Just upgraded to Ryzen - Not much better so far

vegaspro64

I'll throw my 2 cents in and help.

I7 4790k oc to 4.6

16gb 1600mhz ram

Adata SSD

980ti

I run the game @ 1080p with ultra settings I generally stay at 60fps even in Boston I may drop a few but mainly stay at 60fps

I have various texture mods at 2k and 4k. So far things that have worked are dropping the item distance fade slider to about half. From my understanding this just controls things that you pick up like junk, stimpacks etc. I also cut the shadows down to medium on distance and detail. I also run ultra god rays and use this mod to fix the performance of the god rays

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15211/?.

Also as others have said enboost and mess around with the settings and find the sweet spot for the memory setting. I did the math for mine and it was still not working I dropped it down a few gigs and I started to see a big improvement. There are several guides on how to setup enboost if you are unfamiliar with it.

IF you have the time and patience then I recommend getting the creation kit and packing all of your texture files in the Fallout 4 data folder into a ba2 archive. I read from a few other forums including this one that the engine doesn't like loading textures from the ba2 archive and from loose files and has been known to cause the low resolution bug that textures will have. Packing all of my loose texture files into a ba2 archive also helped gain a few frames and stopped this annoying stutter i was having when running around and flying in a vertibird.

Other than that just google search ini tweak guides, some help and some don't. I couldn't tell you which ones work and which don't. Some days I spend more time looking up how to fix Fallout 4 then I actually spend playing it

I have ENB installed for the fake light fix only I believe, never had any luck with ENBoost, did try to use it for the occasional LOD bugs (full detail not loading) on certain highway textures and the limestone textures from the quarry, but it makes the problem worse.

Big help to FPS in this game is to drop shadow distance or use shadow boost. GodRays are a bit heavy too seems you have to run them at ultra to stop the blocky-ness problem.

Edit - I remember Boris was talking about something to do with the way F4 works with L2/L3 cache, perhaps F4 will benefit from Intels new approach with the new X series processors.

I have ENB installed for the fake light fix only I believe, never had any luck with ENBoost, did try to use it for the occasional LOD bugs (full detail not loading) on certain highway textures and the limestone textures from the quarry, but it makes the problem worse.

Big help to FPS in this game is to drop shadow distance or use shadow boost. GodRays are a bit heavy too seems you have to run them at ultra to stop the blocky-ness problem.

Edit - I remember Boris was talking about something to do with the way F4 works with L2/L3 cache, perhaps F4 will benefit from Intels new approach with the new X series processors.

Yea, I have probably spent the better of 2 weeks or so trying to fix the low texture lod issue. I tooled around with ENBoost and I also packed all of my loose textures into a ba2 archive and it really seemed to help quite a bit. I still get blurry or low quality textures but not nearly to the extent that I was.

Since I have a ton of graphics mods it was a super time consuming progress.

This game is rough on CPUs & likes them with strong cores. That being said, my old i7 2600k can run a modded game at 3440 X 1440 at 60fps everywhere in Boston.

You should be ok with what you have. Your CPU has about the same core strength as an I5 2500k & they have no problem with this game when paired with a single 970 at 1080 resolution.

SLI is really bad. I only get 8 to 10 fps improvement with my 2 x 980ti over a single GPU. My other SLI games yield a 70% plus increase over a single GPU.

The same game with the same mods runs better on my old i7 2600k rig than it does on my newer i7 6700k rig. It is a mystery to me why. The only advantage the i7 2600k rig has is more vram.

You can get I/O stutter even with SSDs with the game. My i7 6700k rig gets it, my i7 2600k rig doesn't. They both use the same brand 1tb SSD & the newer rig wins every benchmark test.

What I recommend is, shadows to medium. Use ENB or drivers for AA, not the game. Try DSR with no AA(it does the same thing).

Remove all landscape textures. If you want a different look use Reshade or ENB.

Later

Thanks for the tips, those are things I didn't try yet.

It's crazy how such an old intel cpu can keep up with this game because of its strong larger cores.. That really goes to show how poorly optimized this game is.

I'm still loving my Ryzen experience though, wouldn't trade for anything right now.

Post your modlist

Here's my current load order:

GameMode=Fallout4
Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
SettlementKeywords.esm=1
Endless Warfare.esm=1
Robot Home Defence.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
Insignificant Object Remover.esp=1
CommonwealthConifersREDUX.esp=1
Radiant Clouds and Fogs.esp=1
Grasslands - Healthy.esp=1
Grasslands - Healthy - Extreme.esp=1
NX Pro - Farm Core.esp=1
SaveManager.esp=0
CompanionAccuracy.esp=1
EFF.esp=1
Locky Bastard.esp=1
AutomatronCountyCrossingFix.esp=1
AA FusionCityRising.esp=1
MainQuestShortcut.esp=0
OutcastsAndRemnants.esp=1
CombatZoneRestored.esp=1
leveledlightsabers.esp=1
HC_Western Duster.esp=0
MojaveImports.esp=1
Wasteland Arsenal.esp=0
Castle Armory.esp=1
BetterGenerators.esp=1
Fashionable Valentine.esp=1
Mosin.esp=0
ColtM1911.esp=1
JMSFoundary.esp=1
ClassicSniper.esp=1
ExtraLongBarrels.esp=1
XXL_DKS-501_.50-Uranium.esp=1
ForcePowers.esp=1
WLightSaber.esp=1
mjp_PTRS41ATR.esp=0
Institute Weapons = Laser Weapons.esp=1
LongerPowerLinesInf.esp=1
Invulnerable Turrets 1.05 - x3 DEF.esp=0
WBO.esp=1
WBO-Automatron.esp=1
GatlingRifle.esp=1
GatlingRifle-Commando.esp=1
CROSS_PlasRail.esp=1
MirandaOutfit.esp=0
AER14.esp=0
VendorCaps_50k.esp=1
PersonalPackAnimals.esp=0
RangerSequoiaCraft.esp=0
Rangergearnew.esp=1
ScrapScrap.esp=1
Ballistic Vault Suits.esp=0
Ballistic Vault Suits 1.2.esp=0
ShadowedSynthArmor.esp=0
Crossbow.esp=0
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Ballistic Weave.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - No Crafting Perks.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Power Armor Carry Capacity.esp=1
NX Pro - Harvest Overhaul.esp=1
NX Pro - Farm Core - No Requirements.esp=1
BetterFallon'sBasement.esp=0
DOOMDesertEagle.esp=0
WastelandImports_NukaColaCherry.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
PIP-Pad.esp=1
PIP-Pad_Pip-BoyFlashlight.esp=0
LegendaryModification.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LM.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LMAKPatch.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp=1
LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp=1
ICPA.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarborExtraRads.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-GlowingSeaExtraRads.esp=1
Double_Barrel_Spread_And_Range.esp=1
Meloncider.esp=1
DeathclawLauncher.esp=1
StartMeUp.esp=1
RemoteExplosives.esp=1
CROSS_GoreCrits.esp=1
CROSS_GoreCrits_FarHarborPatch.esp=1
IamRoboBrain.esp=1
DEOXstorm.esp=1
BlasTech E-11.esp=1
LightsaberMod.esp=1
---------------------------
Wasteland flora is the most taxing mod to be honest, but it isn't related to my performance issues am experiencing since Boston doesn't really have that many trees inside of it.

Thread author. Hitting 17 FPS is very low. I have an i5 with 3.2 ghz boosted and the lowest i hit is probably ~30 (and they feel like 20 FPS)

Also it depends on the shadow settings. Getting shadowboost helps a lot.

I can hit 15 FPS, but only when precombined and previs are disabled.

I think I should record my game to show you just how bad it get's. I've seen my fps counter dip down as far as 15 actually, and there's been blocks where the fps stays at 25-30.

I'll have to check out shadowboost. I think I had it on a previous load order but I have had to reinstall this game so many times now that I really can't recall when I was using it. Hey I guess that's what the user mod history is for though.

What really helped me in some of the Boston areas was getting rid of the ENBoost program.

Is this a program in the FO4 game folder?

I noticed that you have Commonwealth Conifers installed. If I remember correctly, that mod requires disabling precombined meshes (ie adding "bUseCombinedObjects=0" to your config), which will absolutely murder your performance in downtown Boston. The problem with disabling precombined meshes is that it forces the game to draw significantly more shadows than it otherwise would, and as others have mentioned, shadows are the top dog when it comes to performance killers in Fallout 4. I'm running an i5-2500K myself, and disabling precombined meshes will take me from 60fps to 15fps in the heaviest areas in Boston.

Try removing that line from your config or changing the 0 to 1 to enable it and compare your performance. Unfortunately, enabling precombined meshes means you're going to see significantly less trees with mods like that, so if it is the culprit, you'll have to decide which trade-off you prefer: worse performance in Boston, or less trees.

Edited by Tukster

I'll throw my 2 cents in and help.

I7 4790k oc to 4.6

16gb 1600mhz ram

Adata SSD

980ti

I run the game @ 1080p with ultra settings I generally stay at 60fps even in Boston I may drop a few but mainly stay at 60fps

I have various texture mods at 2k and 4k. So far things that have worked are dropping the item distance fade slider to about half. From my understanding this just controls things that you pick up like junk, stimpacks etc. I also cut the shadows down to medium on distance and detail. I also run ultra god rays and use this mod to fix the performance of the god rays

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15211/?.

Also as others have said enboost and mess around with the settings and find the sweet spot for the memory setting. I did the math for mine and it was still not working I dropped it down a few gigs and I started to see a big improvement. There are several guides on how to setup enboost if you are unfamiliar with it.

IF you have the time and patience then I recommend getting the creation kit and packing all of your texture files in the Fallout 4 data folder into a ba2 archive. I read from a few other forums including this one that the engine doesn't like loading textures from the ba2 archive and from loose files and has been known to cause the low resolution bug that textures will have. Packing all of my loose texture files into a ba2 archive also helped gain a few frames and stopped this annoying stutter i was having when running around and flying in a vertibird.

Other than that just google search ini tweak guides, some help and some don't. I couldn't tell you which ones work and which don't. Some days I spend more time looking up how to fix Fallout 4 then I actually spend playing it

Yeah I can recall spending far too much time tweaking the game to look good than actually enjoying it.

I will look into adding texture mods into the data folder using the geck (creation kit.... ew. I want my geck back) because it sounds like that will make the game play a lot better. Basically make the game think the modded textures are the vanilla textures.

I used bilago to create a longer loading time for textures and ever since I did that I have not seen any LOD bugs which I have seen before. This will probably make even more of a performance difference if I do what bluesunmerc said..

I noticed that you have Commonwealth Conifers installed. If I remember correctly, that mod requires disabling precombined meshes (ie adding "bUseCombinedObjects=0" to your config), which will absolutely murder your performance in downtown Boston. The problem with disabling precombined meshes is that it forces the game to draw significantly more shadows than it otherwise would, and as others have mentioned, shadows are the top dog when it comes to performance killers in Fallout 4. I'm running an i5-2500K myself, and disabling precombined meshes will take me from 60fps to 15fps in the heaviest areas in Boston.

Try removing that line from your config or changing the 0 to 1 to enable it and compare your performance. Unfortunately, enabling precombined meshes means you're going to see significantly less trees with mods like that, so if it is the culprit, you'll have to decide which trade-off you prefer: worse performance in Boston, or less trees.

Damn well I should've figured. Yeah I had that mod installed and edited the INI for denser trees and it truely is a gorgeous mod that way. Yeah this makes a lot of sense now. I'll have to remove that line and see what it does. I doubt it will do anything other than what you described.

I would have never suspected that it was that mod because I didn't know what that line does. The mod author said that he never saw a performance drop with those lines added which is kind of strange. Maybe there is some other kind of line he could've added instead that didn't ruin the game :(

I'll see what the game runs like with this line changed and report back.

As far as I know, the only real alternative is creating new precombined meshes, and I don't think that's even possible with the tools we have available; I think it's something only Bethesda themselves are capable of. Spiffy found an alternative with Rustbelt Flora that only disables certain precombined meshes rather than all of them, but - at least for me, I can't speak for others - that still has just as much of a performance impact for me. I honestly hope it isn't the cause of your issues, because I know first-hand how hard it is to give up those lush forests. Edited by Tukster

Ok. Just played the game with bUseCombinedObjects=1 and there were definitely less trees and only slightly better preformance overall. Boston was still pretty bad; spots with 22fps minimum. This is very confusing.