[LE] Help for combining mods I guess.

VIIVII

Hello, hopefully you're reading this.

So anyway I need help. I have limited modding experience, but I really want to do this idea. First off though, does one need permission to tinker on someone else's mods even though they have no plans of releasing anything, just use it for their own personal playthroughs? So here is what I need help with, I'm sure most of you have searched through the weapon mods and seen the Clontarf sword and the Viking Dragon sword? Both are made by the same author(can't remember his name right now) but I simply want to take the blade from the Viking dragon sword and put it on the Clontarf sword handle. If possible I'd like to use the Dragon sword's scabbard with this creation. So what tools would I need and roughly how difficult do all of you think it would be?

For personal use, you can modify anything as you see fit. You're just not allowed to upload or otherwise distribute other people's work without their explicit permission.

The technical side is a different story though. It IS doable, but it would require some work in a 3D modeling program such as Blender (IMHO the only viable freeware solution for this). Nifskope alone won't suffice, since you would have to change/delete parts of meshes. AFAIK, Nifskope can't do that.

Here's what you would have to do:

1. Either get an old version of Blender (2.49) and the Nif importing/exporting plugin for it. This way you could open the nif files directly in blender. OR you can work with the current version of Blender. In this case you will need to use NIfskope to export the meshes in OBJ. format, then open these converted meshes in Blender.

2. Combine and adjust the meshes in Blender. Maybe you'll need to re-do part of the UV-mapping too. This requires basic skills in Blender (or other 3D modeling software you have access to).

3. Re-export your new meshes (export directly with Blender 2.49 or export them in 3DS-Format with current version).

4. Re-assemble your new sword in Nifskope. If you use the current version of Blender, you will need an older version of Nifskope (like 1.13, which is still available - the current version of NIfskope doesn't have the import options you'll need).

That's about what you'd have to do. In short, you'll have to learn the basics of 3D modeling (or rather editing) for Skyrim. Don't know if it's worth the effort.

At other times I'd assist you with this, but ATM I just don't have enough spare time due to professional obligations.

You're welcome. :cool:

This tutorial just came to my mind:

It's "old" in terms of the internet-age, but the method explained in detail in the tutorial still works. You will need Nifskope 1.13 (or older) and any version of Blender you like. OFC, the tutorial is about exporting custom-made meshes from Blender to Skyrim, but it gives a good insight into this part of the task and also a good impression, what you will have to deal with. ^^