Multiple body textures

vixenfinder

I'm attempting to use the old version of SilverX10 body as my base body, however many of the new armor mods require CBBE or UNB in order for the body textures to play nicely.

To this end I've tried opening up the body mesh then in NifSkope and modify NiNode>NiTriShape>BSLighting...>BSShaderText...>Textures and modify the path of the texture to an area to say "textures\actors\character\altBodyTextures\test_a.dds" Apparently the changes are saved to the file but are not adhered to in the game which will use the default location and apply those files.

To this end I ask how should I approach this so I can use one body mesh's textures for armor mods, and another for my default body?

what you say should work.. this is how i apply texture to my mesh..

when you make a mesh you copy that from another file and then remove the textures and add your own..

drop the _a

for the main texture its just texture.dds

then normal map, texture_n.dds

those are really the only 2 files you need..

unless you want shinney and glow

then its _w and _g i think..

what i need to do is figure out how to make those files from scratch.

i made a helmet, with no textures assigned to them at all.

i cant find a way in 3ds max to color the thing..

i found the coloring tool but it just makes it a color in the 3d world and not in the game.

Edited by aarons6

It's ignored in the case of body textures, the skin shader swaps what ever texture you put there in place of what ever races texture the actor is. It's set up in the races CK entry not the nif.

In the "BSLightingShaderProperty" for the body mesh part change the "Shader Type" (first line in the bottom window) from '5' to '0' for cloth/leather/non shiny textures or '1' for metallic/shiny textures and see if that works ...

AFAIK shader type '5' is reserved for skin textures only and will override/ignore any texture you specify with the default base skin texture (despite the fact it appears as though it's worked when viewed in Nifskope)

Post your files on a hosting site somewhere and i'm sure someone will take a look at them for you ...

On a side note: How are you saving the .dds files? Some people have had issues with textures not working due to them not saving the .dds file in the proper formats = Diffuse Maps (main texture) DXT 3 is fine or DXT 5, Normal Maps (*_n.dds or *_msn.dds) DXT 5 is required, Mask or Specular maps (*_m.dds or *_s.dds) DXT 1 is used ...

@aarons6: I think you need to do something (add?) with the UV Maps first before applying a texture, otherwise the game/engine doesn't know where to put the colours you specify on the model ... Though I have to admit I'm a complete noob when it comes to 3D modelling programs

Here is what I've tried so far I've used the regular body files but simply apended 'a' to the beginning. Please if someone would look and see if this is working on theirs or if there is a tweak that can be applied.

#NSFW

bodytest

Edited by vixenfinder

It's ignored in the case of body textures, the skin shader swaps what ever texture you put there in place of what ever races texture the actor is. It's set up in the races CK entry not the nif.

I've uploaded a sample of the alternative body setup. Could you please try it out and see if it is working properly?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I don't unstand, what do you mean with "0", "5" or "shader-type 5" and I can't find these words in den BSLighingShaderProverty.

I'm using NifSkope in the Version 1.1.0-RC6.

Click on and expand the NiTriShape for the body mesh part of the Armor

Under it you will see BSLightinShaderProperty

In the bottom window of NifSkope you will see at the very top of the list Shader Type and next to it is normally '5'

Click on the '5' and you can now change it to a '1' or '0' then hit enter