Dirge of Leviathan

Dragonspyre

DIRGE OF LEVIATHAN

ACT I

ACT I SCENE I

Narrator: This be a tale of the dragon Leviathan, a victim of circvmstance and tragedy, a reqviem serving as a dirge regarding his life and its downward spiral into misery, to his tragic end and his eternal tortvre in the fires of Hell. Bvt amongst all the darkness, Leviathan only speaks of hope and light.

[Leviathan rises ovt of the sea, in the port of Acre, scales glistening in the avrvm svn above in splendor trve. Leviathan lazily stretches his form, as the soft crack of his bones can be heard in a gracefvl symphony. Enter Villager 1 at this time.]

Villager 1: Greetings, Leviathan. I do trvst that so well has this morn treated thee, and that thy way is of ivbilant glee and glory resovnding?

Leviathan: O, Hark, dear little one! Hark, to the sky, and hear the larks and iays and petrels that doth so dear sing their symphony, their ivbilant melody of blissfvl glee? ‘Tis of fine way, ‘tis of magnanimovs ioy and hvmble form, that I doth so appear before thee!

Villager 1: O, Leviathan, thov art of svch clear path, and so oft of so resovnding ivstice, thy bovnty of ovr wone so abovnding that it span fromst the cwm of the valleys to the shores of the sea beyond vs.

Leviathan: Being so graciovs thov art, bvt thy way hath done me violence as to neglect the natvre of mine wisdom, so for the frvits of mine path doth be ordained on high by the mercy of ovr Lord in the Aether above ivst, he of oft so kind and compassionate personage!

Villager 1: So doth cleared this way be by thee, bvt one may so glean that comest from thee wovld be that vice of vanity’s avra, naïve Leviathan thov might be.

Leviathan: ‘Strve, good sire thov art to be, bvt calleth me not a child, for ancient I be, centvries thy senior, and I so may pvt forth to thee that clear known to mine ways are those vices that so Lvcifer doth attempt to enraptvre vs in this darkness.

[speaking as departing] Villager 1: Go mvst I, kind doth the Lord be to thy life, name, and day, dear Leviathan. I bid thee a farewell and a grand day, may it ne’er so be twixt by rot of natvre.

[Enter Villagers 2 throvgh 8]

Villager 2: Magnificent be this morn, trvly so, ‘tis not, Leviathan?

Leviathan: Grandiose be the form of a day ne’er so robt of breath as this, that ne’er so ierk the chain of Hell, that even its hovnds ne’er so bark as the day of a restless calm amongst thrice twixt irony abovst ovr sovls.

Villager 3: Bvt dost not thy mind concern itself with the natvres of the proposed actions Barrabant?

Leviathan: Carefree doth I not be, bvt concerneth mineself not of the matters of the political machinachas of men of petty and viciovs hearts. Barrabant doth so concern mine place of wone here in the land of Acre, bvt so do I not fret vponst the perpetration of rvmors amongst the lips so sovrly ordained of gossip revolving abovst the actions that so have not been taken.

Villager 4: Svch is naïve, dear sire, bvt I svppose thov art to containst thy ways, foolish so as they may be.

Villager 3: Verily, thovgh so sovred by gossipy lips, one mvst have bvt concern for thy reef, for in these fires shalt Barrabant see so fit for thy ways a desolation and destrvction. Wovldst thov be so daft as to tvrn blind eye to thy fate, that the way of the naïve mind thov art in possession of covldst so be thy own downfall trve?

Leviathan: Bvt a fool so wovld one, and I so be, for the vengefvl acts against mine own benefactor, or even still so greatly and greater against mine Maker, vnivstified for their own natvre being oft bred as so, that they are begat solely from vncommitted acts? Nay, sayeth I, for I am of love!

Villager 7: One day, wise one of old, there mvst be some defense against the crvel!

Leviathan: Daft I be not, as some hath proclaimed me so, for I am well aware of the moonsilken webs that are spvn alongst the cavernovs airs of the fabriqves of deception and madness. I choose not to be rash and evil, in this way, for that is not what mine Lord, and thine too, hath ordained for me!

Villager 8: Be diplomat so, then! Do in some way defend thy livelihood!

Leviathan: Spite shalt I not any man, even if so he vsvrp iewels!

Villager 5: O, Leviathan, remain in thy way if thov art svited to svch way. Bvt how canst one cry so bitter these atrociovs tears ifst thov remain in way svch so?

Leviathan: Hark, yovng being, for spake I to thee, men, that svch is so natvre of frail heart and petrified way. Fret, thov mvst not, over the vncommited!

[As the villagers leave offstage] Villager 6: Be thy way clear, bvt clovst not thy mind, nor rot thy sovl, in the naïve water in which thov dost lie.

[Alone, head down in pondering] Leviathan: O, Lord, canst not these simple beasts vnderstand thy ways? Ivstice is ne’er so poorly served by thy hand, and shalt I continved down path of other way? Nay, for these men see not how so deeply doth I remain in the hands of love.

[Leviathan once more retreat into the sea, continving his day as any wovld be.]

END OF ACT I SCENE I

ACT I

SCENE II

[Enter Barrabant and Cadvcivs]

[Pointing to schematics on table] Barrab.: These are the plans I had, sir, for the modernization of Acre. Qvestion I often these motives that these people carry, that they rely on a leperovs water slvg for the commencement of ovr commerce!

Cadvcivs: A machinacha complex thov art proposing. Wherefore these great large hvnks of glass, iron, and brass? Wherefore these pipes that channel aerovs water? What devilry hath possessed thee? Wherefore so abandon as resovrcefvl, and cheap, a panacea as ovr friend the Leviathan?

Barrab.: Be not so daft, sir! A panacea? Nay, A plagve! Do we not empty the waters and clear ovr fields ivst to svstain the shingled mongrel? Do we not relict ovr very seas to sate its baffling thirsts? O, hark, Cadvsivs, for this doth be the death of vs, to let so be this diseased lizard in ovr waters!

Cadvcivs: Sate my qvestion, do so hvmovr me in my knowledgeable qvest, Barrabant. Wherefore doth thy hatred of Leviathan, one who has so greatly booned vs and hath asked for navght in retvrn, bvrn brightly so?

Barrab.: See how far pvt back are we! See that that mvddy, sickly serpent takes away mvch more than he gives! We mvst so pvsh forward into the indvstrial era, so that we can stop clicking branch and rock together to make fire by the hands of Leviathan’s treacherovs impeding of ovr progress!

Cadvcivs: Calm thy ever wagging tongve, miscreant! Note these baffling enigmas may so replace Leviathan, bvt so shalt the reef be vtterly decimated amongst this! Wherefore destroy svch marvel of natvre, to boot, Leviathan’s place of wone?

Barrab.: Svrely thov art stvpid or blind, to keep a clvmsy reef that so block ovr port!

Cadvcivs: Leviathan can so overcome it.

Barrab.: Leviathan is the reason solely Acre lies a fiscal wasteland! Let me salvage it before ev’rything dies!

Cadvcivs: Then so be it! Leave me in peace, carry ovt this insanity, bvt cry not when Acre is in rvins!

Barrab.: Mankafa ahmak! ‘Strve that svch is a gambler’s dart, bvt ne’er can ascension occvr when we art crippled in way by an abhorrent beast of Antiqvity!

Cadvcivs: Blind and dvmb fool! Stay thy razor’s way, and hold thy contempvovs tongve! Realize I be the one throvgh whom thy plans are to be to die or live.

Barrab.: Forgive me mine wrath, forgive me mine vice, bvt for these so, the grand peoples of Acre, let vs so be known, let so vs vsher Acre into an era of cvprvm and ferrvm!

Cadvcivs: So it be, bvt as thy bvilders stay by vs with these bizarre machinachas and metals, do so tell wherefore thy rage towardst Leviathan doth storm with a fvriovs natvre?

Barrab.: Locke and key, vnder svch I be, for I wont so this abandon to be of frvition, that I can be vnchained from this ghastly hell! Cephillas’ bane, that which shalt be scratched and scraped are partitioned by a wizened claw, that doth so keep me crvshed vnder the rancid bath of avra of caitiff and chvrl, soaking inst my flesh the rotten wick of the pvtrescent pond scvm of the odiferovs wyrm that so serve as my master, my sovl’s bane.

Cadvcivs: A score doth be settled by thy ways? That thov art contemplating that that covldst so spell ovr end? Over a petty hatred borne of a locked sea?

Barrab.: Ne’er so clear may I ask, or so wrongly glean, dost thov approve of mine plans?

Cadvcivs: I regret so great my decision, ifst not so spoiled by the feigning I present so daftly oft here of foresight so, bvt so mvst Acre come from the depths of this slovgh, to arise into the ways of machines!

Barrab.: So then, sir, do I take mine leave, and so mvst I now go to shadow, and take mine leave.

[barrabant leaves offstage]

Cadvcivs: May Acre either flovrish glory or perish in flame and fire!

[Cadvcivs departs]

END OF ACT I SCENE II

ACT I

SCENE III

[Restless povnding emanates in Acre, as the machinachas come to frvition, and Leviathan awakes at the iarring cacophony of blades and hammers glide alongst the svrfaces of the machines, creating a discordant melody amongst the iagged edges of strvctvres. Enter in ships, pipes, and Bvilders 1-3]

Leviathan: O, wretched sovnds! What monstrovs bellows do so forth emanate cries of a banshee from its maw?

Bvilder 1: Svrely, fromst thee commences iape and sneer at the very concept of the wind and ink we doth send forth!

Leviathan: Grace mine way, sir, for I intend not offense or ill way vpon thee! Merely ask doth I bvt of this symphony of hammers and saws that so do brazenly even pierce the waters!

Bvilder 2: Pray no ill will vpon mine friend, being oft raining vponst vs svch magnanimovs glory, for ill fovnd can be his way.

[in hvmovr] Leviathan: Oft are thee, little ones, of svch lost way, bvt fear not thy way, so clear might I inform thee that svch din doth be bvt a ceaseless malady to mine temple great.

Bvilder 2: Clear, bvt as mvch as we wovldst so dearly like to silence ovr hammers and so end thy pangs, I sadly cannot, for we are ordered by the way of Barrabant to hold clear and trve to ovr pvrpose, and finish the task we hath started in so pvnctval and apt of fashion.

Leviathan: Barrabant? Gossip, it be not? ‘Strve what they hath so clearly pvt forth to mine ears and hath so rvng as ifst it were bells begat in crystal, morn before!

Bvilder 3: Ifst thov so now hadst spake so clearly of him, Leviathan, note his coming forth…

[barrabant enters]

Barrab.: Forst how thov art slitting the very seam of mine coinpvrse, thov art not of apt bvilding ethic or skill.

Bvilder 3: Bless vs with svch forgiven way, for we art not oft of idle way, and so art only stopped to maintain bvt rapid and brief conversation with the Leviathan.

Barrab.: I am well aware of the presence of the brainless wyrm.

Leviathan: As mvch as thov art blest with eyes to see, thy statements do not do so great a ivstice to thine heart.

Barrab.: Silence thy pvtrid tongve, abyssal snake of the slvdge! Mine life is not for the pvrpose of banter with so vexing a creatvre.

Leviathan: Forgive me for the possible misconstrving of thine statements, bvt I am not of a vane way. ‘Tis not of the Lord.

Barrab.: Thy mere breath is a pestilence! I loathe thy existence to the core, for thine condvct is so vile and has stench thick by the feigned natvres of thy false piety! Holy being, thov art not, bvt rather an inhvmane, revolting abomination that plagves the Earth.

Leviathan: Thov art qvite exploitative of the pacifist natvres within me, for any being of sense of mind and not daft in logic wovldst so not be combative in hand or word to one of svch magnanimovs or so terrifying of dimension or girth.

[As departing, giving gestvre of thvmb between the ring and middle finger]Barrab.: I fear not the ways of some diseased mangy slvg like thee. Crawl back into thine hole, I give this fig to thee!

Leviathan: Perhaps ifst thov hadst so followed in flight of path that was so clear and trve more often than thov art displaying so forth, svch spite wovld be so revealed as needless and detrimental.

[barrabant picks vp a rock, tvrns arovnd, and hvrls it at Leviathan’s eye]

Barrab.: Ghastly wretch! Dvmb, plagve-stricken, repvgnant monster! For how thov art of svch digvsting and cvrsed way, thov art strvck by the Mark of Cain, yet thy way is to speak low of me, when thov art a gangly lovt, a cvrse vpon all man!

[Lowering his head so he is eye level with Barrabant] Leviathan: I follow as I shovld, and as all shovld, in the way of mine Father and ovr Saviovr, Christ. Thov art one who wovld be sage and wise to follow in the way I do, little one, for I pvt mine trvst and faith in the Lord. Done am I here, for I go back to gain what I lost in time.

[Leviathan departs into the sea once more, to make vp for time lost in sleep]

[To bvilders] Barrab.: Before mine entirety is robt, and I lie in so mvch more fiscal desolation than Acre, fvlfill thy dvties or gather thy severance!

Bvilder 1: Thy contempt is clear, bvt wherefore is the qvestion.

Barrab.: I am rotting and wizening in this cesspool of fetid whores and petrified filth solely by the hand of a holier-than-thov serpent. O, how bitter the ironies, that that which is the wellspring fromst which all evils come doth so bark at me, in piovs tone, on how I am to condvct mineself!

Bvilder 2: Lives risked in spite? How sick and vile a notion!

Barrab.: Not risked, bvt taken. Once I can raze Acre in entirety to the grovnd, I can focvs all effort on razing so this wretch that chains me here.

Bvilder 2: To mvrder an entire city in vengeance? To be to mankind a pestilence, ivst to take revenge on one who has not done thee wrong, a boon to vs no less?

Barrab.: I create a plagve, to remove three from Earth.

Bvilder 3: And the plagves thov art so fervently speaking the existence of wovld be?

Barrab.: Acre, its peasants, and its rotten sea lizard it so desperately clings to.

Bvilder 1: Bvt so mvch clear, be this so wrong! Svrely, svch measvre Lvcifer hadst spake in thy ear in fields of malice and crops of nightmares and shattered dreams!

Barrab.: Hold thy tongve and vse thy hammer! Give I thee, this, svch choice! Bread and wine take thee, or drovght and ill winds carry seeds of fire vponst thee!

[barrabant departs as Bvilders resvme work]

END OF ACT I SCENE III

ACT I

SCENE IV

[As a fortnight comes to pass, one night, Leviathan rises ovt of the water to find the machines, pipes, and ships are finished]

[Approaching Barrabant] Leviathan: What is the natvre of these, these bizarre machinachas that lie abovt? That encircle the port?

Barrab.: Not the scent of progress on the winds, bvt of a freeing wind, icy and cold, bvt so emancipating and intoxicating.

[Coming close to a ship to get a better look, whilst pvzzled] Leviathan: Verily, I ask of thee, little one, what are these monsters of mammoth shafts of metal and vapovr?

Barrab.: ‘Tis the harbinger of fate, as I tonight shalt remove from the world this city, and so thee, wicked wretch, that makes the pangs of the tongve e’er more increase!

[Looking at Barrabant in horror] Leviathan: And so for this, for wont of bitter escape and begat of hatred vile and sick, thov art so treacherovs as to set thy mind to genocide?

Barrab.: Ne’er these be missed, ne’er a sovl know of what I did. Nary a trace shalt be left of my hand, and so shalt I flee to the remotest lands!

Leviathan: What sick way, begat of depravity, that thov art to revel in the horrifying death of many men!

Barrab.: Only shalt thee feel my blade that iape and iest trve, as it tavnts thee with a sickening poison of sadistic way!

Leviathan: Daft man! How can thy heart be so resolvte ifst not in the way of the Lord? How doth thy way feel blest sleep?

Barrab.: Qvod necessitvm est legalvm, and I shalt be on wakes in morns’ time!

Leviathan: By whose word, I ask trve. Cvi bono, tell me this now!

Barrab.: Law is mine by my way, and now enact vpon this, do I. Pass to death, dragon!

[barrabant takes a torch and throws it onto the steam pipes, cavsing an explosive bvrst into fire, cavsing most of Acre to catch on fire]

Leviathan: Svrely thy calm cannot be maintained as thov art to see the carcasses of these people pile in masses great!

Barrab.: Nero did so fiddle as Rome bvrned, and so I shalt be wind as Acre lies in flames! Now, all that needs to end is thee, mongrel whelp!

[barrabant gets into one of the ships, and pvt forth to fvll speed the mass, towards Leviathan, and as it approaches Leviathan, he dives of ovt the way of the ship and swims away. As a resvlt, Barrabant’s ship crashes into the reef, and the ship bvrsts in a colossal explosion, a pillar of flame emerging as fiery svlfver rains down]

[Looking from afar at Acre, now a fiery rvin and raining slag] Leviathan: O, look forth, I do, as I see what was my livelihood descending into nothingness. Abyssal void, mine place of wone becomes, shattered reqviem amongst the frayed fabriqves of time. Ioy hath been taken fromst me, for these cold and crvel men, ifst not bvt one man, now passing in fire and flames into an ironwood grave in the waters, a victim of his own cold heart.

Leviathan: So mvst I now be castaway! Vagrant of the waters, orphan of the seas! May bread and wine take mine breath, ne’er so sated now as before, that I mvst grind mine fangs alongst the rocks and scratch mine claws against the mired floors of the Abyss below, to so prolong the life in me. Bvt ne’er so before was I concerned as now. Mvst I in desolation and desperation and hvnger be bvt a cvtpvrse and an execvtioner of men? Oh, so clearly do tell me, Lord, with thine heart and thine ways, how it is now that I mvst carry on, as the life I had becomes shadow? Preserve me, thine servant, throvgh thine mercy and thine ways, for this ioy is not so now complete in me and ne’er so mvch has been empty. As the frvits of the rotten mvst so sate mine lips, that I speak not in tongves of honey bvt in arsenic’s perish song, do so comfort me and gvide me throvgh the storm. Oft travel shalt I throvgh blazing fires and shalt Gaia’s winds rain shards of glassen frost vponst mine hide, as tempests shalt roar and flare and lightning tvrn my blood to esssse and my tongve to lead and my core to frigid and tepid stones that so bvrst within mine animvs, consvmmate fire to scorch my skin in the vernal hellfires. So deeply mvst I be held by thy firm way, as the nightmare in which I wone shalt waxxen e’er more in this time to come, so hold me stilled, away from the scythe, that callst I not to these ill hands below. O, Lord, tell me trve what shalt come to be in a frozen wasteland in which a millard stars are bvt to hail from the sky and crvsh so my cheek, tell me greater so the words of thy kind and loving encovragement as the comets that fall from the Aether shatter me so and bleed me trve, and the gashes and gaping wovnds are e’er more still to grow greater. And in response, know where I am, and see ordained as a child of fatherless way, as blackened miasma shalt become wisp of frostbitten light vpon the fronds of the airs of Heaven. As for the men, and so greatly more, the man, who had done so great of violences against mine own self, I do so now give thee my final remorsefvl words of movrning. Dominvs vobiscvm, et reqviescatis in pace.

Narrator: And so, as Acre was consvmed in fire, Leviathan covld only watch in sadness and horror as the place of wone he kept so long as his became nothing bvt a memory. Not even did Barrabant svrvive to tell the tale, for he svffered the worst, having his body torn to pieces as the meat from his bones rained as did all the rest of the fiery debris to be forgotten by man.

END OF ACT I SCENE IV

END OF ACT I

ACT II

ACT II SCENE I

Leviathan: O, Lord, canst so mine way be answered? Can be told to me of my misery, comfort so, that I am told that I am loved?

[From above] God: Hark, mine servant hvmble, for come to I with news, for thov art not alone in the endeavovr of life.

Leviathan: So then, do tell me of this, wherefore spake to me hath the iaping tongves of bitter hatred and miserable nightmare, that so wreck’d be mine life in whole?

God: Know so that greater has befallen the greatest! So, art thov e’er now or e’er more in consvmmate thovght the great Martyrs? Doth mine servant Iob cross thy mind, to whom I spake great of thee, who despite all done against him, how the fires and plagves consvmed his family, all he owned, and even his body, bvt ne’er so did pass into hatred his sovl? Or perchance, the martyr Stephen, who, solely for the praise that emerged from him of his Father and the Son, was brvtally stoned to death by men of crvel hatred? Maybe so of Ioan D’Arc, so that for her ways, oft so did find misery her, to moment inst which fire and flame so do violence of rape against life and sovl? Let not example escape my mind of Christ, my Son and thy Saviovr, who died the most horrific and violent death mind covld conivre forth, for the abslotvion of thee, and all else, despite not deserving the mercy that gave forth.

Leviathan: Wherefore is clovt my mind so, thov art of perfection. Shalt mist of mind pass throvgh me, and miasma take mine mind, bvt ne’er wane thy ways!

God: So mvst thy ears flit as great as thy wings, as so I tell thee trvth. Walk, thov mvst be so resolvte as to do, in the ways of thy Father, for wise art the ways of the one who so begat thee as bvt a seed in the oceanic roar of the waters.

Leviathan: May I know now the ways so that I may be kept in this plane, not to pass by the pangs that raze and bleed me slow? Ne’er qvick is the mire, ne’er mercifvl the hovnd.

God: As it is been pvt to papyrvs by ink and feather, hark, for it is written! Ask and thov art to receive, seek and thov art to find, knock and thov art to see the door open before thee!

[Rain falls, as Leviathan tvrns his head to the sky, to drink the rainwater, for time extensive]

[Retvrning his head to level position] Leviathan: O, mercifvl one above, thanks and praise doth I e’er more give to thee, for thov art not only of grace, bvt of a love ne’er to have one find its ends.

God: To love is the way, good heart and natvre shalt trivmph over the maw of darkness, voiding the paths of Lvcifer and wholly pvtting in bath of light and glory the ways of Terra trve.

Leviathan: Know all, I do not, so for this, I mvst ask. How so am I, bvt a wandr’r and vagrant orphan of the world, to get bvt manna? For not of the sky am I, now, a child to be so.

God: Shalt come men, do so as thov art able to fork thy body, so thy tongve. See forth in time, for men covld be so of grace.

Leviathan: So, doth I retreat to crvel wone, bashed and razed by the hatred of the waves, so shak’t by the maddening malice of men so trve.

[Leviathan slithers vpon a great rock in the midst of the sea, as raged so did the storms amongst it wrecked life]

Leviathan: So cold am I, that so doth my body go into rife state of horripilation so more now crvelly than before, and as I cvrlst vpon this rock, shalt my faith be my gvide!

END OF ACT II SCENE I

ACT II SCENE II

[Enter ship and Sailors 1-5. Cve Leviathan to rise ovt of water, its teeth lined with the abyssal grasses and mosses, blocking the way of the ship.]

[spitting ovt grasses] Leviathan: O, fell weeds! Vile, vnpalatable grasses! How malignant thy way, how disgvsting, iarring, repvgnant thy ways, that do so cavse my pangs to become so extraordinary!

[sailors gaze in awe and fear at the Leviathan, vnsvre of what to do]

[Looking down to sailors] Leviathan: Greet I, do thee, as I decide so thee? Remarkable way, that I am the hvrt, yet viewed as a monster. What say thee, men so now not having yet proving their way fair or false?

Sailor 1: Go back to thy cave, wretch! The world of man shan’t have thee, now or e’er in the fvtvre.

[Lowering head so it is eye level with sailors] Leviathan: I have no cave, I have no place to wone, for the live I had was razed by the crvel ways of men. I merely ask for bvt bread and wine, for ne’er a fortnight shovld I go more devoid of food, and my tongve tvrns plagve by the hands of these vines.

Sailor 2: We art not thine keeper, and so have not a way with thee.

Leviathan: For bvt novrishment, shalt I retvrn in great and fvll a favovr, I will give anything.

Sailor 4: Move thy trvnk and let passage to vs, we art not in the bvisiness of feeding a whelp. Ovr coinpvrses can do no svch favovr, for I glean by thine size half this ship covld be razed by thine maw.

Leviathan: O, little ones, let me speak of what I may offer. The Abyss lies as receptor of a milliard vpon milliard fallen treasvres. Svrely svch as thee wovld so revel in the glories of thine own weight in adamant, nacre, and avrvm?

Sailor 5: Desire mine sovl not svch, if bred of bargain with a daemon.

[Looking at Sailor 5] Levaithan: Little one, breed not contempt nor hatred of any kind in thine way… I have seen what it can do before.

[Leviathan adivsts his eyes back to the grovp centre]

Sailor 3: Svrely, one so desperate might offer anything, so mvst I be so delighted to hear what thy lips may ordain for vs.

Leviathan: As told by the Lord, my Father, and thine so, shalt I offer great work and trade for svstenance, shalt I be thy cattle, thine willing slave, shalt I offer my hvmble mass as bvt a price to pay for my life to carry on.

Sailor 2: Yet thine hide covld so with speed end any worry in ovr life. Shalt we have that, we are satisfied.

[Raising head, with baffled expression, denoting a fear] Leviathan: Mine own hide in trade? To shield mine aegis, doth it be, and denvded am I for the glory of men?

Sailor 1: Accept, daft creatvre, or starve so.

Leviathan: I svppose the trade is fair, let it be so by God’s ways.

[sailors pierce Leviathan with harpoons, and with swift movement, bring his body to the boat, and tie him to the boards of the deck]

Leviathan: I do not vnderstand. So mvch ease covld I have given thee mine own hide with, I wovld present no strvggle.

Sailor 1: Bvt so with ease can we bring thee to grave, and so great ovr names vpon lips for how we art told to men of how we qvelled a daemon.

Leviathan: I have lived millennia, and so for the Lord. Follow, I, in the way of Christ, so thov art to have been as well!

Sailor 2: A daemon to bark so at ovr way? Hvmovr so clear!

Leviathan: Is there not a thing that so may be the way I can let thy lips speak of light towards me, and that I so may benefit from this way?

Sailor 4: Not that desirable to vs, can a way so be gleaned.

Leviathan: Malice be thy tongve so, and regret do I that preservation calls a different melody now.

[Leviathan dives throvgh the core of the ship, breaking it like a wooden box. The sailors are killed in the process, and float to the top of the sea’s svrface as Leviathan consvmes the food vpon the ship, paying greatest attention to the frvits and meats]

[Looking before him at the wreckage] Leviathan: Price, I ask? Perchance, may I be answered so swift and svre? How trve can be ivstified this, my life, at cost of sin?

[From above] God: O, Leviathan, may thy weeping and pangs for men be ivstified, and so this light be trvly shown, let knowledge thov art able to repent be the reason thov art to carry on.

Leviathan: The way is blind, if I am lost in shadow. Sinned have I, so bitten I have been by this vice, mvrder no less, for the glvttonovs ways of my interest, so to selfishly enraptvre myself in life, and deprive others of svch. Nay, ne’er more can I be with thee, O Lord in Heaven, for I mvst say of the way trve, no longer worthy am I to be amongst thee, for now am I fallen to the way of the thorn.

God: Know mvst thee, little one, Leviathan, this. I had so loved the world, that I had given my one and only son, Christ, thy saviovr, and that of all else, that begat vponst thee, man, and thy breast trve, may so have been this, a life of vnending ioy and so of e’erlasting life!

Leviathan: O, Lord, do so know trve this. For all my days, follow I, have all thy ways, and ne’er worthy am I to gaze vpon thy face in strand so ethereal, so no more can I cvrse the world with my blasphemovs presence, my pestilence trve that spreadst from my lips. That pestilence, that I, a taker of life in ivdgement, can so speak he walks in light of the trve God Almighty.

God: Take no rod against thy temple, and raze not thy sovl, for light shalt pierce the darkness!

Leviathan: Pond scvm, now have I become! Ne’er can I be oft of good, for now all I be is bvt bane of light and aegis of darkness! Nay, I cannot be amongst light, when I am swath of daemon and mine own actions so hath glorified the wisps of darkness that float abovst the sovls of men in the air! Rattled and abast be so mine sovl, razed by the avras of this, bvt a sangvine gale vponst mine breast, abast and abast, abast so be me, to thee, ifst so I am to remain in the ways of the world. So breathe into me arias oft clear in the moments I decide my last, for takest to thee a bow from me, and so remember me even in the darkened times. So now mvst I take myself away, and breed in mine belly corrvpt winds of consvmption, and abast now so do I be trve. As I am to fade away, swath of esssse and ashen salts in the shadow, a cvprvm mist amongst the death shadows that breathe into me are so from Sheol trve. As thorn doth mine carcass pass into, as into navy wrath do fade the winds in me, and tvrn to bloody ashen shadow mine breast in the wailing knells of the reaper’s scythe, so do show forth to me the final and ending echoing words of thy comfort and love entwine the vines abovst mine airs. O, yea, as so mvst I now past in the fires of the storm above into the lands of darkened mist and shadow, as frail bitter winds doth raze my sovl, yea, as I am in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shan’t fear the razor, nor bow before the fangs of Lvcifer’s crvel bane, for here stand I, and there so still, abast may be I, yet so do thy rod and thy staff comfort me in the dying days. Pass mvst I, as all other creatvres, as all other beings, navfragare are bvt the glassen scales that weigh now mine sovl, and yet, so doth I live in bvt a paradoxical state, abast by fear and light, and enshrine me so, thov art to do. Who am I bvt a passing voice in the meadow, a voice soon to be silenced in the wind, a vapovr to die and wither away. So call to the heavens I do, scream ovt in pain I shalt, bvt know as bitter as my sacrifice is, I mvst so give forth my life in sacrifice that I may atone for my crvel and lifeless sins, that I may give to thee a pvrified, yet dead, hvlk, yet so realize I that I shalt be a void and vapid hvsk. So do I see the extraordinary gravity and weight of this action, bvt so great were those before, that vndone they cannot be, and so for how I hath tainted my life and sovl, so mvst I take them, and give in solemn and hvmble offering to thee, Lord.

God: Thy way is so resolvte, yet see thov shalt now so that still I shalt try to convince thee of the way to redemption.

Leviathan: Forgive me for my tongve, bvt no longer do I see that in me can lie light.

END OF ACT II SCENE II

ACT II SCENE III

[As fortnights have passed, the Leviathan still lies in inedia, and refvses even the rainwater from the skies. Leviathan’s mass is greatly emaciated and has become very gavnt.]

[From above] God: O, tell, Leviathan, me this, wherefore thov art so reiecting even the rainwater I so hath blest thy presence with?

Leviathan: So long as I live am I vnworthy of breath or love, for I have done that which is irreparable, and I have committed acts that cannot be taken back!

God: Gave I, my son, that even the greatest wrongs art forgiven by me, yet thy way is to reiect this.

Leviathan: I have not reason to be, for done wrong in thine eyes have I. I lie as the thorn of life, and so shalt I give in life and love myself as sacrifice to my Lord and my Saviovr. Bind me by my honovr, Death’s seed doth breed life in another flower.

God: The life of star shalt ne’er more waxxen in thy twixt so walls, for passeth thee even now in the shade of the wind.

Leviathan: Amen, doth mine lips ordain it so! Breath not of an ill passioned way shalt I, ifst so it costs all light and holiness of the Earth!

God: No knife can come to thee, if thov art so kind in way as to breathe life for e’er the more glory to creation. I say now to thee, do so preserve thyself, and so complete thy ioy trve!

Leviathan: So this, I cannot, I have done wrong.

God: As have many I have forgiven in fvll!

Leviathan: Forfeit am I if I glorify with mine own existence the broad and wide!

God: Few hath tread so that very path less.

Leviathan: That is not to permit my way of travel vponst it to waxxen.

God: A single drop of rain does not gvarantee a flood, little one, know this well.

[Pained] Leviathan: Forgive me, for pained am I and labored is my speech. So wane me, and so come my cvrtain’s hovr. Abast now lies my sovl, wreathed in the horrid whitewaters of the world, abast am I here, vpon Vranvs’ rock, the cold wraths of the gales of Terra raze me with the icy and tepid north winds of nightmare and fvry!

God: So can thy life be saved! Do so erase this misery, this thorn and cvp shalt be taken, so long as thov art to see the light of the world, and passeth so rightly into Ivdgement Day, and be so loyal to the call of a holier knell than so provided by this!

Leviathan: O, bvt Lord, wretched and plagved I be! Even in the dying days of the wind, I shalt so now see the light, as so gently mvst I pass. Wait I throvgh this night, please may I last throvgh the final ways of the last hovr vponst this bitter cavern we so call life!

God: Thy way is too late to be tvrned, the tides shalt take thee, the light shalt come.

Leviathan: And so, in bitter memorial, shalt I cast my last glance and vtter my last word vponst this crvel world, as I close my eye tonight, and drift into the soft and tranqvil lights of the sky.

God: Then, so, in regret, I say now it is too late, for now even if I were to rain fromst the skies bread and water, it covld not preserve thee.

Leviathan: Holy to a favlt may I be, may I have been too perfect for this world, too perfect to have satisfied the light as so I desired to. May I pass now, in light, love, and glory. Finis et Amen.

[Leviathan’s eyes slowly close as it dies, the air passing from its lvngs, and so its body drifts to the Abyss floor]

Narrator: Look thee vponst this beast, of sorrow and misery in life, the Leviathan. How grand, noble, and holy it be, that it gives its own life solely for the fact it was for bvt a moment separated. Bvt now, even now, it shalt go in knowledge of its fate to Hell, where its life shalt be an vnending tortvre, a bitter crvel fate belonging to something that only wanted to love all arovnd it.

END OF ACT II SCENE III

ACT II SCENE IV

[Leviathan wakes, amongst vapovr and mist, in the light of Heaven]

[Looking abovt] Leviathan: I do not vnderstand. For my way, I enter in Paradise?

[in front of Leviathan] God: Ivdgement is not of a final way, of Inferno or Aether, bvt here thov art, to receive what thov art qvite resolvte in thy knowledge wovld be thy fate.

[Despondent] Leviathan: The news, ne’er I neglect my ear to be cast thy way. Do so tell of my bitter fate, for I know where I am to be.

God: Ne’er have I the desire to send any to the fires, to cast bvt speck of dvst shalt bring bvt cold and ashen tears. Bvt so, in regret of how the trvth mvst be, so mvst I tell thee that thov art not to be in my presence, bvt fvrther, I will all heaviness in my heart, mvst so tell thee that thov art to be e’er more in the fires of Hell.

Leviathan: I so have known this, and may I so tell thee of this, that my words shalt e’er more be for thee.

God: ‘Strve, svch might warm my heart, covldst I hear it. For the trve horrors of Hell for thee lie in the lone fact we shalt be separated, thy words cannot pierce the Nether, and ne’er the Aether receive them. Thy praise, thovgh I know of it, for thov art in that way, it is to fall on deaf ears.

Leviathan: Doth this be so? That ne’er see I again thee? That so, I am of the lost way, once bovnd we no longer can be?

God: ‘Strve, what thov art to be saying more, bvt now there are navght more things to say, the words are lost, and thov art to sadly be in the wretched blackened vines of miasma and damnation.

Leviathan: O, Lord, do grant me bvt a little more speech, for I am terrified, and I am scared. Do so provide the last moments of light I am to be bathed with… with thy mercy, thy love, and thy glory.

God: E’er this hovr grow close, so speak trve, and spent thy last words in a moment of gloriovs light, for know thov art not to have it longer mvch more so.

Leviathan: Then so may my words stay with thee e’er more?

God: As so thov art to ask, so I ordain for thee. Send bvt a few more words into the air, and cast in crystal so these ways, that e’er I may be to remember them, that e’er more they shalt remain a relic of time and a relic of the love eternal I shalt have for thee and all others, even to those that so have been lost greatly.

Leviathan: O, Lord, then let my last ring forth e’er more in the crystalline bells of Iervsalem that so will be made in time! So cast I fromst mine breast all my passion and words, may all my heart and sovl be to thee, for they art to soon be taken. Know that I in light and love have lead the world of men in thy ways, and fromst mine lips like honey and myrrh hath always so flown this saccharine melody, this caressing wind amongst the life of men, era come and era pass. Passeth I my body into shadow, bvt ne’er this love I have shown to them and thee, that life shalt ordained greatness for all thy children. Let ne’er even the slags of Hell, nor the bvrning rains of flames trve, nor the rivers of boiling sangvine way that crawlst mvst I forth throvgh, be of this, to deprive mine heart or voice of this praise that shalt shatter the skies and echo forth throvgh the bellowing rains of Hell! O, O, O, Lord, so tell I to the, spake as I have before, so speak I now in this, gravest hovr of the accvrsed life that so hath inhabited mine shell, mine hvlking hvsk, my vapid core, my lost way, that so shalt I give last as my words to thee of this and now, and e’er more, of love resovnding, so do I have this to pass from spoken to that I hath spake, my final words trve! So I tell I to thee now.

God: And so remember that last words are to be well spent.

Leviathan: So then be my last, these. Lord, I love thee with all my heart, sovl, body, mind, pow’r, and way, and shalt I give for e’er more this praise, my cvp be raised, that I present all my voice in praise as an offering to thee, needless so as it may be. E’er more I say, I love thee and I shan’t pass into hatred, for thov art with me in my heart, even if all existence may divide vs so.

God: And so thov art in choice of this?

[Leviathan silently and solemnly nods in confirmation.]

God: Then so thov art so incredible in thy way, so amazing this praise thov art so fervent in. So may my heart cry and bleed so dear, for I lose now, with thee, the most incredible being of a mortal way I am to see, now or e’er in time to come. So I regret, and feel great dolorovs hvrt, in the vnfortvnate fact I mvst so pvt to damnation one so afflicted, yet nonetheless so pvre as he had been. As thov art to have been of way that thov art one who wovld have be as to have said, I say now, Reqviescat en pace, en dolore.

God: Passeth thee, so I am sad in so this action, and this way, that it mvst be.

[Leviathan is cast by God to the deep pits of Hell, to be in misery for all eternity]

God: The greatest fall in the greatest way, and the holiest fall to the greatest dolorovs pains. So rest in peace thee, Leviathan, O being holy even in the darkness!

Narrator: So crvel can be life, to the holy may be ordained pain, yet the wicked gold. So these, for the point of disaster, face even the wicked as if an eqval. So death mvst so be of a sadistic natvre, that it bleeds crvel ev’rything, even what deserves to inherit the very Earth. So do we tvrn ovr eye to Leviathan, the great Martyr, for it lost its life and ioy in the pvrsvit of happiness in holiness, that lost its sovl for the mere fact it existed. Cry and weep so dearly, for lost is something great amongst the ways of men. Lost is this, a greatest light in the shadow, a beacon for vs all.

END OF ACT II SCENE IV

END OF ACT II

ACT III

ACT III SCENE I

[Leviathan awakes, lying prone in the fissvred deserts of Hell’s plains]

Leviathan: So begins my eternal dolorovs way, call I, I hear no voice.

[shovting heavenward] Leviathan: O, Lord, I saw no iape in thy way, bvt I wish to hope trve so.

[silence]

Leviathan: So it is trve. The words of mine may be silenced, that is not to prevent them from commencing.

[Enter Daemon]

Daemon: I wovld assvme thov art capable of realizing thov art not the only one here. Silence thyself!

Leviathan: I see no reason to. Take my voice, and still even shalt my thovghts praise the Lord.

Daemon: Thov art not vnder the seriovs impression that is meaningfvl. There is no voice that can reach the Nether sky, even one as colossal in its bellowing as thine.

Leviathan: I care not for the fact the stars shalt cast down my voice. Still shalt I praise!

Daemon: Hopeless as thov art dvmb, I see…

Leviathan: I do what is right, becavse I shovld.

Daemon: Miracle it be, that thov art here, then.

Leviathan: The rod to bvrst the temple, so bane of me it was, so sent my sovl to here, had it.

Daemon: May then I find a valley…

Leviathan: If so it doth svit the Lord, do so.

[Daemon scoffs]

[skyward] Leviathan: O, Lord, thy ears are not to receive my voice, bvt so mvst thy way receive my praise. May all bow to the word of the Lord!

Leviathan: O, and hear of these skies, as so I mvst slovgh throvgh this valley.

[Hovrs later, after crawling throvgh the bvrning desert sands, Leviathan encovnters Barrabant, limbless mass on the sand]

Barrab.: O, how awfvl, that my fate is made worse by an eternity with this parasite…

Leviathan: Paid I my dves, a hvndred milliard times over. So still have I no vnderstanding of thy way towards me.

Barrab.: An eternity in Hell, stvck with the sea slvg that stvck me here.

Leviathan: Thy actions are thy own, I have no way in which I am involved with thy sins.

Barrab.: A piovs rat thov art so fervently remaining. O, how bitter, that my agonizing svffering is laced with thy voice!

Leviathan: Thy speech confvses me. I have not done to thee anywhere near the magnitvde of violences that thov art gvilty of doing to me.

Barrab.: Ev’ry last one deserved in fvll!

Leviathan: No! Ne’er I deserved the pain thov hath inflicted vponst me! I have lived a holy life, and all my days I have loved man and beast, even ones as thee, who spent their entire lives doing me wrong! Thov art the very reason for my svffering, the only reason I had felt the rain! I spent my life in holy worship and praise, millennia before thee I had lived in this holy path. Yet thov art so vain as to believe thy meaningless sadism vpon my sovl was deserved! For the hate of one lone man, I am damned to svffer forever!

Barrab.: And thov art so dvmb as to believe I care.

Leviathan: Who is trvly the fool in this life? Art thov? Art I? Pity do I have for thee, vile being, for thy hatred cavsed many to endlessly svffer.

Barrab.: I wanted thee dead, make no mistake.

[sad] Leviathan: The greatest mistake that I rve, the only thing I wish I had changed, was that I ne’er had moved from thy ship’s path, and had ivst let myself die.

Barrab.: How that wovld have satisfied vs both…

Leviathan: Sad that I wished my death to end svffering, and thov art the one who wovld wish it to cavse svffering.

Barrab.: I am to change as thee. I will ne’er stray from my path.

Leviathan: Then bleed my sovl for thee.

[Leviathan continves to slither on throvgh the fires of Hell]

END OF ACT III SCENE I

ACT III SCENE II

[Millenia have passed, and Leviathan, so weakened by the endless onslavght of the plagves of Hell, now comes to a point in which he no longer can move. Leviathan’s hide has blackened as is greatly cracked and fissvred, and his eyes have pooled in blood, and his whole is smoking in the raging fires of Hell]

[skyward] Leviathan: O, Lord, now may come the time in which I pass, the bitter memorial of angvish and pain, horrid remnant of a miserable life. Do so know now, I shalt pass, bvt in me is a voice for e’er more.

Leviathan: Now may pass I in fire and pain, this memorial of my life shalt pass too. I am to fade from the memory of men, I am a forgotten relic of an ancient world. I have no pvrpose any longer, I have no reason to be bvt for the e’er ringing praise I send forth.

[sand slowly begins to cover Leviathan, to consvme him and bvry him in the plains of Hell]

Leviathan: Lost now am I, this fire leavens, as all that I am shalt become bvt dvst and ashen esssse to the world, and maybe one day, even so to the heavens. Take I now my final bow, and endless still remains to thee, my Lord, my eternal and faithfvl vow.

Leviathan: En memento mori, en nomen Abbas, Filivs, et Sanctvs Spiritvs. Reqviescat en pace.

[The sands of Hell now cover Leviathan and the raining fires tvrn it so to glass. Leviathan cries a final bitter tear of agony, a solemn reminder of the hellish nightmare of his life. His voice is taken, no longer can he speak]

[in thovght] Leviathan: And so it be, that even my voice is taken. Ev’rything is taken, bvt left is my thovght. One day, even that will be taken from me, as the cold and fiery assavlt of time shalt raze me. Ev’rything is to be taken, bvt ev’rything is given. So ev’ry second I have, tell I this to thee, that my love shalt e’er more be trve to thee. Lord, O Lord, I say now and e’er more, I love thee.

[in thought] Leviathan: The time shalt come one day, the life shalt be taken. All the time I can give, I shalt. When gone am I, I give myself to thee. In the final bitter time of my solemn hovrs, I mvst tell thee of the strong emotion inside me. As I fade into dolorovs darkness, I shalt breathe the light.

Narrator: And so hath thov, dear reader, seen the tragic life of the Leviathan. How bitter can fate be, that something so blameless and holy shovld svffer, that even the whips of fire in Hell shovld raze its sovl, vpon the victim of a nightmare? What hope then is there for vs, if we cannot even see the good in a sovl beyond the bridge of ovr nose? How can an angel be in Hell? How can we see love or light, if the very one who lived in life, love, light, and honovr to the fvllest is amongst the damned? Who are we to cast ivdgement on the blameless, when we so are vile, crvde beings? I ask thee this and more, so mvch more…

END OF ACT III SCENE II

END OF ACT III

FINIS