Book Inventory textures

Galejro

I have a problem with retexturing books in skyrim. The world model is fine just a couple of clicks and boom, I have a retextured book. Now the difficulty is with the inventory model It stays the same no matter what.

-I retextured the "highPoly-sth sth" models in static

-I did a new retextured Static model but still nothing (copy paste the original of course, I can't make models)

Any Ideas on this?

I tried this without any luck. When making a new texture set and then assigning that to the static model, it looked alright in the CK, but in game the book remained unchanged, using the old texture. When copying the whole model and then assigning the new texture to it directly in Nifskope, it looked ok there, but the game would CTD when navigating to Books in my inventory.

Just to make sure, have you already tried inputting the dds texture into the properties window of Items-->Book-->Name of Book as it appears in the Object window?

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/2989/bookinck.jpg

if you have, then maybe try to repackage your texture file into your mod...

Edited by trees415

From what I know, Inventory Image is not used in Skyrim. It is more for fallout, when you can see item's icon in your inventory instead of 3d model.

Try following things:

* Get the characterassets/hi res book model, and use NIFskope to change the texture path to your new texture. Remember to set the right model under the book properties.

* If NIFSkope doesnt work for, try editing the HEX code's texture path of the file.

* Try creating a new Texture set in CK, and assign it to the hi res model, when you select it for your item.

Ok so I've managed to succed in making books have a new texture in the inventory (using high-resolution book texture mod).

The only thing that you need to do is to rename a dds texture to match the menu model e.g. book04.dds to largebook04.dds. Therefore, you will have all your books using book04 texture looking retextured both externally and in inventory.

There is only 1 flaw with this one. All other books in the game using book04 will look new in the inventory. That we wouldn't like, so I'll experiment more with texturing of the books. Maybe placing the large texture in the clutter static model will work but anyways can anyone explain me the following places at which I can place a texture in a texture set.

Diffuse-?

Normal/gloss- Normal map I know well what it is

envoirnment- ?

glow- I Guess this is for windows to glow in the night

height-?

(second)envoirnment-?

Multilayer-?

Backlight mask-?

Edited by Galejro

Diffuse- The actual colors. Main texture.

Normal/gloss- Normal map I know well what it is

envoirnment- I guess it is something like what you would see in reflections. Not 100% sure.

height- Kind of like normal map, but older. Greyscale image. Not used.

(second)envoirnment-?

Multilayer-?

Backlight mask-?

• 3 weeks later...
How do you create a new texture set for your "inventory" book? I've retextured the high res model, but the "Inventory Art" is still screwing me over by using "highpolybasicbook03" as the inventory art. I cant seem to add anything to that drop down window either. HELP!

A glow map works kinda the specularity (alpha) channel of the diffuse map (texture) but it allows the texture to glow with some color. A good vanilla example is the Daedric Armor, ingame its kinda dark and red, but if you opened the texture, you'd notice that the base texture has no red at all. That red glow is achieved with the glow map.

Environmental maps are what Dragten said they are. They're used for fake reflections on models like shining armors. If i recall correctly, they resemble a disassembled cube, so its in fact a cubemap. A texture that retains 6 interior faces of a cube, which ingame is assembled and projected into the armor to fake reflections.

Real time reflections are very hard on hardware, since most effects are applied not globally, but just taking in account from the camera/players perspective, a reflection would require to render the scene all again from the perspective of the object that is reflecting the scene each frame. So environmental/cube maps are applied to fake reflections very widely on games, though there are better implementation of cubemaps that do resemble the scene they're rendered by making the cubemap on the spot instead of being a completely unrelated texture painted over the model.

You can find examples of these in the cubemaps folder in the textures bsa :)

Backlight mask... i think i read somewhere that it was used for objects that are thin and supposed to let some light pass, like some forsworn fences made out of skin that you find on their camps. They're there to fake translucency.

Edited by eltucu

I'm sorry but I still dont know where to do that. Is it here somewhere?

http://i42.tinypic.com/351wnlv.jpg

Edited by Astal