Bad performance but decent specs

MLGMikefgts

I stopped playing Fallout 4 due to the performance issues I had and when I tried to fix them it just... Didn't work.

Thing is that I picked the game up again as I still had the performance issues. I've tried downloading every performance fix there is and I've even watched videos of others having slightly worse specs than me but a higher FPS overall. So... I ask what's the issue?

I suspect it has something to do with one thing that shouldn't affect the performance but is frying my graphicscard anyway due to some error but I can't seem to find it... Or I've not done enough research for fixes.

Specs

RAM: using 7099 mb but 16635 avaliabe (?) 16 gig total?

64-bit Windows 8.1 - 6.3 build 9600

Intel ® Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.5GHz 8 CPUs

Graphics card: GTX870m 11128 mb.

I can run For Honor with good graphics but Fallout 4 runs like a... I don't even know.

Got everything on the lowest settings even if I don't need to and I've tried Shadowboost, ENB boost and optimized vanilla textures. I've also fiddled around in the INI files.

Anyone for help?

Edited by MLGMikefgts

If you’ve done the research on trying to get the game to run better on your rig, then you would know that FO4 is just poorly optimized to begin with and there are countless threads of people complaining about performance. People using a GTX 1080ti still complain about performance. That’s par for the course with FO4. It's just the way the game runs. I’d say you just have to accept that, but I know that’s not what you want to hear.

You don’t mention the number of mods you are using, and that can be a factor as well. If you are using any scrapping mods that require changes to your .ini file to disable precombined meshes, that will definitely impact performance throughout the game. Running off of an HDD or an SSD? That’s a factor as well, especially for load times. Textures replacements will load faster from an SSD and even faster if they are packed in a BA2 archive as opposed to being loose files...another impact on performance to consider.

For what it’s worth, one of the three machines I test my mods on before publishing has specs similar to yours, with the exceptions of having 24GB of RAM, a GTX 860m (2GB of VRAM) with Win 10. It’s an ASUS ROG laptop. I personally consider the 860m I have to be on the low end of what can be used to get a “decent” experience out of this game.

Are you sure your VRAM specs on the 870m are correct? I was under the impression it was only a 3GB card. A card with 11128mb as you indicate would put it into Titan Xp territory, no?

It might also be worth looking at your integrated Intel HD card and simply disabling it to see if that helps. The game should be using the Nvidia card, but if the Intel card is still enabled that might be an issue. Forcing the game to use only one available graphics card might help. There was another user in the forums complaining about performance a while back. Can’t find the thread, but he reported disabling his integrated card seem to help. Your mileage may vary. I disabled the integrated graphics in my Asus machine on day one. I was using the machine solely for games, and the notion of using the Intel card was pretty pointless for me.

On the Asus rig, the best I can ever get in downtown Boston without setting everything to low and medium is no better than 40fps. I also have to turn off nice things like wetness and ambient occlusion in order to get anything above 40 in most areas of the game. Using an ENB in my case actually made things worse so I no longer do any testing with one on that machine.

You also haven’t said what resolution you’re playing at. Try a lower resolution and see what improvements if any, that you get. I use 1080p on the Asus with and get the performance mentioned above.

If you are using god rays, you might look at this tweak:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15211/?

Even setting god rays to low, they still will give a performance hit because again, they are just implemented poorly. The above tweak is a console command run as a bat file that adjusts the god ray parameters so they actually work the way they are supposed to...even at Ultra. I use it on all my machines and it does make a difference and really improves the look of the game. You can also set it to auto run by adding a line to your custom .ini file so it runs at game start without you having to do anything.

Not sure if any of this will help, but hope it does somewhat.

I have an I5 CPU 24gigs of ram, and a 1070 8gig video card.

Nothing I could do help performance until I put this game on a SSD. A slow hard drive seems to affect this game more than any I currently play. A 7200 rpm HHD might also help, but I have a very old HHD that I think is 5600 rpm

I am using ENB to cap my FPS at 58, but still only get 30-40 FPS in downtown areas, but my load times are 10 times faster.

Now if I can solve my game crashing due to Steam errors I would be set.

Edited by bill8872