Random crashes when loading saved game

MaxShadow09

Hi people, I'm having a weird problem and I hope someone here can help me. Last friday the game was working fine. I'm playing with a ton of mods (580 total esp's, merged they make 230 active esp's). Yesterday I installed a few more mods. When I load my last save, it showed the loading screen, and just before it starts the game, it crashes. I thought one of the mods I installed was giving problems, so I started disabling them, one by one, and it kept crashing, until I removed my FO4Edit merged patch. I load my save and it starts normally. Looks like I found the problem! Well nope. I re-enable all the mods I disabled before, and the game crashed again. Maybe something else is causing problems, so I disable those mods again. And it kept crashing.

At this point things start getting quite weird. I try something else: I delete my .ini files and let the game generate new ones. Then I enable archive invalidation, and the game starts again. Looks like I found the problem once more!. Well nope. Adding some mods again makes it crash.

I keep trying different things. This time I try to run the game without F4SE, and it works normally. I add some mods, and it crashes again.

But this is the weirdest thing: after trying different combinations of mods, configs, with and without F4SE, I manage to load my saved game. I close the game, and restart it without touching anything. And BAM... crash again. I really don't know whats happening, but the game is apparently crashing randomly. It doesn't matter what mods I have, or what I'm using. Most of the time it crashes, but there are a few times where it loads fine. Starting a new game seems to work fine in any case. I don't know if it's a problem with the game or my PC, but it's getting on my nerves. It was working perfectly fine a couple of days ago.

My rig is quite old, but it can run the game decently with low settings. I use NMM to install mods, and the total size of all the mod I installed is above 50GB (not counting the game and the DLCs). But belive me, it worked fine.

I would appreciate any help you could give me, as long as its not uninstalling all the mods, or reinstalling/validating the game (all the vainilla texture ba2 were modified to reduce the texture size). Any ideas?

Edited by MaxShadow09

Hi

You need to find out if the CTDs are in your saves or in your game. Test with a new save.

One mod can trash your game. It happened to me this weekend. I installed one mod. I read the comments & bug reports. No one mentioned CTDs so I installed. Played the game & all was fine. Switched off to do some real world stuff & when I started up again CTD on loading the last save. All saves crashed that had the mod installed. The save I made before installing the mod was fine. I lost about 2 hours of play.

With Skyrim(old version) it was easy to spot an event that if saved would trash a save. With this game it is almost impossible. Because of this CTDs can creep into your save. With my game I have character saves that CTD a lot & other character saves that don't CTD at all. It is not my game, it is the save.

Since Oblivion(2007) I have overwhelmed my hardware with mod many times. It only takes one mod to upset any balance you had. I use Fallout 4 Performance Monitor to see if a hardware issue is causing a CTD on loading a save. I use FPM because it lets me know what my HD/SSD is doing as well. With my hardware I know that at 94% CPU usage a save will crash on load. If VRAM goes to the roof it will crash on load. If the cache on a HD is overwhelmed it will crash. The simple graphs will let you know.

If your saves are successful indoors & not out doors it is a hardware problem.

Now for some strange stuff.

Heavy modding can impact your hardware in some strange ways. Some errors can survive a reboot. This game engine has taught me to switch off between sessions.

Later

I like to look at new mods I add in FO4Edit with a filter applied before I decide to run with them. This way I can find out how bad the conflicts are despite what the mod says it does or what you think it does. Found quite a few surprises in the past.

I found the problem! I loaded an old save file and it worked fine. However, as soon as I tried to equip an Alternate Strap Brown Dufflebag with Rifle (from Survivalist Go-Bags), the game crashed. Turns out I had that backpack equipped in all the following save files. Whatever is causing that crash, only happens sometimes. That's why I was able to equip it the first time, and why sometimes I was able to load my game. I managed to load my latest save file after that, and removed that bag from my inventory. Everything works fine now. I checked the mod page, and some people reported crashes too in the bugs section. Anyway, thanks for the replies. :happy:

The mesh has probably gone corrupt or there is a problem with it in general. Check that mod for updates, or maybe redownload and reinstall (remember to uninstall first)