100% Crash Falkreath Hold

Slinkusss

I just solved it for myself by accident.

Logic says: The only thing that separates 2 characters with different issues is the inventory (yes..)

Go to QASmoke using COC and then use PCB, save.

Load save, do a player.resetinventory.

Problem solved, no more crashes for me.

No disabled mods, no altering or downloading.

Solved it for all my characters.

Try that :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having problems as soon as I arrive to Half-Moon Mill. I don't have those cairn rock meshes, I am redownloading SMIM to make sure it has not been corrupted, and I have to restart so that my DEP can take effect. I will try to reset my inventory after I reset.

I can't help you with this odd problem, Slinkusss, since I've never heard of anything like you're describing. If I had to guess I'd say your save game has gotten corrupted.

Now, about overwriting saves. This has been a known issue since at least Oblivion. Both quicksaves and autosaves are overwritten, and the game does not overwrite "cleanly". For some reason garbage from previous saves can accumulate in an overwritten save game. Bethesda sort of put a band-aid on this festering sore by giving us multiple autosaves with Skyrim, but this still doesn't really address the issue. All it does is delay the inevitable, which is an unstable save game that, eventually, might simply cause the game to CTD the instant you attempt to load it.

Don't use autosaves. Don't use quicksaves. As soon as you revert to one of these, and then make a "hard save", you've incorporated any corruption in that autosave/quicksave into your hard save. This, in turn, will be propagated into any other hard saves after that. I think you can see how this is a downward spiral because none of the accumulated garbage ever gets cleaned out, and every single overwrite has a chance of adding more.

I heartily recommend Save Hotkey ArchMod for people who are used to quicksaving. This maps the hard save onto the F11 key, so that when you hit it you'll get a separate hard save each time. It works just like a normal save, except that it bypasses the menu and the multiple keystrokes you have to use to make a save.

• 4 weeks later...

I solved the CTD problem with changing UgridsToload in Skyrim.ini from 7 to 5 in this area I couldnt use the value 7. I started with the last savegame and ALT+Tab to desktop. Then I entered the new value in the Skyrim.ini and saved the ini-file. I then returned to Skyrim with the ALT+Tab and entered the tilde ~-key and here I entered "refreshini". I then saved the game and the problem with CTD in Falkreath-surroundings were gone.

Strange though I can use Ugridstoload with value 11 all other places without any trouble...

• 1 month later...
I've been having the same problems... mainly around the lake bit where Lakeview manor might be. (a home you can purchase in Hearth-fire dlc). it's been pissing me off, espeically because the rest of Falkreath is fine, and I actually purcarcsed a land title from the steward of Falkreath for Lakeview manor... and now I can't use it on my character. =\ Edited by AuroraMoon

I've been having the same problems... mainly around the lake bit where Lakeview manor might be. (a home you can purchase in Hearth-fire dlc). it's been pissing me off, espeically because the rest of Falkreath is fine, and I actually purcarcsed a land title from the steward of Falkreath for Lakeview manor... and now I can't use it on my character. =\

Have you done the Dark Brotherhood story line? I found for some reason once I start these quests I get a crash around Falkreath usualy up around the two dungeons just outside of the town where the vampires live. If I do not do the Dark Brotherhood story line the game is fine and I get no crashes in that area.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Today I got my Half-Moon Mill crash. Couldn`t fast travel there nor walk at all. Like you mentioned no matter from which side I tried to get there, I CTD. After many tries, mods off one by one I discovered what was my issue - this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24511 - Forgotten Settlements. Check its files, remove all from ...\Data. Also if you`re using Dual Sheath Redux (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34155) be sure, after you delete all Forgotten Settlements files, to run Dual Sheath Redux Patch.jar to get new Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp (replace old one in ...\Data) or your Skyrim will crash at the menu. This was my issue, hope I could help.

Edited by mikjas

I,ve had the same problem and I found that it was the Oakwood mod from the Steam workshop. The Oakwood for Hearthfire does not. although I only found the problem post Hearthfire add on. If you have any mods from the steam workshop or The Nexxus that may be the key.