Can't finish Proving Honor

Rycor

I have completed the first 4 stages of Proving Honor but when I Follow Vilkas around the back of Jorrvaskr I find Vilkas and 4 others standing in a half circle but nothing happens. I can talk to Vilkas and Farkas but only to train. If I try to talk to the other three it says that they are busy. On a side note, when I was retreiving the fragment, I wasn't able to learn the shout. The music was playing and the words were on the wall but they weren't lit up and I didn't learn anything. Also, after I picked up the fragment, only one Draugr came out. Didn't mind the easy fight but from what I have read, there should have been more.

Big picture my main concern is that I want to train with the Hunter but she is busy and I wouldn't mind being able to finish the rest of the Companion quests.

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. Similar problem.

Got the shard and was told to return to Jorrvaskr; everything was normal up until I arrived at Jorrvaskr.

Vilkas stood on the stairs, greeted me and told me to follow him. Except he just stood there instead of heading to the ceremony.

Heading there myself triggers the scene with Kodlak giving the initiation speech, but once he finished I'm stuck in no-control mode and Kodlak won't talk anymore (to tell me to head to Eorlund).

Re-enabling player control via console doesn't help either, trying to talk to Kodlak results in the game stating that he's busy.

Are there any solutions to this?

Edit: Regarding earlier saves; does not help.

Edit 2: Forcing the quest to complete via setstage will mark it as completed, but the circle members still stay at the ceremony place. Waiting outside Whiterun for a full day doesn't reset them to their regular AI, effectively permabreaking the Companions questline, as they don't talk to me anymore.

Edited by Mx-T

Bump. Similar problem.

Got the shard and was told to return to Jorrvaskr; everything was normal up until I arrived at Jorrvaskr.

Vilkas stood on the stairs, greeted me and told me to follow him. Except he just stood there instead of heading to the ceremony.

Heading there myself triggers the scene with Kodlak giving the initiation speech, but once he finished I'm stuck in no-control mode and Kodlak won't talk anymore (to tell me to head to Eorlund).

Re-enabling player control via console doesn't help either, trying to talk to Kodlak results in the game stating that he's busy.

Are there any solutions to this?

Edit: Regarding earlier saves; does not help.

Edit 2: Forcing the quest to complete via setstage will mark it as completed, but the circle members still stay at the ceremony place. Waiting outside Whiterun for a full day doesn't reset them to their regular AI, effectively permabreaking the Companions questline, as they don't talk to me anymore.

Have you tried resetting each of the Companion's ai? This sorta happened to me with Brynjolf at Riften when he begins to talk about his Falmer Blood Elixer. Try using "recycleactor" or disable and enable.

Have you tried resetting each of the Companion's ai? This sorta happened to me with Brynjolf at Riften when he begins to talk about his Falmer Blood Elixer. Try using "recycleactor" or disable and enable.

Doesn't help either, sadly. Any other ideas?

Are there console commands to force AI packages onto actors or something like that?

My theory's that some script or AI package broke somewhere, so it doesn't properly trigger Vilkas leading you to the ceremony, and Kodlak not talking to you afterwards.

Edited by Mx-T

O...kay, so apparently the mod "Skyforge Plus" interfered with the proper ceremony procession. Deleting it from the data folder resulted in the ceremony going on as it was supposed to be. Weird.

Looking at the mod it seemed to have messed with the NavMesh, along with what looked like a lot of pointless clutter in the .esp structure. Maybe that caused the NPCs to hiccup.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Similar problem as Rycor has. I've done everything to the point when you have to follow Vilkas. Completed Dustman's Crain, recovered Fragment of Wuuthrad, learnt Fire breath shout, killed all Draugrs - from every coffin. Then headed to Whiterun using fast travel. Then near Jorrvaskr I've met Vilkas. He told me to follow him, so I did - but nothing. We arrived but all I could do was speaking and training with Farkas and Vilkas. Everyone else in the circle was "Busy". Tried reloading, Coming after few levels, using console (commands - setstage, setobjectivecompleted, resetquest, enable-disable NPCs, recycleactor). Even uninstalled all mods, installed new clean installation of the game without any patches (currently using 1.5) outside the program files, but nothing worked. It's really annoying that I can't finish the questline and even more when I found out that Farkas is still "following me" so I can't have any other followers.

So if anyone knows how to solve it, I'd be really glad.

Every member of companions is outside sitting on the benches and the Circle with the "Leader" is in front of them. The problem is that when I come there the objective "Follow Vilkas" doesn't complete itself, so nothing happens. When I come there "Follow Vilkas" should be completed and the "Leader" should start telling something and then they would really accept me amongst The Companions. But as I said, the objective isn't complete and even if I "complete" via console, the "Leaders" speech won't trigger.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nevermind, after about 2 weeks (about 15 in-game weeks and 40 levels) it somehow worked out on it's own. So... yeah.

Well, I continue to have the same problem. Not sure waiting 15 in game weeks and 40 levels is much of a solution. It does not happen with every character but when it does, you may as well delete the character of forget the entire companions questline. I wish Bethesda would fix this buggy game rather than introducing new features.