Just upgraded to Ryzen - Not much better so far

vegaspro64

I very recently upgraded what was my FX 8350 @4.65, Asus M5A99 r2 pro, 16gb 186mhz to my current 1700x, Asus 370 Pro, and 3000mhz Corsair vengeance. A very large upgrade yielding poo poo results so far.. As far as the rest of my system, I use dual-SLI 1070s OC'd 100mhz and 800mhz and an SSD. I think I can say my rig classifies as "high end". My 1700x is boosted to 3.77ghz currently/

My game is modded and was modded before the upgrade, and yes there are many graphics mods and things like that but not the problem.

So my gaming experience is amazing when dwelling the rural wastes with consistent 59fps and average 120 uncapped. And then I sometimes adventure into Boston and the framerate, like with the 8350, significantly drops as low as 17fps in some areas. Not good right? Yeah can't be..

So before, I would use Bilago's launch and tweak program to get everything I could out of this game. After the upgrade I set a lot of things to default settings, all max, and the performance is the same if not worse with the new 1700x and it doesn't make much sense.

So I'm 100% positive that my game is just goofed up but I'm not sure where to look or what I need to change is.

So any suggestions help and if anyone has a profile they made for their ryzen machine I'd like to try it and see what it'll do for me.

I know how you fell, I also was expecting more after upgrading to gtx1070 lol. But yeah...downtown Boston is still fps killer, its the shadows draw distance what kills them and overall Falllout 4 optimization. Iv been digging a lot about this topic and there's no "fix" to that. You can tweak your ini files a bit godrays, shadow resolution, switch to video card v-sync not the ingame one but most impact you get from shadow draw distance.

Edited by Highlander666

I cancelled my 1800x preorder at the last minute and got em to send me a 7700k. I seen some last minute benches in games suggesting that Ryzen wouldn't be great for gaming.

In benches the 7700k is around 30% faster on average than my 3960x was, about the same in rendering for Fallout 4. But also my Ram is faster (latency wise, little slower in bandwidth though), my GPU OCs higher now and I have sinced upped the clock to 4.8 daily.

I know how you fell, I also was expecting more after upgrading to gtx1070 lol. But yeah...downtown Boston is still fps killer, its the shadows draw distance what kills them and overall Falllout 4 optimization. Iv been digging a lot about this topic and there's no "fix" to that. You can tweak your ini files a bit godrays, shadow resolution, switch to video card v-sync not the ingame one but most impact you get from shadow draw distance.

Welp. I guess I'll be messing with bilago all day again. Downtown boston is far too detailed to compromise for most machines and all the buildings are close so yeah the shadows in general are going to impact a lot of the performance.

I cancelled my 1800x preorder at the last minute and got em to send me a 7700k. I seen some last minute benches in games suggesting that Ryzen wouldn't be great for gaming.

In benches the 7700k is around 30% faster on average than my 3960x was, about the same in rendering for Fallout 4. But also my Ram is faster (latency wise, little slower in bandwidth though), my GPU OCs higher now and I have sinced upped the clock to 4.8 daily.

Well judging from the benchmarks I've seen people do with this game, there isn't much of a performance difference at this current time with these two processors. The 1700X is very similar to it's bigger brother 1800x and the 7700k holds a slight lead in fps but I feel like at this point in time with all of the driver and game updates out that you can't really go wrong with choosing AMD over intel.. Besides all of my other games look amazing and have yielded far better performance improvement than what I saw with my old setup, and going on that I know that there is something wrong with my fallout and that it can be fixed.

GTA V with REDUX looks killer (screw T2 and their OpenIV lawsuit :sad:).. Especially at an average FPS of 90+

HITMAN with dynamic Super Resolution and max settings is phantasmal :laugh:

Battlefield 1 and SW Battlefront max out my 155hz monitor now when they only did about 70fps before.... Thats more than 100% improvement

Every other game in my library has improved about 100-80% since this upgrade and I'm very pleased but Fallout 4 is being a b&@*$.

I play all of these games at 1080p, usually with a lot of GPU scaling.

This game is rough on CPUs & likes them with strong cores. That being said, my old i7 2600k can run a modded game at 3440 X 1440 at 60fps everywhere in Boston.

You should be ok with what you have. Your CPU has about the same core strength as an I5 2500k & they have no problem with this game when paired with a single 970 at 1080 resolution.

SLI is really bad. I only get 8 to 10 fps improvement with my 2 x 980ti over a single GPU. My other SLI games yield a 70% plus increase over a single GPU.

The same game with the same mods runs better on my old i7 2600k rig than it does on my newer i7 6700k rig. It is a mystery to me why. The only advantage the i7 2600k rig has is more vram.

You can get I/O stutter even with SSDs with the game. My i7 6700k rig gets it, my i7 2600k rig doesn't. They both use the same brand 1tb SSD & the newer rig wins every benchmark test.

What I recommend is, shadows to medium. Use ENB or drivers for AA, not the game. Try DSR with no AA(it does the same thing).

Remove all landscape textures. If you want a different look use Reshade or ENB.

Later

I can't say I've seen much benefit to Fallout 4 after moving it to its own M2 card (960 Evo.).

I'm still curious as to why the game like to hover 4GB of VRAM, like it will load up to 5-5.5GB in load screens then purge down to 3.5-4 GB every time. Have not seen any statistics on the 8GB and 11GB cards though.

Thread author. Hitting 17 FPS is very low. I have an i5 with 3.2 ghz boosted and the lowest i hit is probably ~30 (and they feel like 20 FPS)

Also it depends on the shadow settings. Getting shadowboost helps a lot.

I can hit 15 FPS, but only when precombined and previs are disabled.