Just upgraded to Ryzen - Not much better so far

vegaspro64

I'd say that likely means your issue lies elsewhere. If disabling precombined meshes was the culprit, you would have seen a significant increase in framerates. It makes sense, honestly - a brand new, significantly more powerful CPU should be able to handle this game a lot better than my 6 year old 2500K. It sucks that we have to go back to the drawing board, but at least you don't have to give up the trees. I'll look through your mod list again and see if there's anything else that sticks out to me as a potential culprit.

Boston is draw call hungry. I still havent figured where the bleed is on my end but I have a spot down there that calls 40,000 draw calls. Frames go down around 28 i think was the min for me. Its not preclac being off either.

But yeah anyway Boston is a hole

I get 59/60 fps everywhere in Boston. That is at 1440 & 4k resolution with my i7 6700k rig.

CPU usage is 10% higher there compared to the rest of the world. My i7 2600k rig has an 8% higher usage than the i7 6700k rig & will drop into the 50s from 60fps for a second or two. I don't feel the drops, I only see them on the counter.

In my game VRAM usage in Boston averages 5.5gbs compared to 3.5gbs in the rest of the world. This alone would drop frame rate in Boston on a GPU with less than 6gb vram.

GPU usage stays at around 50% everywhere in Boston with a GTX 980ti at 1440 resolution. In the rest of the world it is 10 to 20% higher.

6 months ago I had issues with framerate drops in Boston. The drops where CPU based. Usage was in the 70s were the drops occurred. I suspected meshes. What I ended up doing was temporarily removing my esp mods & testing. Without the esp mods I had no drops in Boston or anywhere else. The only 2 mods I had that add lots of meshes where CBBE & Endless Warfare. CBBE was not disabled with the esps so it had to be Endless Warfare.

Since Boston has 10% higher CPU usage than the rest of the game it was being overwhelmed by the spawn counts & the rest of the game wasn't. Fortunately Endless Warfare is configurable & dropping the NPC counts fixed the issue. Now I have 7 radroaches chasing me instead of the 10 I had before.

Ryzen is new hardware & ini settings that work for i5 & i7s my not be working for your newer CPU. You my want to start experimenting with CPU settings like iNumHWThreads. You may get lucky.

Later

Lil update here after a bit of an absence. I was able to increase the game's performance substantially due to the ShadowBoost mod.

Now I am currently working on packing all of my texture mods into one large ba2 archive for performance reasons.

Also I've been experiencing lots of crashes around settlements with decent builds, more crashes the more complex the settlement. No error and I couldn't find any error reports in any logs so I have no idea. I think once I'm done with this texture packing I'm going to reinstall the game and start fresh and reinstall my load order.

Also a question about ba2 packing, can I delete the "Texture" folder from (..Fallout 4\Data) after I place the newly made ba2 texture pack with it's plugin? These are the loose files that are causing performance and LOD bugs right?

While archiving I had some files skipped by Archive2 because they weren't supported. I'm guessing I should delete everything besides these files in the \Textures, \Meshes and \Materials folders.

Edited by vegaspro64

Rather than deleting them, you might want to try just disabling them by renaming their folders. For example, I packed the files for my Scavenged Mercenary Gear mod into .ba2 archives, but I keep the loose files in my directory to make it easier if I want to make changes, add new stuff or fix bugs. Whenever I'm not using them, I just rename the folders and add "_disabled" at the end, which stops the game from loading them. Even just adding a space or a dash is enough, all that matters is that the name is different. Of course, if disk space is a concern, you could also back them up on a storage drive. I just wouldn't recommend deleting them entirely; you never know if you might eventually have issues with your archives.