SPECIAL-based skill advancement rates

redeyesandlonghair

This is a simple idea... I'm wondering if the implementation would be simple though.

Currently, the rate at which your skills increase is determined by Intelligence. Fact is, your special stats have some effects, but in the end it's your skills that determine how powerful you are. This means that high Intelligence is the best decision to make. Many mods attempt to mitigate this, but in the end it always comes down to Intelligence being the best choice. The only reason to not take high Intelligence is if you're really getting into the roleplaying spirit.. well that's blah to me.

So here is my idea.

First off, eliminate Intelligence's effect on how many skill points you get every level entirely. You get a flat amount of points every level, and with the following changes, this amount could be left at the base 11 ( or 10 if you use FWE ). After all, no matter what your stats, it takes the same amount of "expirience" for each level.

Secondly, in FWE they implemented a change where your TAG skills increase by 2 points every time you put 1 point into them. That's where this idea came from.

Your SPECIAL attributes determine how fast your skills raise. Each SPECIAL attribute would determine the advancement rate for the Skill that it is connected to ( i.e. Perception and Lockpicking, Intelligence and Medicine ).

The numbers would look something like this:

SPECIAL....Advancement

1...............3 points paid for 1 advancement

2, 3, 4........2 points paid for 1 advancement

5, 6, 7........1 point paid for 1 advancement

8, 9...........1 point paid for 2 advancement

10.............1 point paid for 3 advancement

( numbers could see some tweaking )

So let's say your character has 10 Perception, and 1 Intelligence.

When they level up, they get the standard 11 ( 10 with FWE ) skill points, the same amount they would get no matter what their SPECIAL attributes are.

If they put 1 point into Lockpicking, then Lockpicking goes up by 3.

If they put 1 point into Medicine, then Medicine goes up by 0.33

((( Medicine wouldn't actually go up by 0.33; a variable would keep track of the 0.33 and keep adding to it as more skill points are added, until the variable >= 1, at which point Medicine would go up by 1 point OR everytime you click the button to make Medicine go up, 3 points are automaticly deducted from your levelup skill points, and you can't raise it if you don't have 3 points to spend...probably the second one)))

If they put 6 points into Medicine, then Medicine goes up by 2 points.

If they put all 10 points into Lockpicking, then Lockpicking goes up by 30.

This makes SPECIAL attributes truly meaningful, and finally allows you to make a character who is as dumb as a sack of bricks without effectively raising the difficulty slider by gimping your skills.

Now, if you have a character with a Personality of 1 ( which translates to the most f*****g annoying and unlikeable person you've ever met ), they will have a realistic struggle with become skilled at things like bartering and speechcraft.

If you make a character who's as dumb as a ham sandwich, but basically a walking mountain of muscle... their lack of intellect shouldn't keep them from becoming great at cracking peoples' heads open with a bat, but it should certainly make it difficult for them to figure out how to perform open heart surgery.

I'll be trying to figure out how to do this. Any help/hints/advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. And of course if there's a mod that allready does this exact thing, that would be even better. :psyduck:

Edited by redeyesandlonghair

This is a simple idea... I'm wondering if the implementation would be simple though.

Currently, the rate at which your skills increase is determined by Intelligence. Fact is, your special stats have some effects, but in the end it's your skills that determine how powerful you are. This means that high Intelligence is the best decision to make. Many mods attempt to mitigate this, but in the end it always comes down to Intelligence being the best choice. The only reason to not take high Intelligence is if you're really getting into the roleplaying spirit.. well that's blah to me.

So here is my idea.

First off, eliminate Intelligence's effect on how many skill points you get every level entirely. You get a flat amount of points every level, and with the following changes, this amount could be left at the base 11 ( or 10 if you use FWE ). After all, no matter what your stats, it takes the same amount of "expirience" for each level.

Secondly, in FWE they implemented a change where your TAG skills increase by 2 points every time you put 1 point into them. That's where this idea came from.

Your SPECIAL attributes determine how fast your skills raise. Each SPECIAL attribute would determine the advancement rate for the Skill that it is connected to ( i.e. Perception and Lockpicking, Intelligence and Medicine ).

The numbers would look something like this:

SPECIAL....Advancement

1...............3 points paid for 1 advancement

2, 3, 4........2 points paid for 1 advancement

5, 6, 7........1 point paid for 1 advancement

8, 9...........1 point paid for 2 advancement

10.............1 point paid for 3 advancement

( numbers could see some tweaking )

So let's say your character has 10 Perception, and 1 Intelligence.

When they level up, they get the standard 11 ( 10 with FWE ) skill points, the same amount they would get no matter what their SPECIAL attributes are.

If they put 1 point into Lockpicking, then Lockpicking goes up by 3.

If they put 1 point into Medicine, then Medicine goes up by 0.33

((( Medicine wouldn't actually go up by 0.33; a variable would keep track of the 0.33 and keep adding to it as more skill points are added, until the variable >= 1, at which point Medicine would go up by 1 point OR everytime you click the button to make Medicine go up, 3 points are automaticly deducted from your levelup skill points, and you can't raise it if you don't have 3 points to spend...probably the second one)))

If they put 6 points into Medicine, then Medicine goes up by 2 points.

If they put all 10 points into Lockpicking, then Lockpicking goes up by 30.

This makes SPECIAL attributes truly meaningful, and finally allows you to make a character who is as dumb as a sack of bricks without effectively raising the difficulty slider by gimping your skills.

Now, if you have a character with a Personality of 1 ( which translates to the most f*****g annoying and unlikeable person you've ever met ), they will have a realistic struggle with become skilled at things like bartering and speechcraft.

If you make a character who's as dumb as a ham sandwich, but basically a walking mountain of muscle... their lack of intellect shouldn't keep them from becoming great at cracking peoples' heads open with a bat, but it should certainly make it difficult for them to figure out how to perform open heart surgery.

I'll be trying to figure out how to do this. Any help/hints/advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. And of course if there's a mod that allready does this exact thing, that would be even better. :psyduck:

you would need a quest with a float variable for each skill

then monitor when the player change level

exemple

set newEXPLOSIVESskill to player.getpermAV explosives

if newEXPLOSIVESskill > oldEXPLOSIVEskill

set floatEXPLOSIVEskill to fEXPLOSIVEskill + (newEXPLOSIVESskill - oldEXPLOSIVEskill) * explosiveSKILLfactor ; 0.33 per exemple

set intEXPLOSIVEskill to CEIL.floatEXPLOSIVEskill

player.setAV explosives to intEXPLOSIVEskill

endif

i think that something like this would work

Interesting idea there, I'll try something like that. I'd prefer something that actually shows the changes in the levelup window, but I haven't been able to find anything that would let me change how that works...

Any idea if the scripting you posted would make apparent changes in the levelup window? or would that just take effect after levelup (which honestly, is good enough for me)