Cleaning a dirty plug-in

Carah

I want to clean my mod before I make it available for public use. I know that TES Edit is available for Oblivion. Is there anything for Skyrim?

Thank-you for your time and patience,

Carah

SkyEdit and TESVSnip should both accomplish what you're after.

Also, if you click the Details button when loading your mod in the CK, you can select references to "ignore" by selecting them and tapping the Delete key. Then load your mod and save it -- those references are gone. Not as clean as an automated tool, but, hey, it does work (and isn't a lot of work if you do it throughout your development process, instead of waiting until the end). Handy tip when using this: Load Skyrim.esm first, then do this -- without Skyrim.esm loaded, all you have is numeric FormIDs, which really aren't useful; with it loaded, you can actually see what everything is. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Kromey, excellent advice on cleaning, thank you.

I've been using the CK cleaning process you described on my house mod. Unfortunately after a major version update (mostly exterior Navmesh but also with some major interior architectural changes) it doesn't seem to work anymore. I.e. after "ignoring" specific cells I know were not modified in any way other then then CK loading them while I worked on the exterior Navmesh, loading the .esp with the ignored references and then immediately saving, the cells are still marked as modified by the .esp the next time I look at the file details.

I also have the same issue with a vanilla interior cell ignoring the "marked as ignore" feature!

Any suggestions? I'm not wild about using SkyEdit or TESnip as I don't fully understand the .esp structures, but I hate the idea of releasing a mod that hasn't been cleaned.

Thank you - S.

In Oblivion, the CS was the handiest mod-cleaning tool since you already had it open to build your mod. However, it had bugs and there were certain pieces of mod dirt it was completely unable to remove. It could see them, it just did not have the power to remove them. So TES4Edit was required which could remove practically anything but had a really awful user interface.

I would not be surprised if Skyrim has the same issues and the CK has weaknesses and certain kinds of mod dirt it cannot remove. This would require you to use a third-party utility to get the job done. I have used TESVSnip, and the Interface is simple once you catch on. This tutorial talks about mod merging rather than mod cleaning, but can show you how to load up the mod and see the details. After learning that part, the interface is easy. Mod Merging with TESVSnip.

Edited by David Brasher

I.e. after "ignoring" specific cells I know were not modified in any way other then then CK loading them while I worked on the exterior Navmesh, loading the .esp with the ignored references and then immediately saving, the cells are still marked as modified by the .esp the next time I look at the file details.

Hm, I might have been wrong about saving immediately working; try marking them as "ignored" as I described, then change something in your mod (e.g. move a marker a couple of pixels) and then save. (You can then undo your change and save again, if you would like.)

If that still doesn't work, then David may be right -- you may have to use an external tool. SkyEdit's interface is a lot like the CK's, so I'd recommend that one, although TESVSnip is probably more powerful for this kind of thing.

P.S. Are you trying to "ignore" the cells? I don't think that works -- at least, I couldn't get it to -- so you have to ignore every changed reference within the cell. For example, if you accidentally nudged a marker in Breezehome while checking out how the house upgrades work in the game (as I did), you cannot tell the CK to "ignore" the Breezehome cell you modified -- you instead have to tell it to ignore the marker's reference (don't worry, this won't change the vanilla marker, it will only remove your changes to said vanilla reference).