How to get FNVEdit or LOOT to work with the new GOG DRM free version of NV?

SamJaa

So I bought the Good Old Game's DRM free version of New Vegas, and since it's no longer on steam, I had to uninstall and reinstall all my mods. As expected, I messed up the load orders and missed a master mod or two like I always do. But neither of those load order checker tools are working.

The either are looking in the wrong place or are doing a piracy check. What it boils down to is that it's not designed to work with this version of the game that just came out. Any way I can get around this so I can check my load order problems?

Edited by SamJaa

Thats extremely interesting, and hard to believe that this would be allowed (as in some company make a steam free version of a game that is made by a company that religiously uses steam)

Got a link to the purchase website?

https://www.gog.com/

I guess this post looks suspiciously like an ad now, especially since I just realized that I just had FNVEdit in the wrong place.

The problem does persist with loot though, which says it can't find the .ini file when I supply the non-steam directory. I like loot better but I guess I can deal.

LOOT works with a number of different games, so it doesn't require a specific location. You can manually install it anywhere. However, it's auto-installer causes it to be installed into the game root folder (i.e. "Fallout New Vegas"). There is a new release (v0.11.0), and you might want to use the auto-installer with it. That page also tells you how to report problems helpfully in the linked "forum thread".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I installed the non-DRM version of FNV from GOG when it first came out and LOOT picked it up with no trouble. If you manually install FNVEdit in your FNV directory; C:/GOG Games/Fallout New Vegas by default, it should work. From what I understand any mods which depend on fnvse will not work until fnvse is updated for the non-DRM version which hopefully will be coming soon. I realize just saying that LOOT worked for me is no help, all I can think of is that you did not play the game to create a Fallout.ini file before trying LOOT.

I heard differing opinions on non-DRM version of FNV so decided to treat it as Steam version. I installed nvse_5_0_beta3.7 and installed a number of mods which depend on nvse to run. I then started a new game; so far my game has run perfectly with no crashes and the mods which depend on nvse to work have worked. Signature Armors, Signature Weapons, MTUI, The Mod Configuration Menu, and Jips nvse plugin among them. I have not tried 4GB patch as it has run at a steady 60fps indoors and out so I see no need of that.

I have seen no difference in running my mod tools; LOOT, FNVEdit, NMM, between Steam FNV and GOG FNV. Is it just me or does this hold true for others? I also start my game with nvse_loader.

I am using nvse because of mod dependencies and it has worked since the GOG version came out. The 4GB patch is included in GOG's versions of FNV and FO3. Found that somewhere in GOG's forums. Also have 43 mods installed with NMM. Only one mod so far did not work. And while typing this I got an email from GOG stating that FO3 includes the 4GB patch.

I am using nvse because of mod dependencies and it has worked since the GOG version came out. The 4GB patch is included in GOG's versions of FNV and FO3. Found that somewhere in GOG's forums. Also have 43 mods installed with NMM. Only one mod so far did not work. And while typing this I got an email from GOG stating that FO3 includes the 4GB patch.

That's useful to know about NVSE. The question is: did you already have NVSE installed before (i.e for the Steam version) or after installing the GOG version?

The initial report that NVSE wasn't compatible was when trying to install "new" to the GOG game. "Install requirement checks" can be separate issues from functionality. You just cleared up the functionality question, so thanks very much for that.

-Dubious-

I installed the steam version about two weeks ago. CTD about 10 minutes in. Total uninstall and search for leftovers after that. Nothing extra was ever installed. No NVSE. Level 13 now and one stutter crash. Tried the stutter remover but it seemed worse after I did, occasional multiple stutters, more than before. Removed it.

I installed the steam version about two weeks ago. CTD about 10 minutes in. Total uninstall and search for leftovers after that. Nothing extra was ever installed. No NVSE. Level 13 now and one stutter crash. Tried the stutter remover but it seemed worse after I did, occasional multiple stutters, more than before. Removed it.

Please don't hijack threads. Your post has nothing to do with the topic. Start your own.

That said, please see the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' section in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent