F4 General Settings Help + enblocal.ini/shadowboost.ini

nastrogogi

Hi!

I looked a lot of guides on youtube but cant get game work properly.

I have good computer specs but everywhere in game stutter and huge fps drops. Literally from 60 to 20 fps.

I want to ask help with settings on launcher/Bilago tool and enblocal.ini with shadowboost.ini

If anyone can, plz give some advices in simple form or/and post your sample setups. Very bad in english, sry for this.

Will be much appreciate for your help and support!

My Specs:

Intel Core i7 - 6800K

32Gb DDR4 2133MHz Crucial (4x8Gb KIT)

GeForce GTX1070 Gigabyte WindForce 3X PCI-E 8192Mb

You should be getting good rates on that hardware at Ultra however I would advise to turn God rays off and lower shadow distance to 6000. Ultra is like 20000 for shadows and it crippling. For shadow boost I would use 3000 Min and 6000 Max. I cannot advise you to use ENBoost because it does not work properly for me on any settings, some users this will fix Lod issues etc but unfortunately not for me so can't comment on it.

You should be getting good rates on that hardware at Ultra however I would advise to turn God rays off and lower shadow distance to 6000. Ultra is like 20000 for shadows and it crippling. For shadow boost I would use 3000 Min and 6000 Max. I cannot advise you to use ENBoost because it does not work properly for me on any settings, some users this will fix Lod issues etc but unfortunately not for me so can't comment on it.

Thx for advices. Your help useful =) Do you use Bilago tool?

No I edit my INI files directly :wink:

What ini files you edit exactly?

Do you know some ini guides for novice?

I don't know any guides that are good, a lot of them tell lies and tell you to edit unsafe settings.

The INI are located in My Documents/My games/Fallout 4 folder, you've got Fallout.ini, FalloutPrefs.ini and FalloutCustom.ini.

Most edits are just placed in FalloutCustom.ini but it's all the same if you do them in the others as well, they already have most of them.

I will make a list for you when I am at my PC

No I edit my INI files directly :wink:

What ini files you edit exactly?

Do you know some ini guides for novice?

I don't know any guides that are good, a lot of them tell lies and tell you to edit unsafe settings.

The INI are located in My Documents/My games/Fallout 4 folder, you've got Fallout.ini, FalloutPrefs.ini and FalloutCustom.ini.

Most edits are just placed in FalloutCustom.ini but it's all the same if you do them in the others as well, they already have most of them.

I will make a list for you when I am at my PC

WoW!!! If its not hard for you, I will appreciate.

Here is some settings for you.

These one is added to FalloutCustom.ini

[General] (this is the header, it is not a setting, FalloutCustom.ini has no headers so when adding settings to it you need to put appropriate heading to put setting under)
SStartingConsoleCommand = cl off (this is same as DisableFakeLights in ENB Fix)
bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0 (These 5 settings are for helping with objects not loading in full details. For more info, Google search "Fallout 4 Texture Load Workaround")
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=4096
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=2048
iTextureDegradeDistance1=5120
iTextureDegradeDistance0=3172
[Archive] (THis goes in FalloutCUstom.ini. This is essential for loading custom assets from Mods. Without this, no mods show up properly. You must have this)
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

(These Setting are under FalloutPrefs.ini "Display" section. These are the one worth talking about)

[Display]

fDirShadowDistance=6000.0000 (This is the main shadows settings. Do not be fooled by others. See mine is 6000 even with high power rig)

iShadowMapResolution=4096 (You can set this to 2048 to make shadow resolution even more performance friendly, but shadows will be less sharp)

bSAOEnable=1 (this is for enabling Ambient Occlusion)
bEnableWetnessMaterials=1 (This is for Wetness effect)
iVolumetricLightingQuality=3 (This is Godrays. Set the next one to 0 to turn off. When the top one is less than 3, you get those pixels/blocks all around your character. Best to turn them off, they ugly and performance hungry)
bVolumetricLightingEnable=0
fBlendSplitDirShadow=400.0000 (This is the mystical setting that controls how close you see really detailed shadows. I recommend setting between 400-500. IF you see shadow pop in up close, make it higher)
fMaxFocusShadowMapDistance=450.0000 (Pretty sure this is related to one above. I usually have same amount)
sAntiAliasing=TAA (This is Fallout 4 AA. Use FXAA or TAA. Best to leave at TAA for less jaggies)
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=5000.0000 (Once again this setting is for helping with LOD/low res objects problem. These are good settings at this value)
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000.0000
iPresentInterval=1 (This is Fallouts Vsync. It sets your framerate to half you display frequency i.e 60hz/120hz. I have 120Hz monitor so I turn this on. IF you have other refresh rate like 144 etc, you can use Nvidias vysync or some frame limiter)
bMaximizeWindow=0 (these are other settings related to WIndow and Vsync etc)
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25 (THis is max decals. Can have performance effect at high number, I use this amount)
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
iTexMipMapSkip=0 (this is for Texture quality. 0 is Ultra. 1 is high etc etc)
(This is for subtitles in FalloutPrefs)
[interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
[imagespace] (this is for games DOF setting, under this header)
bDoDepthOfField=1
bScreenSpaceBokeh=1
bLensFlare=1 (this one for LensFlare effect)
(This setting is found in FalloutPrefs.ini and Fallout.ini. NEVER EDIT IT. IT will load only in odd number i.e 5,7,9. That is amount of cells around the player outdoors. Can destroy your performance. IF you set this higher than 5, and you save the game, you cannot set it back to a lower number)
[General]
uGridsToLoad=5
(This is under FalloutPrefs.ini. This is game difficulty. 6 is Survival, less is other modes)
[GamePlay]
iDifficulty=6
(these are in FalloutPrefs. These are important for long distance rendering. This is the Ultra setting)
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel2Distance=100000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=80000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=50000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000 (This one is particularly for scaling the distance. Setting it to 2 may increase LOD distance)
(This is in FalloutPrefs. These are grass distance. Good enough on vanilla setting to me, but can affect performance)
[Grass]
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7850.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=400.0000
(There is also a Decals section in FalloutPrefs. Can have affect on performance at high numbers. These are good enough)
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=40
(This is NV HBAO. Turn it on from here. OTher settings are for advanced users. This is in FalloutPrefs.)
[NVHBAO]
bEnable=1
(this is for NV Flex, the particle system when you shoot walls etc and debris comes out. In FalloutPrefs. This can have big effect on performance with high amount of debris/particles)
[NVFlex]
bNVFlexEnable=1
iQuality=2
(Personally I think there is a bug in this system, where it is possible to make framerate crawl at 1fps or less with melee weapons when hitting something. IT is rare bug but I am sure it is caused by this system.)

Now lets look at some settings in Fallout.Ini, these are more generalized. You might see some the same as FalloutPrefs, make sure they are the same or FalloutPrefs will override most of the time

[General]

bUseCombinedObjects=1 (turning this to 0 disables Precombined meshes in game and destroysd performance. USe this if you want to see new tress and things or scrap everything, but say goodbye to framerate)

uExterior Cell Buffer=49 ( iset this to 49 purposely so that the outer cells from the the normal uGridstoLoad 5 would be loader faster, as they are buffered but not loaded. Try for yourself)

iNumHWThreads=7 (this is how many CPU cores you have. Always set -1. So for you have 6 cores with hyperthreading, you have 12 logical cores. Set this to 11)

[Display]

iPresentInterval=1 (Another Vsync, FalloutPrefs overrides)
bDeferredCommands=1 (leave me alone)
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=2000.0 (these are for distance details of Shadow and Specular. These are good values from vanilla)
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=4000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=8192.0 (Distance of lights. Important setting. 8192 is best IMO)
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096 (Same as FalloutPRefs, set this as well if changing to 2048)
bAllowScreenshot=0 (Allow press PRtScn to take screeny)
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=3500.0000 (this is for distant detail on meshes. Same as FalloutPRefs but FalloutPrefs overrides it)
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=2000.0000
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
bNvGodraysEnable=0 (this doesnt seem to do anything. I can turn them back on from FalloutPrefs even if this is 0)
bDynamicObjectQueryManager=1 (wondering if this is to do with Previs. Leave me alone)
bMultiThreadedAccumulation=1 (leave me alone, I'm for multithreading stuff)
bMultiThreadedRenderingUNP=1
fDefaultWorldFOV=80 (FOV settings. Its not quite this simple though, ther ei s some otehr fix you have to apply from console but I cant remember. Probably leave these alone)
fDefault1stPersonFOV=80
fSunUpdateThreshold:Display=0.5f (These 2 control how fast the sun updates, the shadows that is. You see them move a lot)
fSunShadowUpdateTime=1.0
[Grass] (More grass settings)
iMinGrassSize=20 (This one has performance impact at LOWER settings. Its for grass density. I think they reworked it for this game so value different from Skyrim, or maybe its just different grass thats less expansive. 20 seems fine)
bAllowCreateGrass=1
That is about all that should matter for you. Possibly more than you needed to know lol :)

Here is some settings for you.

These one is added to FalloutCustom.ini

[General] (this is the header, it is not a setting, FalloutCustom.ini has no headers so when adding settings to it you need to put appropriate heading to put setting under)
SStartingConsoleCommand = cl off (this is same as DisableFakeLights in ENB Fix)
bForceUpdateDiffuseOnly=0 (These 5 settings are for helping with objects not loading in full details. For more info, Google search "Fallout 4 Texture Load Workaround")
iTextureUpgradeDistance1=4096
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=2048
iTextureDegradeDistance1=5120
iTextureDegradeDistance0=3172
[Archive] (THis goes in FalloutCUstom.ini. This is essential for loading custom assets from Mods. Without this, no mods show up properly. You must have this)
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

(These Setting are under FalloutPrefs.ini "Display" section. These are the one worth talking about)

[Display]

fDirShadowDistance=6000.0000 (This is the main shadows settings. Do not be fooled by others. See mine is 6000 even with high power rig)

iShadowMapResolution=4096 (You can set this to 2048 to make shadow resolution even more performance friendly, but shadows will be less sharp)

bSAOEnable=1 (this is for enabling Ambient Occlusion)
bEnableWetnessMaterials=1 (This is for Wetness effect)
iVolumetricLightingQuality=3 (This is Godrays. Set the next one to 0 to turn off. When the top one is less than 3, you get those pixels/blocks all around your character. Best to turn them off, they ugly and performance hungry)
bVolumetricLightingEnable=0
fBlendSplitDirShadow=400.0000 (This is the mystical setting that controls how close you see really detailed shadows. I recommend setting between 400-500. IF you see shadow pop in up close, make it higher)
fMaxFocusShadowMapDistance=450.0000 (Pretty sure this is related to one above. I usually have same amount)
sAntiAliasing=TAA (This is Fallout 4 AA. Use FXAA or TAA. Best to leave at TAA for less jaggies)
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=5000.0000 (Once again this setting is for helping with LOD/low res objects problem. These are good settings at this value)
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000.0000
iPresentInterval=1 (This is Fallouts Vsync. It sets your framerate to half you display frequency i.e 60hz/120hz. I have 120Hz monitor so I turn this on. IF you have other refresh rate like 144 etc, you can use Nvidias vysync or some frame limiter)
bMaximizeWindow=0 (these are other settings related to WIndow and Vsync etc)
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=25 (THis is max decals. Can have performance effect at high number, I use this amount)
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=100
iTexMipMapSkip=0 (this is for Texture quality. 0 is Ultra. 1 is high etc etc)
(This is for subtitles in FalloutPrefs)
[interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
[imagespace] (this is for games DOF setting, under this header)
bDoDepthOfField=1
bScreenSpaceBokeh=1
bLensFlare=1 (this one for LensFlare effect)
(This setting is found in FalloutPrefs.ini and Fallout.ini. NEVER EDIT IT. IT will load only in odd number i.e 5,7,9. That is amount of cells around the player outdoors. Can destroy your performance. IF you set this higher than 5, and you save the game, you cannot set it back to a lower number)
[General]
uGridsToLoad=5
(This is under FalloutPrefs.ini. This is game difficulty. 6 is Survival, less is other modes)
[GamePlay]
iDifficulty=6
(these are in FalloutPrefs. These are important for long distance rendering. This is the Ultra setting)
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel2Distance=100000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=80000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=50000.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000 (This one is particularly for scaling the distance. Setting it to 2 may increase LOD distance)
(This is in FalloutPrefs. These are grass distance. Good enough on vanilla setting to me, but can affect performance)
[Grass]
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7850.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=400.0000
(There is also a Decals section in FalloutPrefs. Can have affect on performance at high numbers. These are good enough)
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=1000
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=100
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=40
(This is NV HBAO. Turn it on from here. OTher settings are for advanced users. This is in FalloutPrefs.)
[NVHBAO]
bEnable=1
(this is for NV Flex, the particle system when you shoot walls etc and debris comes out. In FalloutPrefs. This can have big effect on performance with high amount of debris/particles)
[NVFlex]
bNVFlexEnable=1
iQuality=2
(Personally I think there is a bug in this system, where it is possible to make framerate crawl at 1fps or less with melee weapons when hitting something. IT is rare bug but I am sure it is caused by this system.)

Now lets look at some settings in Fallout.Ini, these are more generalized. You might see some the same as FalloutPrefs, make sure they are the same or FalloutPrefs will override most of the time

[General]

bUseCombinedObjects=1 (turning this to 0 disables Precombined meshes in game and destroysd performance. USe this if you want to see new tress and things or scrap everything, but say goodbye to framerate)

uExterior Cell Buffer=49 ( iset this to 49 purposely so that the outer cells from the the normal uGridstoLoad 5 would be loader faster, as they are buffered but not loaded. Try for yourself)

iNumHWThreads=7 (this is how many CPU cores you have. Always set -1. So for you have 6 cores with hyperthreading, you have 12 logical cores. Set this to 11)

[Display]

iPresentInterval=1 (Another Vsync, FalloutPrefs overrides)
bDeferredCommands=1 (leave me alone)
fShadowLODMaxStartFade=2000.0 (these are for distance details of Shadow and Specular. These are good values from vanilla)
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=4000.0
fLightLODMaxStartFade=8192.0 (Distance of lights. Important setting. 8192 is best IMO)
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096 (Same as FalloutPRefs, set this as well if changing to 2048)
bAllowScreenshot=0 (Allow press PRtScn to take screeny)
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=3500.0000 (this is for distant detail on meshes. Same as FalloutPRefs but FalloutPrefs overrides it)
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=2000.0000
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
bNvGodraysEnable=0 (this doesnt seem to do anything. I can turn them back on from FalloutPrefs even if this is 0)
bDynamicObjectQueryManager=1 (wondering if this is to do with Previs. Leave me alone)
bMultiThreadedAccumulation=1 (leave me alone, I'm for multithreading stuff)
bMultiThreadedRenderingUNP=1
fDefaultWorldFOV=80 (FOV settings. Its not quite this simple though, ther ei s some otehr fix you have to apply from console but I cant remember. Probably leave these alone)
fDefault1stPersonFOV=80
fSunUpdateThreshold:Display=0.5f (These 2 control how fast the sun updates, the shadows that is. You see them move a lot)
fSunShadowUpdateTime=1.0
[Grass] (More grass settings)
iMinGrassSize=20 (This one has performance impact at LOWER settings. Its for grass density. I think they reworked it for this game so value different from Skyrim, or maybe its just different grass thats less expansive. 20 seems fine)
bAllowCreateGrass=1
That is about all that should matter for you. Possibly more than you needed to know lol :smile:

I have great performance enchance. Solid 60 fps with few drops. Game much smoother then was. I have 230 mods and now I can continue my 6 month journey modding. I think you end my performance suffer. But I keep testing. Thank you very much! You help me a lot! <3 I dont have words that can show my thanks to you