$60 for a digital download? Really?

WeissYohji

Why, Bethesda? Why charge us $60 for a digital download of anything? Oh, sure, there's this Steam sale where it's been marked down to $40, but that's still far too much for a digital download! I could see that kind of pricing for the physical game, but there is no reason why we should be charged an arm and a leg for the digital content! what the f*** are they even thinking with this? You can only mark up a can of soda so much before people refuse to buy it. Likewise, you can only charge so much for a download before nobody wants to buy it! Why must they charge us this much? If I wanted to pay the full price for the game, that's what the physical retail version is for!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, Bethesda? Why charge us $60 for a digital download of anything? Oh, sure, there's this Steam sale where it's been marked down to $40, but that's still far too much for a digital download! I could see that kind of pricing for the physical game, but there is no reason why we should be charged an arm and a leg for the digital content! what the f*** are they even thinking with this? You can only mark up a can of soda so much before people refuse to buy it. Likewise, you can only charge so much for a download before nobody wants to buy it! Why must they charge us this much? If I wanted to pay the full price for the game, that's what the physical retail version is for!

No one cares about a piece of plastic... not even Bethesda. You're paying for the software.

If the price bothers you that much then just wait till it goes down.

Uhm, is this really news for anyone? Digital versions of games on Steam are generally just as expensive (in many cases more expensive) than buying the same game on a DVD. This has been the case for many years now.

And besides, publishers usually set the prices so if you're going to complain at anyone, send an email to Zenimax.

You're purchasing the same product. The value is in the years of development, not in the packaging.

That $40 digital download is cheaper than you can find it for in stores either way.

that doesn't justify the price for me. it's just like buying music - i can't even start to understand why people pay $0.99 for a rubbish iTunes download MP3. when i buy a game i like to get the whole thing - the fancy packaging, thick instruction manual and free cloth map etc. if all you get is a digital download then there's no incentive for me to pay for it.

Umm... you know what the going price is for DVD's these days? Like $20 for 100. Retail.

The combination of DVD, packaging and whatever pittance of a manual they deign to include these days amouts to maybe $5 worth of stuff. Tops. Theres no discount associated between digital purchases and the hard copy.

You should all count yourselves lucky that $60 is the most you're paying. Try living in Australia. Normal cost of Skyrim on Steam - $90. Sale cost of Skyrim - $60. And our dollar is at parity (actually a little over parity in our favour) with the US$. Welcome to Australia! The land of the computer game rip off! :mad: There's a reason why I don't buy games on Steam unless they're at a 50% discount or more.

You're purchasing the same product. The value is in the years of development, not in the packaging.

That $40 digital download is cheaper than you can find it for in stores either way.

that doesn't justify the price for me. it's just like buying music - i can't even start to understand why people pay $0.99 for a rubbish iTunes download MP3. when i buy a game i like to get the whole thing - the fancy packaging, thick instruction manual and free cloth map etc. if all you get is a digital download then there's no incentive for me to pay for it.

Then consider it the convenience of not having to make a trip to the store where gas and taxes alone cost more than the materials to make a physical copy.

If you think a physical copy is somehow worth more than $20 extra then you might want to rethink your arguement.

Edited by TheFourthHorse

Uhm, is this really news for anyone? Digital versions of games on Steam are generally just as expensive (in many cases more expensive) than buying the same game on a DVD. This has been the case for many years now.

And besides, publishers usually set the prices so if you're going to complain at anyone, send an email to Zenimax.

That's still no reason to make us pay as much for the actual disc when we only care about the content! The prices they're charging are f***ing highway robbery!

This is also why they never should have forced us to use Steam to play Skyrim. It's not even multiplayer!