The Telekinesis 'Effect' and other effect archetypes

xTrogdorx

So I set out to see if Skyrim's Telekinesis spell could be changed such that you could pick up ragdolls and/or npcs.

The first thing I wondered was whether npcs/ragdolls were simply too heavy to lift. So I made a mod that simply put a lineup of sweetrolls on the floor, each one uniquely modified to be heavier than the last. 30, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 200, 500. I was able to pick up each sweetroll both normally and with Telekinesis, so the weight of what you're trying to lift doesn't seem to have any effect on whether or not you can lift it.

So the next step was to get to the very root of what makes the Telekinesis spell tick. And in doing so, I found a list that describes what makes every spell tick:

http://www.creationkit.com/Magic_Effect

On this page, there is a table of 'Effect Archetypes'. These effects are what ultimately determine what many spells do. For example, all healing and direct damage spells ultimately boil down to the archetype 'Value modifier' and modify health up or down, respectively.

Telekinesis has its own Effect Archetype. I expect that if anyone is ever going to be able to modify what Telekinesis is able to do, beyond simple things like its damage values which are available under Gameplay->Settings, we would need to edit the Telekinesis Effect Archetype.

Sadly, I can't find any of the Effect Archetypes in the CK. Can anyone suggest a course of action? It mentions "These effects occur in addition to any scripted effects that may result from the Papyrus Script on the MagicEffect." Might one be able to write a script for this instead of modifying the Archetype?

Edited by xTrogdorx

I imagine these archetypes are hardcoded, if you wanted to emulate the telekinesis you're going to need to do quite a bit of scripting and math so you can translate the object infront of your cursor.

I'd check out the "SovngardeStatueScript.psc" script for reference, its a script for making some statues look at you while your not looking.

Edited by expired6978

Just a couple of thoughts..

I don't think you would have to edit the archetype, as through the wiki page it just states that it adds the magic effect to the object. Logically, all you would have to do is find a way to add the magic effect to the NPC somehow.

Effect Archetypes are essentially code-based effects that can be triggered by the MagicEffect. These effects occur in addition to any scripted effects that may result from the Papyrus Script on the MagicEffect

Hence it just seems that you would have to apply the ActiveMagicEffect script to an NPC somehow. Possibly through another script attached to the NPC upon death.

Also, the telekinesis effect is applied to objects in general. Corpses of NPCs act like containers, albeit moveable containers. The only issue I can see with trying to add the ActiveMagicEffect to NPCs is that it might mess with static containers, thereby allowing you to use telekinesis on barrels, chests, etc..

You may be able to add in the effect by going through the ActiveMagicEffects modifiers, but I truly don't know. Still trying to learn this CK while applying the same rules from the Morrowind and Oblivion CS.

Link to the ActiveMagicEffect script: http://www.creationkit.com/ActiveMagicEffect_Script