first post: Making a new dragon, i have questions too...

Almightygir

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I don't know what scares me more, the red one because it reminds me of the Dragonlance reds and Drogon, or the blue one because it reminds me of Saphira. Keep up the great work! I originally got Skyrim just for the dragons, but I've fallen in love with the world of Nirn that Bethesda has created. Curse my love of worlds that aren't real! I almost always get more wrapped up in those ones than in the real one :whistling:

This looks absolutely amazing, some serious detail in this. I can't say I have any criticism, though I wish I had some for you. Would you be willing to share what it's like working with Zbrush? I have tried so many times to get into it and I just can't for whatever reason. Yet I use sculptris almost religiously for organic models.

I'll be looking forward to this being released!

Almightygir

Please bear in mind that my critique was not made in order to offend or upset you. You asked for comments and critique so I gave you some comments and critique. :)

I only pointed out that for some players arms on the dragons can be a little bit out of place, but it's your art and of course you are entitled to do whatever you want to do.

Anyway, your dragon design, with or without arms, is very lore friendly and will certainly make a fine addition to many gamers mod list.

Just curious, what are your next plans for the dragon?

Also, given that you now have a solid model, will you use it as a base for more dragon variants?

@niagra127 - Hey, i use zbrush for almost everything, in fact there are a lot of models i make which start off as zspheres! the guys who made sculptris were recently bought by pixologic as well, so much of the sculptris technology (on the fly tesselation etc.) has been integrated into zbrush, the new dynamesh system is very similar. most likely your biggest hurdle will be the interface, but other than that if you can sculpt in one package you can sculpt in another!

@BolasNicol - oh dude i'm sorry, i didn't mean to offend, and i took none either. i was just giving my reasons =]

One thing i'm looking into is how flexible skyrims shader network is. i get the feeling it won't be able to do what i want to do, but the end goal is to have the dragon rideable, with a saddle and everything, and for the player to be able to choose the colour dragon they want from an RGB slider.

@jimhsu - i have plenty of friends both amature and professional who animate, this won't be a problem.

I have been wanting to learn how to model and stuff and be as good as this. I just cant get the hang of it. (feel free to point me to some good tutorials. I have Autodesk Mudbox and would like to know if any other program would be good to use. Feel free to message me and we can chat about my inability to model well and you could give me some links please). From what i see and from what i have read in this forum I desperately hope you follow through with this. Cause i am going to be honest i love it so much. Its really amazing. Props to you. You are a really amazing modeler. I hope you make some more really cool stuff. Its people like you that give us noobs inspiration to try our hand at creating our own ideas. I thank you for that.

This is a true work of art. Like you said, there are no limits to art :)

Btw, I have a little suggestion. The difference between the inner mouth (skin) and the body (scale) is a bit too strong. It would be good if you added a mid way texture, something like a growing, somewhat pink scale coming out of the mouth.

Also, the scales on the legs are bit too stiff, anatomically speaking, it would make it hard for the dragon to move. Try to place scales on more selective spots, try to imagine yourself having to fend against animals and swords, where would it be likely to have scales? :D

On the human part, isn't there a way to export models from CK to 3D models? If not, try contacting people from those armor replacements or new armor, they could give you some info on scale :)

Are you a professional artist or just has modeling as a hobby?

Edited by Tprocheira