Is DAI modding dead?

DeltaType90

So I am trying to do something as simple as extracting textures and so far it has been a real runaround of half done tools, broken links and what not, truth be told it seems like a bit of a mess o_O

Am I looking in all the wrong places or is modding DAI really as complicated as it seems? :unsure:

Of which textures are you talking about and how do you try to extract them? It may be that it's because of a faulty execution, an outdated or wrong guide - in the case you use a guide at all? DAI modding isn't dead, but it's indeed much harder/more difficult than we are used from others games.

So, you have to give us a little more information that we can help you with your issue:

Which...

... textures are you try to extract?

... guide do you use?

... tools do you use?

The latest DAITools Suite Loader isn't suitable for extracting textures, I recommend an older version of ModMaker ( v1.1.0.16 alpha ). You can get it here: http://daitools.free...ment-t1065.html

So I am trying to do something as simple as extracting textures and so far it has been a real runaround of half done tools, broken links and what not, truth be told it seems like a bit of a mess o_O

Am I looking in all the wrong places or is modding DAI really as complicated as it seems? :unsure:

The Frosty Tools Suite says you can export DAI data. Have you tried using that at all? I haven't bothered since I'm so used to using the DAI tools and haven't had a call to mod DAI recently.

Of which textures are you talking about and how do you try to extract them? It may be that it's because of a faulty execution, an outdated or wrong guide - in the case you use a guide at all? DAI modding isn't dead, but it's indeed much harder/more difficult than we are used from others games.

So, you have to give us a little more information that we can help you with your issue:

Which...

... guide do you use?

... tools do you use?

The latest DAITools Suite Loader isn't suitable for extracting textures, I recommend an older version of ModMaker ( v1.1.0.16 alpha ). You can get it here: http://daitools.free...ment-t1065.html

Yea sry for the lag of details, was feeling a bit defeatists after having spent several hours finding nothing but tools that required you to download additional dependencies which required additional assets and so on and so forth :wacko:

But thx for the link, I'll give that one a go, I think that one is pretty much the only one I didn't find in my searching, there was some referencing to it but all the links I came across was broken or leading nowhere :blush:

The Frosty Tools Suite says you can export DAI data. Have you tried using that at all? I haven't bothered since I'm so used to using the DAI tools and haven't had a call to mod DAI recently.

Sadly I wasn't able to get the Frosty tool working for DAI exports, tried earlier today, but for unknown reasons I kept running out of memory o_O

The word is however that version 1.04 is planned to offer more support for DAI modding, so fingers crossed for that :happy:

Which...

... guide do you use?

... tools do you use?

I'm still not finding an option for extracting textures in "ModMaker v1.1.0.16 alpha", only the usual .BIN and .EBX extraction :confused:

Which...

... guide do you use?

... tools do you use?

I'm still not finding an option for extracting textures in "ModMaker v1.1.0.16 alpha", only the usual .BIN and .EBX extraction :confused:

Exporting images works for me in all versions. For some of the DLC assets, v19 is best, since they removed blockers from that content. Some DLC content is blocked regardless so it will crash if you try to open one.

You do still need to install SlimDX to get ModMaker working properly.

Download here. Install both .NET 2.0 version, and the .NET 4.0 version (x86 for 32-bit Windows, x64 for 64-bit Windows).

Once it's all set up, when you open a texture asset, the asset preview window will have import/export on the upper-left when you open it, then you can just export a dds. First, try something normal, like PJ textures, since there are a ton of those mods and they're not DLC assets. The PJ textures are in DA3//Actors//InquisitorJim//Appearances//Var2//Texture// .

If that's still not working, you'll have to post some pics of what you're seeing to get further help.

If all you want to do is export (I'm using a couple of DAI textures in Skyrim... :ninja: ), you can use any version. If you're going to MAKE mods, use v19 for ebx edits, and v16 or 17 for image edits. v19 is broken for image edits, and those other two don't take ebx edits well, in my experience. I know it's annoying, but it's what we have to do at the moment.

Edited by nightscrawl

Which...

... guide do you use?

... tools do you use?

You do still need to install SlimDX to get ModMaker working properly.

Download here. Install both .NET 2.0 version, and the .NET 4.0 version (x86 for 32-bit Windows, x64 for 64-bit Windows).

Yea but see this is my point, I don't want to have to download and install yet another dependency on my computer, I'm tired of clogging up my PC with 3rd party software, especially if it is only to make a single program working, it's like one program and 2 to 3 dependencies every time, it adds up pretty fast and they always have some unintended influence on other aspects of your computer :pinch:

I thank you for your help, time and the link I really appreciate it, but I guess I will have to wait for Frosty before I touch this game :confused:

English isn't my native language, so it may be that I have misunderstood the question of DeltaType90. I thought he wanted to export textures to edit and import them for his own mods and this works for me only with the older version of ModMaker. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding...

No no you were not wrong, that was my intended end goal, but to begin with I just wanted to see what I was dealing with tool and resource wise :happy:

Originally all I really wanted was to get a hold of all the map textures so I could make some map notes for personal use while playing, like the good old days with Baldur's Gate where we still did some things manually :D

Yea but see this is my point, I don't want to have to download and install yet another dependency on my computer, I'm tired of clogging up my PC with 3rd party software, especially if it is only to make a single program working, it's like one program and 2 to 3 dependencies every time, it adds up pretty fast and they always have some unintended influence on other aspects of your computer :pinch:

I thank you for your help, time and the link I really appreciate it, but I guess I will have to wait for Frosty before I touch this game :confused:

Just to clarify. SlimDX isn't software itself, they're the libraries for framework that the apps (ModMaker) can use, just like the the various Microsoft C++ versions we have to install for various games (I have over a dozen of these). That's all they are.

I generally feel the same way you do about computer bloat, but these are perfectly fine.

What maps did you want to use? I can extract them for you if you want.

Just to clarify. SlimDX isn't software itself, they're the libraries for framework that the apps (ModMaker) can use, just like the the various Microsoft C++ versions we have to install for various games (I have over a dozen of these). That's all they are.

I generally feel the same way you do about computer bloat, but these are perfectly fine.

What maps did you want to use? I can extract them for you if you want.

I would appreciate that a lot, thank you :thumbsup:, I was basically just looking to get a hold of all the exterior zone maps including the world map :smile: