easy yet important question about scripts

TheBxushis

Hi, i have finally managed to learn the basic of scripting, and i'm in the route of lauching my fist mod, yet, there are some small issues i encounter when modding.

i want to actually work on elements already existent in the game instead of just adding new stuff, as a result, some changes only takes effect with a fresh game. for exmaple.:

Trainer Script.

Faction Script.

and some minor that can be fixed in game such as weight.

why does this happens, is there a basic tutorial that explain how to implement new fucntions to the vanilla game in a used save game?

also, is there a problem if i edit some vanilla PSC/PEX scripts? (add simple stuff, such as combat behavior, new dialogue and interaction)

Edited by TheBxushis

Some elements are baked into game saves, so adding mods to try to change them doesn't work. This includes the values of the properties of each instance of an active script. Changing the properties in a mod has no effect unless the script is completely closed down and re-started (for example, by stopping a restarting a quest that the script is attached to). Generally, it's okay to add new scripts to an existing save game, but not to change ones that are already there.

It's not generally a good idea to publish a mod that alters the vanilla scripts, because it can have unexpected effects in conjunction with other mods that rely on them being unchanged and there's no easy way to know which mods those might be. It's better to make your variant script distinct (by giving it a different name) and change the quests and so on that use it, to use yours instead. You might get away with it, if you only add extra functions to a script provided that only your mod actually calls them; but then, you might as well put them in a separate script anyway.

Some elements are baked into game saves, so adding mods to try to change them doesn't work. This includes the values of the properties of each instance of an active script. Changing the properties in a mod has no effect unless the script is completely closed down and re-started (for example, by stopping a restarting a quest that the script is attached to). Generally, it's okay to add new scripts to an existing save game, but not to change ones that are already there.

It's not generally a good idea to publish a mod that alters the vanilla scripts, because it can have unexpected effects in conjunction with other mods that rely on them being unchanged and there's no easy way to know which mods those might be. It's better to make your variant script distinct (by giving it a different name) and change the quests and so on that use it, to use yours instead. You might get away with it, if you only add extra functions to a script provided that only your mod actually calls them; but then, you might as well put them in a separate script anyway.

Thanks, for now the changes i made so far was done in the quest section. IE.:

When a quest given by a npc is completed, they give a improved/rebalanced reward. also i did add extra dialogue (Basically unfuzzed, edited on cantasia, then added back so the vanilla npc has more interactions)

some fuctions only works in a fresh save. Trainer script runs only once, if loaded in a save game, the hability doesn't work.

there is for now only one script that i have edited, the other 3 is separated, but i will eventually port to a separate script, althougt the changes i have maded are small.