Book Inventory textures

Galejro

(edit: oh wow, did NOT notice the poster above me resurrected a dead thread :( oh well left here in case someone new comes along)

Duplicate away, it's better than changing the original game art :)

Here's the cliff notes version

A book. Make a duplicate in CK for your custom book. Note the inventory art reference. Make a duplicate of that too. Also take note of the world art used.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dxi6v8.png

Note the model used for the inventory art.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1oom03.png

Open that model in nifscope, point this textureset to your new textureset, save as new file. Do the same for your world art.

http://i50.tinypic.com/352g17o.png

Now update your duplicate books to use the newly created models using the new textures. One completely custom book, created!

Edited by acidzebra

• 1 year later...

The Best Way To Fix This Issue...

It helps if you extract the ENTIRE Skyrim Meshes BSA file, but you don't need to. When texturing book meshes, you need to texture a STATIC book mesh, this is your WORLD MODEL. Now you need a mesh with the animations for opening and turning pages. This can be found in the extracted Skyrim Meshes BSA file by following this file path.

Meshes > Clutter > Books > Book02 > Character Assets

Then find the book that corresponds with your STATIC model. Using NIFScope, the animation can be previewed by hitting the PLAY button in the top right hand corner of the program. Texture the book and the pages in a similar fashion to the STATIC model, it will tell you where the texture files are usually kept. After matching up the textures, its time to head into the Creation Kit.

Once in the CK, set the WORLD MODEL to your STATIC mesh. Then find a HIGH POLY BOOK in the STATICS category in the CK. Duplicate the HIGH POLY BOOK and replace the texture with your ANIMATED book mesh. Then set your duplicated HIGH POLY MODEL as the INVENTORY ART in the object editor within the CK.

If I actually made sense and didn't screw anything up while writing this and you followed all my instructions, you should now have an animated (working) book in your inventory.

If you found this hard to understand, I don't blame you. That's why I will be making a video tutorial on my gaming YouTube channel. The link is below this sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-wGc5PfPWOG_-W-73MuAnA

• 4 months later...

Dont worry.

First of all, have you made a texture set for your book? It is same like making a retexture of a mesh, but you will not need to modify the mesh file itself, hence your mod will not take up just as much space.

If you have not made it yet, do it. Under Miscellaneous, there is TextureSet. Just make a new one and put your texture under the "Diffuse" field. You will also need the Normal Map, but screw that for now.

Then, you need to go to World Objects --- Static and find the model of the book you want to retexture.

It should be called something with "highpolybook01" or whatever. Dublicate it, and name it whatever you want, for instance "1_book_highpoly".

Double click the entry and you will get the window with all the properties like the ID, etc. There will be one called "Model". Click the Edit button next to it, and you will get a new window. There will be a list called Alternate Textures. There will be a few 3D name entries, you just have to find the right one of them and DRAG your newly made TextureSet into the slot.

Then just press "OK".

Now, when you are making the book itself, under the property window for it, there will be a field for "Inventory Art". Its just a drop down menu with the list of all static objects. Click it and find the new book static we just made (the "1_book_highpoly".)

If you still have troubles, I can help you via TeamViewer.

Ah.

Thanks for the info now.^_^

I finally got it to working for myself too.