Mod permission for abandoned mods?

tomomi1922

I don't see why there would be any issue with blueprints, since they require the original mods to work, and don't in any way change anything within the mods, or create anything new using mod assets. It's just coding of where in the settlement each object was placed, yes?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

If you're retexturing a vanilla mesh, there's no issue, but if you want to retexture a custom mesh, you need permission from whoever made the mesh. Custom meshes are a lot of work, and retexturing a custom mesh without permission is not permitted.

However, if you know how to make meshes, you could make your own just like it. Just be prepared to be able to show it's your own work.

Â

You missed the point. Rexture would only work in conjuction with that outfit. You can create a texture all you want to an outfit, without the outfit in game, that texture would not exist anywhere. If we are to re-create a brand new outfit, then it is no longer a retexture.Â

The suggestion of creating a new mesh was intended as an alternative if the mesh creator doesn't give permission.

But "modding a mod" by retexturing someone's custom mesh work without permission seems shady from a copyright viewpoint. I don't see how it wouldn't be considered derivative work.

Best option is to get the permissions.

I don't see why there would be any issue with blueprints, since they require the original mods to work, and don't in any way change anything within the mods, or create anything new using mod assets. It's just coding of where in the settlement each object was placed, yes?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

AFAIK that assessment is accurate. Blueprints are JSON files I believe...they just make reference to an asset without actually embedding them into the file.

It's sort of like viewing an HTML file that with links to images but not containing the images themselves. If the images are missing, the page still functions, albeit not as intended. I assume blueprints function in a similar manner since they in effect just reference assess used to create the settlement without actually embedding them.

I saw that page earlier (it appears to have been removed now)

Aside from the sheer indifference to reuploading someone elses mod without consent, they even re-used the mod description & several images from the original mod's page, as well as stating in their permissions that users could upload it to Beth.net and port it to Xbone. :no:

Downloaded by nearly sixty individuals if memory serves me, who most likely don't realize that if they use it they'll probably come across issues with it.

Firstly, because it was an older version uploaded (1.2) and secondly because it didn't include the hotfix or the GeneralPurpose patch that Razorwire made, which are required.

<snip>

The Nexus's own ToS has a certain amount of ambiguity built into it to prevent unfair treatment of people who may live outside of the UK/US and may not understand the laws. (Hell I don't understand US law most of the time and I live in the US!)

So why would the nexus be so strict on "Settlement Blueprints"?

Why are perm's needed for a mod that doesn't re-distribute anything?

I am not attempting to address "Settlement Blueprints" specifically. Neither are the Nexus Terms of Service.

Which ToS, by the way, are not at all ambiguous on this point:

Nexus sites have quite a liberal content policy on what files are acceptable on the site but there are still rules all uploaders must adhere to. Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the file being removed from the site, the uploader's account being banned and if necessary all the details of the uploader being passed on to relevant authorities:
  • Absolutely no copyrighted work is to be used without permission of the original creator. This includes content from other games, from DLCs, music creators or from other file authors. This also includes members from countries that do not recognise copyright laws.

• All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

• Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

Note that I added the emphasis of the last sentence in the first point above to make it clear that the Nexus DOES NOT CARE whether or not your country is a signatory to the Berne, or other, copyright convention. There is no "unfair" treatment of people who live outside the UK/US. There is only the exact same treatment of everyone, everywhere.

(@chucksteel, Upon re-reading your post I think you may have meant, "... to make clear to members from [certain countries] that they may not steal other's works." But that's not an ambiguity. Rather the contrary.)

tl;dr: Regardless of where you live; if your upload does not include anyone else's work, then no permission is needed. If your upload DOES include anyone else's work, then prior permission is required.