Making Misc items static in-game (non-moving)

KaraTES

I don't know why you guys are trying all these weird hacks to get this to work - the flags that tell a .nif how its collision is supposed to work are all handled/edited inside the .nif itself. You need a tool like Nifskope to edit them...

• 1 month later...

I don't know why you guys are trying all these weird hacks to get this to work - the flags that tell a .nif how its collision is supposed to work are all handled/edited inside the .nif itself. You need a tool like Nifskope to edit them...

...and?

Care to share with the rest of the class? There's bloody hundreds of these flags, if you are so smart, you an tell us which one should be edited.

Edited by piotrmil

• 2 months later...

I too am fighting this problem. I need what is effectively a Static that has the ability to hold a script.

I think that may simply mean you need to create a new Activator object, with the *.Nif file of an object normally seen as a Miscitem.

The activator class has the ability to accept a script, yet has the other properties of a Static.

If I am wrong for some reason, please let me know?

-

So I found a true solution to this problem, you have to use NifSkope to edit the havok values to disable the response of the object at a NIF file level.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Removing_havoc_on_an_object

1. Once you have NifSkope installed on your computer and running, click the Load button at the top of the screen and pick the file that you want to alter (remember we are turning a havoced object into a static object, so this must be an item with havoc).
  2. When the file is loaded and you can see the mesh in the black window, go to the Block List window and open the NiNode block.
  3. From there, open the bhkCollisionObject block.
  4. You should now see a block titled bhkRigidBody. Select this block.
  5. Now find your Block Details window and scroll down until you find the properties Motion System and Quality Type.
  6. Change Motion System's value from MO_SYS_BOX to MO_SYS_KEYFRAMED
  7. Change Quality Type's value from MO_QUAL_MOVING to MO_QUAL_FIXED (the Quality Type's value could also be MO_QUAL_MOVING2 or MO_QUAL_MOVING3, but change it in any case)
  8. Now, the mesh should be motionless. There are a few more steps to get the mesh in game, however. Save the mesh as a new .nif file by clicking the Save As button at the top of the screen. Save the mesh anywhere under the Oblivion\Data\Meshes folder.
  9. Open up the TES Construction Set and the plugin you are creating. Find the object window and select the Items menu on the left. Depending on what type of object you are altering, you may need to go to the Ammo, Apparatus, Armor, Book, Clothing, Ingredient, Key, MiscItem, SigilStone, Soulgem, or Weapon sub-menu. This tutorial assumes you are altering a weapon, but it could be any of the above objects. You should check to determine which type is your object.
  10. In the list of objects that appears in the right side of the window, find the original object that you are altering. Double click it so the window to edit the object appears.
  11. Change the ID of the object to your own unique name.
  12. Click the button that holds the ".NIF" file and pick your new mesh with the file chooser.
  13. Now, you can alter the rest of the values (like the name) to whatever you wish.
  14. Once you are done, press Ok to create the new object (say yes to the prompt).
  15. Place the new object where you need it. You are done!

• 4 years later...

Just got this issue, and thanks to this old post of VanKrill and the provided link.

So for future readers, this wiki solution is from the old Oblivion, and it gave me another surprise; if the static is not placed properly on a ground surface, it will then fall in a loop.

Knowing what to look for, I simply opened a NIF from a properly working static, and the best values go as follow:

Motion System: MO_SYS_BOX_STABILIZED

Quality Type: MO_QUAL_INVALID

Cheers.