Copying Scripts from Wiki Not Working

David Brasher

Okay. So we have this nice little article in the Wiki on SetFactionRank. Link. It gives an example script I want to copy because I want to change the faction of an NPC.

SetFactionRank - Actor

Member of: Actor Script

Sets this actor's rank in the specified faction. Adds the actor to the faction if necessary.

Contents

[hide]

1 Syntax

2 Parameters

3 Return Value

4 Examples

5 See Also

Syntax

Function SetFactionRank(Faction akFaction, int aiRank) native

Parameters

akFaction: The Faction to set this actor's rank in.

aiRank: The rank in the faction the actor should be.

Return Value

None.

Examples

; Set the empire faction rank for Luke to 0

Luke.SetFactionRank(EmpireFaction, 0)

Of course it does not work with my NPC and my Faction. So I grab the first NPC at the top of the list in the CK. I also grab the first faction on the list in the CK. I would think they would be genuine things that the game would recognize.

I type in my script:

Abelone.SetFactionRank(AlduinFaction, 0) 

It fails and the program gives me this error message:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "TIF__01001D9C"...

c:\games\skyrim\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TIF__01001D9C.psc(9,0): variable Abelone is undefined

c:\games\skyrim\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TIF__01001D9C.psc(9,23): variable AlduinFaction is undefined

c:\games\skyrim\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TIF__01001D9C.psc(9,8 ): none is not a known user-defined type No

output generated for TIF__01001D9C, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.

Failed on TIF__01001D9C

What is going on here? I thought that the information in the wiki was supposed to be accurate.

Edited by David Brasher

What is going on here? I thought that the information in the wiki was supposed to be accurate.

This is something the wiki just doesn't explain on each sample. You have to define the form/function/spells/etc,. properties at the top of the script. In your case,

Form Property Abelone Auto
Faction Property AlduinFaction  Auto

Once that's done. You need to go into the properties of the script and make sure those two properties are associated with the correct NPC/FORM and FACTION. Try the auto fill button on the lower left. As long as your property name matches the same as the editor ID of the item, it should resolve as long as you have the correct TYPE of property defined.

Oh, and shameless plug. For better samples, use my Skyrim Script Dumper Indexes and look at Scripts that use AddToFaction and SetFactionRank function. You can find it here. Just download the index unless you want to customize your own search indexes, then grab the utility. Find it under optional files.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

This script will not compile and I get an even longer error message:

Are some of the words in the lines of code that you gave me placeholders that are supposed to be changed according to where they are used?

Is this supposed to fail to compile and then you go change the properties, and then the second time around it is supposed to compile?

How do you delete a property that you make a mistake on?

I talk a little more about using properties like this in my EditorIDs in Papyrus tutorial, if you're interested.

What is the compiler error you're now seeing? Sometimes solving one problem only allows the compiler to see past it into a problem that gives a longer message, so seeing a longer error message doesn't mean you're not getting your script closer to a state in which it will compile.

Cipscis

This script will not compile and I get an even longer error message:

Are some of the words in the lines of code that you gave me placeholders that are supposed to be changed according to where they are used?

Is this supposed to fail to compile and then you go change the properties, and then the second time around it is supposed to compile?

How do you delete a property that you make a mistake on?

Here's a sample script in its entirety:

Scriptname SvenScript extends ReferenceAlias 

Faction Property BardSingerFaction  Auto   

Event OnLocationChange(Location ExitLocation, Location EnterLocation) 
    If EnterLocation == SleepingGiantInn 
         GetActorRef().SetFactionRank(BardSingerFaction, 1) 
    Else 
         GetActorRef().SetFactionRank(BardSingerFaction, -1) 
    EndIf 
EndEvent 

Location Property SleepingGiantInn  Auto   

To remove a property you can quite literally just delete the line from the script. Alternatively you can delete it from the properties of the script as well. Note: If you leave any references to the property in the script, it'll error out on compile.

In this case you can see that there are two properties being used. A Faction property, BardSingerFaction and a Location property, SleepingGiantInn.

Your script needs to have function declarations or event declarations. I would also recommend looking at the script tutorials previously posted.

-MM

I have been reading tutorials previously posted and I can't comprehend them at all. They make very great assumptions about what the user already knows. The wiki tutorials are written by professional programmers, but in truth, most modders are just hobbyists who don't have anywhere near as much background as the professional programmers who think that their tutorials are comprehensible.

I keep on reading tutorials, performing experiments in the CK, trying to reverse engineer things, and asking questions on the forums. (Nothing really brings much progress.)

Scriptname SvenScript extends ReferenceAlias 

Faction Property BardSingerFaction  Auto   

Event OnLocationChange(Location ExitLocation, Location EnterLocation) 
    If EnterLocation == SleepingGiantInn 
         GetActorRef().SetFactionRank(BardSingerFaction, 1) 
    Else 
         GetActorRef().SetFactionRank(BardSingerFaction, -1) 
    EndIf 
EndEvent 

Location Property SleepingGiantInn  Auto 

This script looks bigger than the average Papyrus fragment. I am trying to build a Papyrus fragment that does the job of an Oblivion result script placed on a dialog info. I want to talk to the NPC and say "Wait" or "Follow" or some other command and have the Papyrus fragment change their faction so that the condition on their AI packages will make them use a different behavior.

Am I really allowed to put something as big as your bard script into a Papyrus fragment?

Edited by David Brasher

Am I really allowed to put something as big as your bard script into a Papyrus fragment?

In truth, I haven't worked with Papyrus Fragments at all yet, but once I get into some quest dialog, etc,. I may very well, but for now I cannot answer that. Hopefully someone can.

-MM

This is a Papyrus fragment script I use for a number of objects in my Basic Needs mod:

Scriptname TRO_bnFoodStaleScript extends activemagiceffect  

GlobalVariable Property TRO_Hunger  Auto  
Idle Property pukeIdle  Auto  
Idle Property IdleStop  Auto 
Message Property staleFoodMessage  Auto  
Message Property weaponDrawnMessage  Auto 

float ccalPerc = 0.0
float cHunger = 0.0

Event OnEffectStart(Actor target, Actor caster)
cHunger = TRO_Hunger.getValue() ;get global hunger value
;calculate hunger restore perc
if (!Game.getPlayer().IsWeaponDrawn())
	if (cHunger>=0 && cHunger<=1.23) ;stuffed
	ccalPerc = 0.8;
	elseIf (cHunger>=1.24 && cHunger<=6.75) ;not hungry
		ccalPerc = 0.8
	elseIf (cHunger>=6.76 && cHunger<=9.61) ;peckish
		ccalPerc = 0.4
	elseIf (cHunger>=9.62 && cHunger<=42.73) ;hungry
		ccalPerc = 0.2	
	elseIf (cHunger>=42.74 && cHunger<=90.0) ;starving
		ccalPerc = 0.1	
	elseIf (cHunger>=90.01 && cHunger<=100.00) ;dying from starvation
		ccalPerc = 0.1			
	endIf
else
ccalPerc = 0.05
endIf

cHunger -=(ccalPerc * cHunger)
if cHunger<0
	cHunger = 0
endIf

if (!Game.getPlayer().IsWeaponDrawn())
;10% chance eating this will make the player sick and puke
	if (Utility.randomInt(0,100)>=90)
		;set cHunger to hungry state
		cHunger = TRO_Hunger.getValue()
		if (cHunger<10.0)
			cHunger = 10.0
		endIf
		;if player is not already playing an idle, play it
		game.getPlayer().playIdle(pukeIdle)
		staleFoodMessage.show()			
		Utility.wait(7)
		Game.getPlayer().playIdle(IdleStop)
	endIf
else
weaponDrawnMessage.show()
if (Utility.randomInt(0,100)>90)
	staleFoodMessage.show()
	cHunger = TRO_Hunger.getValue()
	if (cHunger<10.0)
			cHunger = 10.0
	endIf
	Game.disablePlayerControls(true, true, false, false, false, false, false)
	Game.getPlayer().playIdle(pukeIdle)
	Utility.wait(7)
	Game.getPlayer().playIdle(IdleStop)
	Game.enablePlayerControls()
endIf
endIf		
;set global
TRO_Hunger.setValue(cHunger)

endEvent

As you can see, it is even bigger. It works fine. In fact, it doesn't matter how big the script is, it matters what it does. You could have a very short script which could take up a lot of processing power, or a really long one which would have a negligible load. As long as you program it properly, meaning it doesn't end up doing anything it isn't supposed to do, you should be just fine.

Also, you cannot delete properties directly in the properties panel. It won't let you. You have to delete them in code.

Edited by Mansh00ter

@David, I've no idea how to delete those Properties in the CK UI once you Add them :/ (on Quest Stage Fragments)

That may be a job that can be done in one of the user-created tools. It does seem to be an oversight in the CK.

I think there's some misunderstandings in the thread that you are talking about Fragments (in this case Topic Info Fragments.

So no you don't need the scriptname, Properties, or OnEvent sections in the script body.

I'm not familiar with the Topic Info fragments, but I've just tried to do what you are trying and understand your frustration. The UI seems broken... or it's just very limited in what you can do. I worked around that by declaring the Faction in a script attached to the main quest.

ScriptName YourQuestMainScriptName extends Quest

Faction Property FactionPropertyName Auto

Then in your Fragment...

Faction foo
foo = (GetOwningQuest() as YourQuestMainScriptName).FactionPropertyName
akSpeaker.SetFactionRank(foo, 0)

That will now compile OK, but I didn't test it ingame.

I'm not sure if that is the right actor you wanted (the magic akSpeaker object variable), but the wiki page linked above shows you how to get the other actor of the dialog.

Hope that helps.