Having CTD Entering Whiterun

chaotix000

Every time i try to enter Whiterun the game crashes to desktop during the loading screen. It's been driving me insane as I can't continue my game. I even uninstalled and reinstalled and started a new game. I've been turning mods on and off to try to find the culprit and now I'm down to ones I know should have no effect on Whiterun. Also I don't know if this would make a difference but I have a few mods that I'm subscribed to on the Steam workshop. I just don't get it.

I've got:

Windows 7 64 Bit

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 2GB

4GB of RAM (3.12 usable due to a crappy MoBo)

Pentium 4 3 Ghtz Processor

My Mods (X=on S=subscribed):

X - 4xskillgain

- Alternate_Armor_Appearance_v1.20

- Amulet of the Nine (S)

X - Arrows Stick

X - BagofTrash

- Bigger Giants (S)

- Bigger Mammoths (S)

X - BlackSacramentArmor

X - BookOfConsole

- Cat_mount

- Crafting300

X - dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects

X - dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic

- DpArmor

- Dragonbone Weapons

X - DragonBoneWeaponsPack01_v01.00

- Totally Playable Dremora Race: EN (S)

X - Enchanting Freedom (S)

- Halo Energy Sword (S)

- The Lost Races of Tamriel: Mer (S)

- FF7 Bustersword

- Gearblades (S)

X - Hideout

- Improved Quest Books (S)

- JSwords

X - Killerkeo's Skimpy Armor Pack Wip (S)

- LegendarySmithing Upgrades

X - Lost Art of the Blacksmith

X - JumpingHigh (S)

- Masamune

X - MidasSkyrim

X - More Decaps (S)

- Overlook Tower - BASEv1

- Overlook Tower v1.5beta

X - SkyUI (S)

- Smithing Extended (S)

X - Thu'um Infinium (S)

X - Tytanis

X - Unread Books Glow (S)

Also some texture mods like CBBE Slim and others I'm not too sure about in there.

i have the same issue. i though maybe it was a mod issues, so i deleted and restored the files for any mods on you list that i had installed as well. didn't fix it. will probably have to do a re install. going to try a new cha and see if the same issue continues. ill wright again if i learn anything.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I couldn't enter Whiterun either, until I removed my texture folder. I don't know, maybe it had to do with the number of NPCs in Whiterun, and the huge 4096x skin textures that had to load.

edit: It was exactly the 4096 size textures. I cut them down to 2048 and then I could get into Whiterun

Edited by shonuv

• 3 weeks later...

Try to enter in windowed mode. I had a similar problem and couldn't even load Whiterun saves. It wouldn't crash but it would keep loading forever....!!!

Try this if you are using a quad core, if not, disregard this method.

I came across a fix for my game, I have a quad core and game was using all cores. now I have the game using only 2 cores, it loads any save 98% of times, and can finally enter and walk around Whiterun. It hasn't been always like this, my first 2-3 months of skyrim were played with all cores enabled. I've played my last 3 hours of Skyrim without a single crash. There's 2 ways to set core afiinity.

1st - Launch Skyrim via launcher or exe (doesn't matter which), when on main screen ( load, start etc) Ctr-Alt-Del -» Task Manager -- » and go to processes. Once there choose TESV.exe and right-click. Scroll down and you will see AFFINITY, click it and you will see all cores checked. Uncheck all of them and check core 0 and 2 only. Close Task Manager and load your savegame. This little trick does a miracle for my savefiles and loading screens and also being able to enter Whiterun as many times as I wish or need to.

2nd - Add this line to your exe target path before the "C..... like this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files (x86).....