Question about processors

QuantumBios

I'm running an i7-6700HQ prcessor in my laptop. In the control panel device manager, it shows 8 cores under the processor tab. The Fallout 4 Config tool says I have four cores and set iNumHWThreads=4. I changed the value to 8 in the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Custom.ini and the game ran fine. What gives? What should I set it at? Isn't the fallout4custom.ini the final word on what gets loaded?

Edited by QuantumBios

I haven't run an intel processor in a long time but what I remember is that windows sees each core and the hyperthreading as an additional core. What I'm finding on your cpu is that it is a 4 core hyperthreaded prot and I'm guessing because I dont know anything about the source code for FO4 but my guess is that it will not utilize more than 4 cores or threads... That is only a guess on my part though. Looking through my ini files I'm not finding that as a default line in it so it must be something with your processor being an Intel one to cause the line to even be there.

Fallout 4 will use as many as you give it, to whatever extent it is. You have 4 cores with hyperthreading, so you have 8. It is proven from what I've seen that it runs just slightly better with hyperthreading on. So don't turn that off :)

Really you should set iNumThreads to 7. 0 is an integer in computer terms.

Btw that line is present in Fallout4.ini by default, usually

Just came across this thread and it sounds interesting. But for the life of me I cannot seem to find the aforementioned string in my ini files. Running a 6 core I-5820 and wouldn't mind assigning all 6 of them to the game if possible.

Just paste the above line in your Fallout.ini and put 11. 5820k has hyper threading.

I'm not exactly sure what the game does when it uses all those cores, I had the 3960x with 6/12 cores and I could see all being utilized, it just doesn't make all that much difference. Well I mean the renderer is still on one core mainly but yeah not sure what it spreads to those other cores.