Skyrim not responding during loading screens

VeerHD

Basically, whenever at almost any in game loading screen, the game will freeze and go unresponsive. This will persist for about a minute and then as if by magic, it will suddenly become responsive again, the loading screen will go and i will be free to play the game. The issue is only slightly annoying but i really would like to fix it. The problem happens anytime a loading screen appears such as when i go through doors or enter cities. It also sometimes happens when i load a saved game. Could anyone suggest a possible fix?

Thank You

Veer

My first guess is that it is loading the next part of the game as that is what loading screens are there for. They keep you from doing anything while they change the scene so you don't inadvertently do something to cause a problem.

The entire game is far too large to all fit into the available RAM so it breaks it up into 'scenes' The game has to load the next part of the game (scene) from the hard drive before it can continue. In doing this it erases the previous scene from the RAM. Going through a door means that the game has to load all of the data for whatever is on the other side of that door before continuing.

Think of it as kind of like when they close the curtain in a play between acts so they can change things behind the curtain.

It's possible that you think it is taking too long - that could be low ram memory, a slow hard drive or a heavily fragmented game.

• 2 months later...

Try ALT-TABBING out to the desktop/anything other than the game. It's worked for me numerous times. If you have problems getting back into the game after switching to something else, alt-tab back into skyrim. (Windows 7 anyway

)

Edited by ludlow420

Try adding this to you exe target path if you have a quad core. If not, disregard this. hope it helps.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files...

This is the only way I can load saves and play for hours CTD free.....until the random CTd happens....I used to play with all cores enabled but since a month ago I started to have this loading screen issue!!

Edited by Xotana

Try adding this to you exe target path if you have a quad core. If not, disregard this. hope it helps.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files...

This is the only way I can load saves and play for hours CTD free.....until the random CTd happens....I used to play with all cores enabled but since a month ago I started to have this loading screen issue!!

wat? I cant figure out what u did

Look, when you right click your skyrim icon and properties it show 2 paths right?

In the TARGET path (system 32) I added that line before the regular path that you have there. Another way is to start game and then ctrl-alt-del and right click TESV.exe and set affinity to cores 0 and 1

• 5 weeks later...
I have my steam game files on my D drive so how would this work for me

• 1 year later...

i found the cause of this as it was happening to me to.

why does it happen?

windows has a value in it's register and if any program hangs for that amount of miliseconds windows kills the app and asks you what to do(close or wait)

so after loading hangs for half a second windows "pauses" skyrim to ask you what to do.

ofcourse half a second is way too fast, so here is how to alter it

>hit windows-key + R

>type in regedit.exe

>accept any warnings that come up

> in regedit navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

> in the list that comes up find the entry called something like WaitToKillAppTimeout(win8) or HungAppTimeout(or anything like it, the 3rd column should say 5000)

> change the 5000 to anything you like( 10.000 = 10 seconds) i set mine to 20000(20secs)

>???

>profit

• 10 months later...

Try using Safety Load plugin mod. I got crashes on loading, changing cell and general load screens before I started using that thing, and it fixed most of my issues. I can't guarantee it will work for you but it can't hurt to try.

You da man!