greybeards attack me

slohand

Does anyone know why the greybeards would attack me when i answer their summons? This has happened b4 and I had to reroll a new character. I asked then too, but no one had a clue. So now it is happening again, so I am trying the forums again. Someone has got to know what is up with this glitch. Or maybe can steer me to some one that would know. This is really getting on my nerves. I am on pc and took no one up with me. I am using the right shout. I tried everything i can think of, but they attack everytime, and kill me. It is total bs. Edited by slohand

• 1 year later...

I ran across the same problem and this should help; if you used a removeallfactions command in the console it makes your disposition 0 to the greybeards so upon using said shout they get angry. doing this helped alleviate the problem; player.addfac 0002c6c8 1 or just do a search, "greybeard" and find the faction. I was experimenting with an animal friend console system and it caused to many bugs so I did a player.removeallfactions command that apparently wiped the board clean. upon doing the first part of the quest you are added to the Greybeard faction. my guess is it was made specifically to keep this bug from happening. That might also explain why dragons have mysteriously become friendly xD. that was interesting but game breaking.

• 4 weeks later...

Same thing. Can't say that I play vanilla, among mods also have all DLC (recently installled). Never happend before that greybeards attacked and killed my char, so was really shocked.

Happend during pre-phase of testing, when Arngeir welcomes to shout Unrelenting Force at him. Nothing (and I mean it!), absolutely nothing worked not just to solve the problem but at least to get out of there alive. Restarting old save was not and option cause I already spent lots of hours into the game.

So one thing worked (with lots of cheats) and now i'm able to happily play further.

After Greybeards grinded my char into the floor 5 or 6 times (and google search for solution - which i couldn't find), I decided to see, what will happen if I'll just try to stay alive. So I installed cheat mod "Sacred Ring of Jeebus" and one of the 100% invisibility cheat rings, Silver Ring of Shadows, shouted while sneaking (not that it helped great, but well...), managed to get out, run a bit down the stairs (GB didn't follow me) and just came back sneaking. To my surprise greybeards where again peacefull and shout which pissed them off actually counted so I was able to move further into the testing.

Next was - three targets with the same Unrelenting Force. First went whithout a glitch, then second (and i made absolutely sure, that greaybeards will not be in the path of the shout) again set them completely crazy on my char. 't was a bit of a struggle to get out and this time they DID follow me outside - so I lost the GB, jumped to the first location whith a bed available, slept for 24 hours and returned to High Hrothgar in sneak mode. Greabeards again behaved like nothing wrong happend at all, and I was able to complete the rest of the tests and was sent on my merry way to get The Horn.

So, don't know if it will help anybody, just glad that I didn't have to abandon weeks of game hours and start all over.

Edited by minserette

• 5 months later...

Such an old thread, hate to even post here. This is the second time this has happened to me. Characters were clean, no crime etc. One was dark elf, vanilla race. Second was Epic elf custom race by zzjay. The grey beards followed me outside and down the mountain. my game was ruined at that point, no chance to do main quest line. At lvl 59 my pc was a quite powerful mage, so by using dual casting elemental spells, I knocked the grey beards off the cliffs. But in the end I could not find a fix. Soo very very painfully I had to delete both characters and start again. It makes it hard to want to continue the game. So fragile, so full of shoddy programing practices, breaks so fast and easy. This is vanilla skyrim, with a few mods.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

yeah i just had it happen to me, i thought at first one of my followers had agro'ed the GB's. i mean they tell me to shout at them, i do, and Nadina Fire-heart yells, 50 Septems on the Dragonborn, and poof i am encased in ice, lol kind of freaked me out.

Thx for the fix Aeonthraen i am going to give it a try right now!

OK i just tryed Aeonthraen's suggested fix and it worked great, Thank you very much for saving my play thru

Edited by concretemonk

• 4 months later...

This is happening to me to - I turned on god mode (TGM) and non detect (Tdetect) and training went fine - till I had to talk to Agnair, then he went in to attack mode, but do to the non detect, can't find me to strike. Can Not talk to him to get the next quest - I am using a mod that makes me allied with vampires (well all undead it turns out), so that may be my problem. Ironically I turned that mod off and I am Still Allied with the Undead. (Though all the other features of that mod turned off)

Gonna try that set faction cheat listed above. Crossing fingers it works (sometimes the console commands do nothing)

Edit:

addfac did not work - at all - so for now I will just ignore this quest line (I got Lots of others still) and come back to it later.

Edited by ShadowPrism

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So I installed a mod to kill every one and anything and I am tired of the bs,

im going through but I know its mod related two reasons is that milmuner the first dragon kill has a old man voice before the dragon spoke but could never understand what was said with out subtitles. (Dovakiin NOOO!) Doesn't sound like a dragon.

So im looking in to it, the real crazy part is this happend after I reinstalled the game from scratch I could have sworn that I removed the mod from NMM.

I know that the mod in question did a disclaimer that it did disengage the main quest system.... If you know any mod that does this pleas let me know.

Ive tried the player.addfac 0002c6c8 1 and they dont attack but no quest start I think there is a file that isnt helping.. IDK its crazy I miss being able to kill... Wait its not the alternate start mod, cant be, when this problem came up it worked with maine quest and now its not I can't get the civil war to get past the crown. OMFG!! Help some one... I have to check my mod list...

Edited by ryusrexus