Are there any programs that you can use to create item meshes in Fallout 4?

Do you mean 3D Modeling? Lots of programs both free and professional are available out there.

If I wanted to create an equippable wristwatch item for Fallout 4 characters, what free program would you recommend?

And are there any tutorials for beginners?

Can I do this with the creation kit?

The creation kit cannot model new meshes or texture them. It is mainly made for content Fallout 4 already contains/hooking up the new content you created. If you are needing a custom mesh that is not in fallout 4 it will most definitely require a 3D modeling program. .One of the more popular free programs to make 3D models would be blender. I believe the website and YouTube includes a lot of tutorials on how to model in it.

Keep in mind 3D modeling is not a one and done type of thing.It requires a lot of time and dedication to not only learn how to harness a 3D application but produce the results you are expecting. With good practice and determination the world is basically yours and whatever you can think of you can model and bring to life in a game lie Fallout 4. It is a very rewarding feeling seeing your own models rendering in Fallout 4 for sure.

The creation kit cannot model new meshes or texture them. It is mainly made for content Fallout 4 already contains/hooking up the new content you created. If you are needing a custom mesh that is not in fallout 4 it will most definitely require a 3D modeling program. .One of the more popular free programs to make 3D models would be blender. I believe the website and YouTube includes a lot of tutorials on how to model in it.

Keep in mind 3D modeling is not a one and done type of thing.It requires a lot of time and dedication to not only learn how to harness a 3D application but produce the results you are expecting. With good practice and determination the world is basically yours and whatever you can think of you can model and bring to life in a game lie Fallout 4. It is a very rewarding feeling seeing your own models rendering in Fallout 4 for sure.

Is blender free? Or does it cost money/?

What about 3DMax?

Edited by Fixadent

Blender is free. 3DS Max is a professional tool and requires a monthly subscription fee which is pretty pricey. There is also Maya (my preferred modeling program) which is owned by the same company as 3DS Max but it has a cheaper fee for a 'light; version which does anything game related basically.

I'd suggest start using a free program like blender to see if it something you are interested in, If you want more flexibility and power then the non-free 3D applications offer a lot more options for sure.

I would start with the beginners tutorials, they will go over how to manipulate the program. The answer you are looking for is you are currently in object mode. You need to change the mode to 'edit mode'.

You are going to have a lot of questions along the way, I highly recommend watching the tutorials that cover the basic and then intermediate tools, it will really help you get into the program and then know how to create what you need: https://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/

Blender has lots of plugins, while from a quick glance most of the things you dont see should be included already they might not be activated by default. Also its likely many things are context sensitive and dont show up unless you actually have something selected etc. Watch some tutorials, making models from scratch is a long and painful process but ultimately very rewarding.