Scripting - First Attempt

GomuGomu64

Basically, I've made a Hunger script that is added to a quest, which is started at run-time, and can never be finished/abandoned.

This, being my first script ever, I presume it is completely error-prone. I would be most grateful if errors could be found and detailed, so I may fix 'em and not make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks in advance!

scriptName Hunger extends Quest

GlobalVariable Property Hunger Auto

Function AAAFunction()                       
 RegisterForUpdateGameTime(.25) 
endFunction

Event OnUpdateGameTime()
if Hunger > 1
	Hunger - 1
elseif Hunger = 1
	Game.GetPlayer().ModActorValue("health", 0)
	debug.MessageBox("Oh dear. You didn't eat, so you died. Sucks to be you!")
elseif Hunger <=10
	debug.MessageBox("Ah, your stomach beckons for bacon. Might be a good idea to eat. You know, being hungry and all.")
endif

UnregisterForUpdateGameTime

endEvent

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
if Hunger = 99
	Hunger + 1
	debug.MessageBox("Your belly is full, your mouth tastes fantastic. Life is good.")
elseif Hunger = 100
	debug.MessageBox("You have already eaten! You don't want to get indigestion, now.")
elseif Hunger = 50
	debug.MessageBox("The gurgling has stopped, but you probably eat more. You fat pig.")
endif
endEvent

Edit: I have another problem. I slightly edited the script so that it would actually work (Following this short guide on making a script run at the start of the game.

Function init()

GlobalVariable Property Hunger Auto

Function AAAFunction()                       
 RegisterForUpdateGameTime(0.25)
endFunction

Event OnUpdateGameTime()
if Hunger > 1
	Hunger - 1
elseif Hunger = 1
elseif Hunger <=10
	debug.MessageBox("Ah, your stomach beckons for bacon. Might be a good idea to eat. You know, being hungry and all.")
endif

endEvent

if Hunger = 99
	Hunger + 1
	debug.MessageBox("Your belly is full, your mouth tastes fantastic. Life is good.")
elseif Hunger = 100
	debug.MessageBox("You have already eaten! You don't want to get indigestion, now.")
elseif Hunger = 50
	debug.MessageBox("The gurgling has stopped, but you probably eat more. You fat pig.")
endif
endEvent

debug.MessageBox("Hunger plugin loaded!")
endFunction

I get this from the Compiler Output :

Compiling "Hunger"...
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(5,15): no viable alternative at input 'Property'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(14,8): no viable alternative at input 'Hunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(29,8): no viable alternative at input 'Hunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(31,8): no viable alternative at input 'Hunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(36,5): no viable alternative at input '.'
No output generated for Hunger, compilation failed.

Any idea on how I can fix that?

Edit2: I changed the script-property to a Global Variable, fixing that "No viable alternative at input 'Property'" compile error, however I still get errors.

This is the slightly changed script :

Function AAFunction()
debug.MessageBox("Hunger plugin loaded!")
endFunction

Function AAAFunction()                       
 RegisterForUpdateGameTime(0.25)
endFunction

Event OnUpdateGameTime()
if fAAGGHunger > 1
	fAAGGHunger - 1
elseif fAAGGHunger = 1
elseif fAAGGHunger <=10
endif

endEvent

if fAAGGHunger = 99
	fAAGGHunger + 1
elseif fAAGGHunger = 100
elseif fAAGGHunger = 50
endif
endEvent

And these are it's compiler errors :

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "Hunger"...
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(14,8): no viable alternative at input 'fAAGGHunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(26,4): no viable alternative at input 'fAAGGHunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(29,8): no viable alternative at input 'fAAGGHunger'
C:\Program Files\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\Hunger.psc(31,8): no viable alternative at input 'fAAGGHunger'
No output generated for Hunger, compilation failed.

Can someone please help me resolve these errors? Can't save the script without doing this, and I'll need to shut this compy off soon XD

Edited by GomuGomu64

Oh jeez mate, I just started scripting like, 5 minutes ago. I basically asked questions on the forums (For things that didn't yield results on the CreationKit.com site) and worked from there. I also took a gander at a few scripts that maybe-kinda-sorta resembled a bare-bones of what I wanted to do.

Best go on the site, follow the tutorials, and when your stumped, ask questions here. The people 'ere are good.

Basically, I've made a Hunger script that is added to a quest, which is started at run-time, and can never be finished/abandoned.

This, being my first script ever, I presume it is completely error-prone. I would be most grateful if errors could be found and detailed, so I may fix 'em and not make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Great work I can't fault the logic here. I can see some interesting possibilities for the player e.g. being poisoned, reduced stamina etc.

Thanks in advance!

Great work I can't fault the logic here. I can see some interesting possibilities for the player e.g. being poisoned, reduced stamina etc.

Aye, but I slightly changed it because I mis-read a part of the code which I followed from a tutorial (That is now hyperlinked on my edited post), and I get compiler errors.

Mind checking out the edited script please? :3

I would recommend creating a global variable called fAA<Modder's Initials>hunger variable i.e fAAGGhunger

rather than using a non globle variable that will be used by multiple function/scripts.

It will be easier to access that way if you are writing numours scripts that need to access that data.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also I'd make Magic effect bonuses for Well Fed or Hungry.

i.e

full = +10% Health/Sta Regen

-----------------------

Hungry = 25% HP drain

Mal-nurished = 50% hp drain

Starving = 75% health drain