Bug with Skyrim or CK?

Hatsodoom

Ok this is odd, maybe someone here can help me out. I'm making a dungeon and so far it's going pretty well. I just connected the dungeon to the outside world (A Tamriel Cell). The door outside-to-in works and the door in-to-outside works fine. The actual issue is completely unrelated, but this was the last thing I did before the issue occured so I thought I'd mention it.

So here's the problem. Near the start of the dungeon, as you approach a lever, a Frost Rune will explode under the floor. (I take no damage unless I noclip under the floor.) I did not place any frost runes in the dungeon. Fire runes yes, but none are in that room. I went into the CK to see what was going on, but there's nothing there! I checked the entire object window too, nothing is there that I didn't add! I've reloaded the dungeon in game a few times and it always goes off at the same spot. I've even tried removing the floor, it still detonates! What the heck is going on and how to I get rid of this invisible, seemingly nonexistant Frost Rune?!

Edited by Hatsodoom

Most likely it was accidentally placed, it is hidden under some other object, and the CK mod data base may bugged, and not showing the existence.

When you run into these quirky problems, rule of thumb, save your mod, back up your mod in a separate directory. Close the CK, restart your computer, restart the CK, reload the mod, and go back to the offending interior cell.

Then! use the box on the top right side of the cell contents window, and type in the partial search keyword "frost". Look at the selected list of objects below, and you'll probably find the un-intentionally placed frost rune.

The CK data base does sometimes get confused, and not show everything that is in the esp file and loaded data base. Reloading the CK fixes it.

Occasionally, I've found that the problem is NOT in the CK software, but the direct X drivers for the video card in the computer which is attempting, but failing to render the object.

Trust the contents list more than the Render window.

-

Edited by VanKrill

I shut off my PC last night, turned it on the next morning and after I saw this post, opened back up the CK, opened the mod after backing it up and checked both the object and render window. There was still nothing there. I went into the game and it still explodes in the exact same spot. Whatever this is, the CK CANNOT find it, but something is there. There is one silver lining to this though. Considering it's attatched to a X,Y,Z location and not an object, if I move the ENTIRE dungeon a little to the west, the spot with the rune will be beyond the eastern most wall, so it won't matter then. Still, how the crap does something like this even happen?

Edited by Hatsodoom

I shut off my PC last night, turned it on the next morning and after I saw this post, opened back up the CK, opened the mod after backing it up and checked both the object and render window. There was still nothing there. I went into the game and it still explodes in the exact same spot. Whatever this is, the CK CANNOT find it, but something is there. There is one silver lining to this though. Considering it's attatched to a X,Y,Z location and not an object, if I move the ENTIRE dungeon a little to the west, the spot with the rune will be beyond the eastern most wall, so it won't matter then. Still, how the crap does something like this even happen?

Then the frost rune is being added to the cell in question by another esp, and mod, which is loaded after the first mod.

Vary your load order.

Also, temp disable mod esps one at a time, load the game and run it, so see which esp is loading the frost rune.

Is the cell in question, one that you created from scratch? or a cell which you duplicated and then modded? Or a cell which is part of the vanilla game, that you only added items to?

Keep in mind, it might have BEEN in your mod at one time, added to your save file, and the save file in putting back, even though you deleted it from the your esp file.

Try loading an older save file, working your way back to the spot, and see if the rune persists.

There is a Save File editor tool which can be used to remove specific references from a save file with unwanted junk.

Save files often have older versions of scripts still running in them, which the mod maker has long ago removed from the mod esp file.

Yet the diagnostic script is still spitting stuff to the screen. The script is held in the save file, not the esp.

-

Edited by VanKrill

It's a cell I duplicated, but i don't think it had any frost runes either. It might be another mod though, I did recently impliment some new ones, I'll try disabling them and see what happens. I know it's not a save issue as I have NEVER put a frost rune into the cell. If it was fire rune that might be the issue, but it's not, it's a frost.

Update: Yup, another mod was doing it. When I disabled one of the mods after the esp file for my dungeon in the loader, it didn't explode. It's a mod I don't need, so I can just get rid of it. Thanks.

Edited by Hatsodoom

It's a cell I duplicated, but i don't think it had any frost runes either. It might be another mod though, I did recently impliment some new ones, I'll try disabling them and see what happens. I know it's not a save issue as I have NEVER put a frost rune into the cell. If it was fire rune that might be the issue, but it's not, it's a frost.

Update: Yup, another mod was doing it. When I disabled one of the mods after the esp file for my dungeon in the loader, it didn't explode. It's a mod I don't need, so I can just get rid of it. Thanks.

Glad I could help.