You Don't Own Skyrim

MorwynKelm

Simple: put Steam in offline mode. That way it'll never ever know to stop you from playing Skyrim, even if you were by some divine intervention of Talos banned from playing Skyrim.

How odd. Last time I had Steam online was when I down loaded the CK. Just for fun, I started it up online right now and it knows that the last time I played Skyrim was today and it has recent achievements. So it's monitring something even in offline mode. On the other hand, on another page it says "Time played this week 0h". Go figure.

This whole debate it pointless anyway, everyone knows by now that you sign very similar EULAs whenever you download any software online.

It doesn't matter if it's game software, an accounting package or a nuclear missle targetting progam, or if you download it, get it on disk or get it on punch cards, unless you buy rights to the source code you never own the software, you only license it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it's Valve's TOS that's probably the biggest issue with Steam.

Putting aside the accessibility problems the fact that Steam sells games as services and not as "products" means that yes, they can remove your access to ANY of the games you buy for ANY reason.

This is just one more reason why people pirate games, it's also another reason why I hate Steam but nobody really has a choice these days. Most new releases are released using Steamworks or have an equally restricting license agreement you have to agree to before being able to install, update and play the game you brought legit from a store.

If I could play my games without Steam then I'd be happy. The fact I'm not even given a choice in the matter, that this whole thing is shoved down my throat in a "use Steam or don't play" in an extremely knee-jerk fashion, is why I hate Steam. It's why I'd rather download a cracked copy but buy the game anyway (thereby bypassing any DRM like Steam but still supporting the developers).

If people who didn't like Steam's methods actually stopped using Steam - performed an actual boycott - then Valve might do something, but boycotts never really work. Most groups give up after a few weeks or months or campaigning or there's simply not enough support for the cause.

[e] Other than Steam, I'm sure publishers themselves would put EULA's in their games installation software that would explain you don't "own" the game and your "service" can be removed at anytime, just so they can screw anyone who buys a used game over (because the gaming industry hates you if you buy a second-hand copy of a video game).

Edited by MrTastix

Every software that you use is licenced to you. Hell, most of the music production software companies dont even let you sell your licence to someone else (effectively, what publishers want to do now with videogames, no 2nd hand market at all).

And they always reserve the rights to terminate your licence whenever they feel you breached the EULA.

What do you think eula stands for? End User LICENCE Agreement.

At most, you own a LICENCE to use the game, but thats it. You own as much of the actual game as the guy next to you.

We didn't have a choice, that's the point here.

Umm, excuse me, I do not think anyone held a gun to your head. If the game you want to play uses steam, and you are that against it, buy an xbox. they are cheap, easy to use, and don't have some of the hassles of PC gaming.

And steam would never even think EVER, to revoke what we have paid for. It would be corporate suicide and they and every other distributor knows it. Itunes has the same things in their TOS, but we all still buy from itunes.

actually what seems so odd is (finally) someone read an EULA...having been playing games since the archaic old days of clecovision. I just figured I'd point out that really at no point (console or otherwise) have you ever owned anything since the mid 90s..sure you had disks the game came on but even those belonged to the software company and you had only paid for limited rights to use such disks and they could be taken away at anytime...steam really isn't doing something new..its a fairly standard form

If only lawyers, would take on the fight to these industries and forces all of them to release bug free games i be really happy. Right now i am not really sure what to think about this topic, yes the corporation do own the rights. But i paid for working copy not a beta that should never have been released in this state. I know for sure i would never buy a car and then try to start it and what ?? it does not even start,.,