CK again to find out that despite it "saving" it has loaded in the creation kit as default again. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

• 2 months later...

i just found an easy way to remove scars and warpaint. it may not be a good idea to do this, but here is how i did it. I was editing rayya, and wanted to give her hair, and take away her scars. So, what i did was to go into the traits tab, and change her into an argonian. The argonian face was all messed up, but i was not going to leave her as an argonian. I noticed when i went to the character gen parts tab, the scar was gone. I changed her back to redguard, and viola, the scar was gone, and so was the warpaint.

P.S. as i suspected, this generated the grey face bug. I fixed this by selecting the npc in the object window, and selecting ctrl + F4 on the keyboard. not sure if you can distribute a file like that, but that did fix the problem. I went back into the game, and she is sort of a babe now. She is still quite dark, but i think she is just a bit lighter than she was.

now i have her set as essential, wearing a nice ladies' elven dress, (cranberry) and dual wielding flintlock pistols. (i chose this weapon specifically because they do not show up worn on the body, so she looks like an innocent pretty lady wearing a lovely dress, but she's packin' heat under that dress. ;-)

Edited by kar2nz

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I am looking at a way to change Vilja's look.

I managed to change her race (to redguard, yeah I know the voice is weird) and hair (to Apachi's) but I am getting 3 issues:

1/ Face color different from body

2/ No warpaints even if they show in the Creation Kit (vanilla warpaints)

3/ Eye color coming back to default in game and in the Creator Kit (eyes from a mod, not sure which one)

Have tried all solutions from this topic nothing works...

This is a very very old issue, I am sure someone somewhere figured out a solution!

I am thinking there might be more to do with the tintmask folder as I don't really understand why removing it and putting it back is working in some cases but not mine... (I am a total noob in modding though)

• 5 months later...

Hello misters and ladies, im happy to write this for the community. I think i've found a solid way to render newly created NPCs warpaints... look, it's nothing magic nor a hack or something...it's just a damn flag.

When u create your new npc(or modifying an existing one) and add to him your warpaint/dirt, you must NOT CHECK "Is Chargen Face Preset", and after in the editor Object window do as already mentioned above, in the actor tree find your npc and press [CTRL]+[F4], it will be asked to you to export Facegen data for the selected npcs. Click ok and look into Skyrim/data/textures/actors/characters/facegendata. You have your tinted face in .tga and .dds and it's easy to modify if u have some GIMP/Photoshop skills...remember that the files must be identincal or some glitchy events may occurs.

The interpolation value [with range 0-1] on the Facegen tab works like the opacity in photoshop, the nearest to 0 the lower the opacity, the nearest to 1 the higher the opacity.

It's working like a charm for me. i've took 3 days of workaround to have the exact idea ive got in my mind. that damn flag, that i wanna remember another time MUST BE UNCHECKED. You will also notice that if you have started from an existing preset npc (and is located into Actors>Actor>Presets object tree), when u uncheck the Chargen Flag, your actor will be moved on Actors>Actor>Actor.

That is the only way i've accomplished this. So i suppose it's important the actor must be correctly located in Actors>Actor>Actor.

I hope that can help everyone who had my same problem. Remember to share your work if you are happy with it, i've earned experience from other modders, so i say thanks to you.
Happy NPCing!!!

p.s. i add a screenshot of my newly and working created npcs from scratch to game![sorry for bad resolution]

Hello misters and ladies, im happy to write this for the community. I think i've found a solid way to render newly created NPCs warpaints... look, it's nothing magic nor a hack or something...it's just a damn flag.
When u create your new npc(a copy of an existing one or a totally new one) and add your warpaint, you must NOT CHECK "Is Chargen Face Preset", and after in the editor Object window do as already mentioned above, in the actor tree find your npc and press [CTRL]+[F4], it will be asked to you to export Facegen data for the selected npcs. Click ok and look into Skyrim/data/textures/actors/characters/facegendata. You have your tinted face in .tga and .dds and it's easy to modify if u have some GIMP/Photoshop skills...remember that the files must be identincal or some glitchy events may occurs.

The interpolation value [with range 0-1] on the Facegen tab works like the opacity in photoshop, the nearest to 0 the lower the opacity, the nearest to 1 the higher the opacity.

It's working like a charm for me. i've took 3 days of workaround to have the exact idea ive got in my mind. that damn flag, that i wanna remember another time MUST BE UNCHECKED. You will also notice that if you have started from an existing preset npc (and is located into Actors>Actor>Presets object tree), when u uncheck the Chargen Flag, your actor will be moved on Actors>Actor>Actor.

That is the only way i've accomplished this. So i suppose it's important the actor must be correctly located in Actors>Actor>Actor.

I hope that can help everyone who had my same problem. Remember to share your work if you are happy with it, i've earned experience from other modders, so i say thanks to you.
Happy NPCing!!!

p.s. i add a screenshot of my newly and working created npcs from scratch to game![sorry for bad resolution]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...