Cancelling DLC?

Braclo

So yesterday the HD texture pack got released, and being curious, I decided to try it out. After selecting it though, I realized it is 3GB big and decided to stop it since I can't wait for it to finish...

Well to my surprise, there seem to be no way to cancel the DLC at all. There is no button to cancel download or no option to manage the DLC you selected.

And worst of all, I can't play Skyrim anymore since it tells me the DLC have to finish downloading first. If I launch it offline mode, it tells me the game isn't ready to be played.

I have uninstalled Skyrim, also just to realize that the DLC stay there, it just starts downloading again.

Seriously, is it that hard for Steam to program a "Cancel Download" button, or at least give a "Manage DLC" option so that you can decide what has to download?

This is the reason why I hate Steam... sloppy programming.

The only option I have now is to use SKSE, but as soon as a update for Skyrim gets released in the future, ill be stuck with the 3GB download.

And just for in case anyone is wondering why I am so annoyed by just 3GB... im on a 384kbps connection... I don't even want to think how messed up it would be if I was on a dial-up connection.

Does anyone have any tips how I can fix this? I already sent Steam a support ticket, but still haven't received a reply.

Edited by Braclo

In steam try changing your download settings to a US server, your speeds will probably improve, also using SKSE you can download whilst playing the game.

Just let it download, play and be happy :)

In steam try changing your download settings to a US server, your speeds will probably improve, also using SKSE you can download whilst playing the game.

Just let it download, play and be happy :)

Thing is... 384kbps is my maximum speed... its not cause the server is slow, its my actual internet speed. Changing it to a US server will not improve it all for me.

Im forever stuck with a 3GB DLC now that have to be downloaded whenever I install the game.

Maybe it's just me, but for Steam not having the option to manage something so simple on a piece of software forced on anyone that want to play Skyrim is pretty bad.

Sorry if I sound snappy, just a bit annoyed at the moment.

Edited by Braclo

Thanks for the heads up, Living in the Parties Republc of China, the fastest speeds I've ever achieved where 70 kbps. Downloading Jasus' sword mod was an overnight job :rolleyes: . As the DLC is free is it possible to torrent or is it best just giving up on the thing?

Thanks for the heads up, Braclo. I'm in the same situation as you, internet speed wise. I came here specifically to find out if I could continue playing while the DLC was downloading. Just had foot surgery and am off work this week, and I didn't want to lose my sudden glut of play time! It'll take me several days to download that 3g, so I guess I'll just wait on it till I'm back at work.

Thanks for the heads up, Living in the Parties Republc of China, the fastest speeds I've ever achieved where 70 kbps. Downloading Jasus' sword mod was an overnight job :rolleyes: . As the DLC is free is it possible to torrent or is it best just giving up on the thing?

I know the feeling. A bit more than a year ago I was still on dial-up. Took forever to download mods. At least now with the Nexus Mod Manager there is resumable downloads, making it a bit more convenient, especially when mods fail to download cause of the slow connection.

Thanks for the heads up, Braclo. I'm in the same situation as you, internet speed wise. I came here specifically to find out if I could continue playing while the DLC was downloading. Just had foot surgery and am off work this week, and I didn't want to lose my sudden glut of play time! It'll take me several days to download that 3g, so I guess I'll just wait on it till I'm back at work.

Your welcome. I would recommend anyone on a slow connection to not install the DLC, or if you really want to have it, use SKSE while it downloads. For me though, that is a 23 hour download if I keep it on all the time, which ain't really possible. Will just have to backup that DLC when it finally finishes if I ever uninstall the game, format my pc or get a new one so that I don't have to download it again... that or Steam wakes up and program a simple option in to manage DLC, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Braclo