Question about Nexus and Steam Workshop.

Darsanio

Hey everyone, forgive me if this question was asked already, I tried looking for it but didn't quite find what i was looking for.

So before the CK and Steam Workshop "subscriptions" I would download mods from Nexus and install them manually and i would check the "load all files" or something of the sort on the Data Files menu when i started Skyrim. Then once the CK came out i started subscribing to the mods i wanted. Everything was going great until i found out that the mods i had installed manually weren't activating. The "load all files" box disappeared from the Data Files menu so i can't load those mods anymore.

What i want to know is if there is a way for me to load my manually installed mods for Skyrim while still using the workshop mods. If so could someone please explain to me how i could do it?

Don't even need that -- I've got a mix of Nexus and SW mods, and I just launch Skyrim from Steam just like normal, and my mods run just fine!

Do keep in mind that the "loose" file you've downloaded from Nexus and put into e.g. Data/textures and Data/meshes will be overridden by textures, meshes, etc. in any .bsa files included in a SW mod. For example, Bethesda's high-res texture pack pretty much kills every re-texture you might have gotten from Nexus, unless the author has since released bsa+esp version to accommodate that (or you've used the workaround of adding the high-res .bsa to the relevant ini file).

So what you are trying to tell me, kromey, is that the old mods i have are loading normally it's just that the high-res pack from Bethesda is overriding my texture mods? btw I installed a Daedric retexture mod before WS and i noticed it isn't working anymore, is there a way i could get it to work again? (it isn't on the workshop and i don't think the creator made a bsa+esp version.

Search the forums, there is a workaround so that your .bsa files will not override the "loose" files in your data directory. It has to do with modifying an .ini file and then disabling the .esp that loads the .bsa, but I don't know the specifics (and haven't downloaded a SW texture mod yet, so haven't had the need to do this myself).

The simple method would be to use BSA Browser to extract the high-res DLC BSA archives and use them as you would any other texture replacer, then un-tick the high-res DLC plugins in Data Files/Nexus Mod Manager/Wrye Bash/whatever you use to run the game.

Oh for crying out loud... It's rather dumb to suggest uncompressing 3.5GB worth of textures into the data folder.

Go into the Skyrim.ini (in your docs folder) and change the Archive section to look like:

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

Then disable the ESP plugins for the hi-res packs and thats it.