[LE] Keeping animals in cage

Hello, I am doing my first project with the Creation Kit and ran into a problem, I can´t get the animals to load inside a cage. I was able to get them to do that at first, but after the navmesh was done they started to appear outside the cage. I searched for a solution and found something about the actors appearing on the closest navmesh vertex, so I put a vertex in the center of the cages (like picture below) but it didn´t solve the problem. I also tried using markers like animalLyingDownIdleMarker inside the cage but it didn´t work either. I just don´t know what to do. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/8Ipd4f8.jpg

Not 100% sure whether it would work, but try putting an X-marker heading in the cage, and make the animal "Linked" to that (double click the animal in the render window, select 'linked ref' and then target the x-marker). It might not work with x-markers, but with Furniture Markers that makes the NPC instantly use them upon loading, allowing you to position them; it's possible the same effect will work with a marker.

Besides the X-marker, you should create a small separate navmesh for the cage that is NOT connected to the remaining navmesh. Try to have some space between the main navmesh and the cage navmesh.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Not 100% sure whether it would work, but try putting an X-marker heading in the cage, and make the animal "Linked" to that (double click the animal in the render window, select 'linked ref' and then target the x-marker). It might not work with x-markers, but with Furniture Markers that makes the NPC instantly use them upon loading, allowing you to position them; it's possible the same effect will work with a marker.

I tried using Xmarker and it worked partially, as the bipedal creatures (a troll and a falmer) are behaving as I want, but the quadrupeds (wolf, bear and sabre cat) are not. At first I thought it was because of their shape, as I noticed that when they are selected and you move the cursor to their sides, it stays in move mode for some distance, and that made me think that they "occupy" all the space of their rotation. But I made the cage bigger (exaggeratedly so) to allow full rotational movement, and even kept the animal floating a little bit, but it didn´t work. Is there a fundamental difference between biped and quadruped creatures that I´m missing?

Besides the X-marker, you should create a small separate navmesh for the cage that is NOT connected to the remaining navmesh. Try to have some space between the main navmesh and the cage navmesh.

I had come across this solution before but never actually tried it, because I wanted to make the scene so that if the player opened the cages the animals would attack, but I think I might have to settle for keeping them in the cages, as it´s not important for the big picture that they are able to leave the cages, it was more of an immersion concern of mine. I´ll try it out!

• 2 weeks later...

The navmesh island solution worked. Thanks!