Mod update procedure question

Phoenixn

Being relatively new to Elder Scrolls modding, I wonder what the best method is to update mod plugins (for mod authors)?

Several problems can occur if I change the name of the plugin (e.g. from mymod_v1 to mymod_v2):

1. Player is now running both versions (mymod_v1 and mymod_v2) and object are superimposed (doubled) in the game.

2. If mymod_v1 is unchecked and mymod_v2 is checked, then Skyrim thinks the old mod is no longer used and the player will loose everything they had in that mod (e.g. house items)

From what I've experienced, the best way is to:

- Prior to applying the updated, go into the game and make sure you get all your items out any containers/house and dump it on the ground outside someplace.

- Save the game.

- Uncheck the mod and load the game just saved (ignore warnings)

- Save the game

- Apply the update and load the game

- Pick all your stuff off the ground and move it back into the mod containers, house or whatever.

It seems we have to keep the same mod filename (cannot change to reflect versions) forever. This means there is no way to indicate which mod version the player has on their computer other than readme files all over the place.

Even if we keep the same plugin filename, the game will still complain if it detects any changes.

This is compounded on the Steam Workshop, because updates happen automatically and the player is not aware until he looses all his stuff or some other problem arises.

Please forgive my ignorance, but Is there a cleaner solution I'm missing?

Thanks