F4 General Settings Help + enblocal.ini/shadowboost.ini

nastrogogi

Just to point out for future reference, Triple Buffering = 2 or 3 Prerendered frames (1 constant, 2 more buffered from memory or 3 buffered).

Nvidias option is actually OpenGL only. Apparently.

I have been told that Fallout 4s Vsync is already triple buffered, but I cannot confirm that with evidence of my own.

@HaHaPbi my pleasure! I'm here to help.

Yesterday was a very short day for me and hadn't much time, but i have to say, i probably finally fixed it.

To summarize my test and results for my whole Fallout 4 life:

I use an Asus Monitor with 144hz but without Gsync. (Which is set to 120hz because 144hz doesnt work well with 60 FPS games)

Currently i have an Asus GTX 970 STRIX with the newest driver (384.76). I can also confirm, that this driver works for me. Previous Nvidias driver were really bad and had a lot of issues. Some of them were also a cause of a "never ending loading screen". (They were about 2-5 minutes long)

Vsync

An issue that appeared while i was Vsyncing my game, that every 3-5 seconds i had stutters for about 1 second, even at 60 FPS(No matter what Vsync i used, all had the same issue). You couldn't really see it, but you noticed it. I tried all Vsyncs etc... the problem was persistant. Switching my monitor to 60 hz fixed it, but when the frames dropped below about 55 fps, it was stuttering! So i looked deeper into it. I've spent now many hours/days with testing.

Fallout 4 Vsync well it works, but its really not that good. I tested it under many different scenarios, with tripple buffer and pre-rendered frames, in all combinations you can think off. Example: Tripple Buffer + pre rendered 1; Tripple Buffer without pre rendered frames. Tested this with pre rendered frames 1-4. I tried uncapped vsync (FPS 120). Capped Vsync (FPS 60). No matter what, when the FPS dropped to ~40-50 it was slightly to medium stuttering.

Nvidia Vsync the solid vsync worked very well with 60hz. Every other vsync setting was tearing. I've also tested all settings you can imagine. The best result was: Fallout 4 borderless, pre rendered 2, Tripple Buffer off, full vsync. It had no input delay. Still, when i dropped to 55 fps, it started stuttering. It was "okay" to play, but still noticeable and much better than FO4 vsync. (Its just bad)

Adaptive Vsync does also give good results, but as soon as your FPS go down and vsync gets disabled it begins to tear. Really, heavy.

ENB Vsync It works better than FO4 Vsync, still not as good as Nvidias Vsync. I've also tested everything with the ENB Vsync.

But if none of the tests bring any good results, how did i fix it now?

I'm not quite sure. Maybe it was the newest driver from Nvidia or its my current setting. Or its a mix of both. So what i did yesterday was:

- Install newest driver for Nvidia(384.76)

- Enabled the AA tweak for the shimmering issue

#

Open Nvidia control panel

Click Manage 3d Settings

Select Fallout 4 in the dropdown list of applications

Set Antialiasing - FXAA to on

Set Antialiasing - Mode to Enhance the application setting

Set Antialiasing - Setting to 2x

#

- Everything else is set to Nvidia default (Vsync is set to application controlled)

- Disable Fallout 4s Vsync in both .ini files

- Set monitor to 120 hz (in case you have a monitor with more than 120 hz)

- Download Nvidia Inspector and open the Fallout 4 Profile

- Set Framelimit to "~63.9" (via dropdown menu) and apply

ENB & Boost

I'm using the Pilgrim ENB, its probably the best out there because it looks very good and shadows are not that noticeable, which is perfect for shadowboost! Even with shadow set to a max of 6000 it looks very good and you barely notice the shadows getting adjusted. This was a problem with the vanilla game and other ENBs. You always saw the shadow wandering, when Shadowboost adjusted them. It really feels odd and makes everything very very bright. With Pilgrim everything looks okay, even without shadows. So this is a big plus for this ENB.

I don't use the memory patch or stability patch. The memory patch makes loading times and textures loading worse. I don't have much problems with that, as i'm using an SSD. The SSD removed those ugly looking LOD textures and also helped with the weapon switch bug. Stability Patch, i'm not sure, if this helps my game. In the description is stated, that it can help, but also can have a negative effect. It varies from user to user.

Shadowboost

I've set it now to 59 FPS, as my FPS cap is now at 60 (even the framelimit is at 63.9, don't ask me why, i really dont know it.)

My minrange is set to 1000 and maxrange to 6000. Thanks to Pilgrim ENB, shadows are not that important anymore and much less distracting and more subtle. I've set the speed to 1.5, as it's the best value for me. Too slow or too fast results in performance decrease / weird wandering shadows.

I still have short loading stutters, which is normal and i'm fine with that. Once everything is loaded, there are no stutters. Even when my FPS hit 40, they feel like real 40 FPS. Yes its still not fine. I can see the difference between 60 and 40 fps, but its MUCH better.

All tests i've made recently, were made at Far Harbor town. The town brings my fps down to ~45 and was the perfect place for testing.

Oh! Thx for instruction! I will try it afterwork. Priceless help =) Thank you very much!

@HaHaPbi my pleasure! I'm here to help.

Yesterday was a very short day for me and hadn't much time, but i have to say, i probably finally fixed it.

To summarize my test and results for my whole Fallout 4 life:

I use an Asus Monitor with 144hz but without Gsync. (Which is set to 120hz because 144hz doesnt work well with 60 FPS games)

Currently i have an Asus GTX 970 STRIX with the newest driver (384.76). I can also confirm, that this driver works for me. Previous Nvidias driver were really bad and had a lot of issues. Some of them were also a cause of a "never ending loading screen". (They were about 2-5 minutes long)

Vsync

An issue that appeared while i was Vsyncing my game, that every 3-5 seconds i had stutters for about 1 second, even at 60 FPS(No matter what Vsync i used, all had the same issue). You couldn't really see it, but you noticed it. I tried all Vsyncs etc... the problem was persistant. Switching my monitor to 60 hz fixed it, but when the frames dropped below about 55 fps, it was stuttering! So i looked deeper into it. I've spent now many hours/days with testing.

Fallout 4 Vsync well it works, but its really not that good. I tested it under many different scenarios, with tripple buffer and pre-rendered frames, in all combinations you can think off. Example: Tripple Buffer + pre rendered 1; Tripple Buffer without pre rendered frames. Tested this with pre rendered frames 1-4. I tried uncapped vsync (FPS 120). Capped Vsync (FPS 60). No matter what, when the FPS dropped to ~40-50 it was slightly to medium stuttering.

Nvidia Vsync the solid vsync worked very well with 60hz. Every other vsync setting was tearing. I've also tested all settings you can imagine. The best result was: Fallout 4 borderless, pre rendered 2, Tripple Buffer off, full vsync. It had no input delay. Still, when i dropped to 55 fps, it started stuttering. It was "okay" to play, but still noticeable and much better than FO4 vsync. (Its just bad)

Adaptive Vsync does also give good results, but as soon as your FPS go down and vsync gets disabled it begins to tear. Really, heavy.

ENB Vsync It works better than FO4 Vsync, still not as good as Nvidias Vsync. I've also tested everything with the ENB Vsync.

But if none of the tests bring any good results, how did i fix it now?

I'm not quite sure. Maybe it was the newest driver from Nvidia or its my current setting. Or its a mix of both. So what i did yesterday was:

- Install newest driver for Nvidia(384.76)

- Enabled the AA tweak for the shimmering issue

#

Open Nvidia control panel
Click Manage 3d Settings
Select Fallout 4 in the dropdown list of applications
Set Antialiasing - FXAA to on
Set Antialiasing - Mode to Enhance the application setting
Set Antialiasing - Setting to 2x
#

- Everything else is set to Nvidia default (Vsync is set to application controlled)

- Disable Fallout 4s Vsync in both .ini files

- Set monitor to 120 hz (in case you have a monitor with more than 120 hz)

- Download Nvidia Inspector and open the Fallout 4 Profile

- Set Framelimit to "~63.9" (via dropdown menu) and apply

ENB & Boost

I'm using the Pilgrim ENB, its probably the best out there because it looks very good and shadows are not that noticeable, which is perfect for shadowboost! Even with shadow set to a max of 6000 it looks very good and you barely notice the shadows getting adjusted. This was a problem with the vanilla game and other ENBs. You always saw the shadow wandering, when Shadowboost adjusted them. It really feels odd and makes everything very very bright. With Pilgrim everything looks okay, even without shadows. So this is a big plus for this ENB.

I don't use the memory patch or stability patch. The memory patch makes loading times and textures loading worse. I don't have much problems with that, as i'm using an SSD. The SSD removed those ugly looking LOD textures and also helped with the weapon switch bug. Stability Patch, i'm not sure, if this helps my game. In the description is stated, that it can help, but also can have a negative effect. It varies from user to user.

Shadowboost

I've set it now to 59 FPS, as my FPS cap is now at 60 (even the framelimit is at 63.9, don't ask me why, i really dont know it.)

My minrange is set to 1000 and maxrange to 6000. Thanks to Pilgrim ENB, shadows are not that important anymore and much less distracting and more subtle. I've set the speed to 1.5, as it's the best value for me. Too slow or too fast results in performance decrease / weird wandering shadows.

I still have short loading stutters, which is normal and i'm fine with that. Once everything is loaded, there are no stutters. Even when my FPS hit 40, they feel like real 40 FPS. Yes its still not fine. I can see the difference between 60 and 40 fps, but its MUCH better.

All tests i've made recently, were made at Far Harbor town. The town brings my fps down to ~45 and was the perfect place for testing.

Thank you! Game even more smooth! Very much appreciate!