Skyrim crashes on loading screen

diaphantos

So, annoying problem here. I've recently had to re-install Skyrim, and when I tried to start a new game, the game got stuck on the initial loading screen with the Skyrim symbol and fog. I managed to fix the problem by deleting my old save files and .ini files. Now, I can get to the standard loading screen, with your level, a picture, and a tip, but the game crashes at that point.

I have installed quite a lot of mods, but I don't think it's caused by any of them, because the symptoms are different than the kind of crash you get from mod conflicts. Mod conflicts will cause a crash right after the Bethesda Logo, without even getting to the start screen. I can get a bit further than that, so it's probably something else. However, it is worth noting that deactivating all my mods allows the game to function normally.

My problems sound very similar to what happens to people when they're save game becomes corrupt, in which case a previous save should be loaded. However, in their case, they simply can't load their most recent save file, whereas I am unable to start a new game.

Your help is appreciated.

Same issue here diaphantos, game crashing on loading screen after trying to load a save game even without any mods. Was working fine the day before for me but then I installed a hair mod, changed my hair in game, then decided I didnt like it and removed the mod without changing my hair back to vanilla and now my game crashes even when I put the mod back on. I didnt install the new update until after I was having these issues in an attempt to fix it. Perhaps if you update it may fix your issue, but skse wont work yet till its updated. Edited by xphenom

Same issue here diaphantos, game crashing on loading screen after trying to load a save game even without any mods. Was working fine the day before for me but then I installed a hair mod, changed my hair in game, then decided I didnt like it and removed the mod without changing my hair back to vanilla and now my game crashes even when I put the mod back on. I didnt install the new update until after I was having these issues in an attempt to fix it. Perhaps if you update it may fix your issue, but skse wont work yet till its updated.

Make sure any mods that require strings have them. If that helps.

Same issue here diaphantos, game crashing on loading screen after trying to load a save game even without any mods. Was working fine the day before for me but then I installed a hair mod, changed my hair in game, then decided I didnt like it and removed the mod without changing my hair back to vanilla and now my game crashes even when I put the mod back on. I didnt install the new update until after I was having these issues in an attempt to fix it. Perhaps if you update it may fix your issue, but skse wont work yet till its updated.

Make sure any mods that require strings have them. If that helps.

Thx for the advise, I just deleted everything and started from scratch without the new update and now everything works. Sure was a pain to fix tho!

• 2 months later...
I've been having the same problems, it was fine one moment then it would not load initially. the thing was that i could start a new character and that would work fine, but my original guy wouldn't. so i assumed that my save just corrupted, so i started a new one with little problems. guess we just got unlucky