Morrowind Style Dungeons [WIP]

VanyaSleeper

Artifacts should be like in Morrowind - scatterded around in the world in hands of other adventurers, sometimes in lord's treasure vaults, in deep caverns or dwemer ruins. This would add a lot realism to Skyrim - I mean if there are treasures, there are a lot of pepole who wants to get it.

That is a very good idea and one I was planning to implement, this confirms desire for it. I think I'll leave the Daedric quests where they are, for now, but make more unique artifacts - not overpowered but they need to be worth trekking through a deadly ruin to find, yes? I am a great believer in rewarding those who search off the beaten path, something I think Skyrim and Oblivion lacked - as much as I love them.

I personally would like to see less Dwemer ruins given how many we already get in this game and how huge they are, but that's just me. However, I would always be up for it if it can be done in a huge twist. (Underwater dungeon with multi paths involving diving? Hell yes.)

This was my worry. The Dwemer ruins in Skyrim are many, yet they are straightforward and, I think, quite boring. Twists like that would definitely be what I would to achieve. Also, I would like to make them a bit scarier, personally. The ruins in Morrowind did scare me at times, with their creaking metal and dark corridors. Again, the word atmosphere comes up.

This was my worry. The Dwemer ruins in Skyrim are many, yet they are straightforward and, I think, quite boring. Twists like that would definitely be what I would to achieve. Also, I would like to make them a bit scarier, personally. The ruins in Morrowind did scare me at times, with their creaking metal and dark corridors. Again, the word atmosphere comes up.

Also they were so dangerous for a low/mid level character. A sudden death could be around any corner, but you knew you'd (probably) get something good at the end so you'd risk it.

There could be some kind of faction like Imperial Cult in Morrowind in which quests they give you a clues about whereabouts of these artifacts (kind of treasure hunters guild). But that would be a completely new mod.

There could be some kind of faction like Imperial Cult in Morrowind in which quests they give you a clues about whereabouts of these artifacts (kind of treasure hunters guild). But that would be a completely new mod.

A good idea, and a few people have approached in wanting to help, some expressing interest in designing a few quests. It's certainly something to think about. If they were made though, in keeping with the mod, quest objectives and the like would not be used, I suspect.

Just a little snippet of the first Dungeon in development. This is the Entry hall to a tomb, it is just one part of the dungeon and even this one cell is unfinished. But I think it gets the idea of the sort of thing we are planning to achieve here. Note the multiple levels and multiple offshoots leading to different parts of the Dungeon.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5774/entryhall2.jpg

A good idea, and a few people have approached in wanting to help, some expressing interest in designing a few quests. It's certainly something to think about. If they were made though, in keeping with the mod, quest objectives and the like would not be used, I suspect.

Quest markers often breaks the fun from finding something, I'd like to see quest like in good old times - no quest markers, only description where to go. But Skyrim journal which isn't keeping old entries can be problem.

Coming back to your tomb - very nice looking! Do some secret passage with lever opening it on celling.

Edited by cyrkon

I understand the logic behind their new dungeon design where you want the exit to connect back to the beginning so you're not running back through an empty dungeon. But I agree with you that Skyrim took that design philosophy to a bit of an extreme. I loved the Morrowind dungeons that would make you go deeper and deeper, and you realize with mounting dread that there are now new monsters between you and the exit, if you can find the exit! There should be a happy medium between too linear and too confusing.

I'm not experienced with the CK yet to design any dungeons, but I would still love to see this done and am definitely in support of this.

Perhaps some day, I could lend a hand.

Thank you all for the positive comments.

I understand the logic behind their new dungeon design where you want the exit to connect back to the beginning so you're not running back through an empty dungeon.

Would it not be an idea, then, to add more enemies to certain points in the Dungeon when the player has collected the loot at the end? This would only apply to the particularly big, complicated Dungeons as a.) they would be the ones to contain some "reward" at the end and b.) The trek back would be more exciting.

On top of that, I'd anticipate that some players may take a different route back than the one they took to get there, due to the number of routes available, making the above a failsafe.

I actually ran through one dungeon where upon going back it send a few guys in from the entrance.. Uhh... I remember it being the dungeon where you find the unique weapon "Longhammer".. There was also a dungeon with magically imbued spiders inside which made me excited because I expected to see some neat stuff.. But it really turned out to be rather short and boring. The wizard which was apparently messing with the spiders didn't even have an interesting journal with lots of notes!

I guess I'm pointing these out because they're dungeons which gave me a unique memory, even if they weren't all that complex or that I can't even remember the name of the dungeons/caves. The Longhammer dungeon was pretty standardized, and only the end of it really made me remember it at all(The guys coming inside suddenly. It was a bandit hideout.). The spider one didn't present any interesting options and was a huge let down despite starting out in a way which gave me higher expectation. I'm really hoping you wont do the same to me! Consistent intrigue throughout then entirety of the dungeon is smart.

• 1 month later...