Making Misc items static in-game (non-moving)

KaraTES

Hi, I'm doing my first CK mod and am trying to set gems into the crevices of the enchanting table skull; I've checked the 'Don't Havok Settle' button in the item editing box, but when I enter the cell they fall out anyways. Any help to getting them not to would be great, even if the solution is to make a new item with the static flag (or whatever).

Here's what I'm trying to do:

http://i.imgur.com/J51vy.jpg

There is a script you can use (when double clicking on the item, scroll the tabs across until you get to 'scripts'). Add a new script and find defaultDisablehavokonload.

This 'should' stop the item being havok enabled at all, I say should because I have been experimenting with it (an extremely cluttered npc shop) and it either doesn't

work for all items or npc's can still 'bump' the items causing them to fall. I'm pretty sure its the latter (so for me its basically unsolvable without a new script) but if an

npc won't be going near your things it should work just fine!

There is a script you can use (when double clicking on the item, scroll the tabs across until you get to 'scripts'). Add a new script and find defaultDisablehavokonload.

This 'should' stop the item being havok enabled at all, I say should because I have been experimenting with it (an extremely cluttered npc shop) and it either doesn't

work for all items or npc's can still 'bump' the items causing them to fall. I'm pretty sure its the latter (so for me its basically unsolvable without a new script) but if an

npc won't be going near your things it should work just fine!

Thats because one of the parameters for the script defaultDisableHavokOnLoad (havokOnHit) defaults to TRUE,this allows an object to return to normal havok processing when bumped, if you set this to FALSE on your reference than you will have an object that will not move, although may be picked up.

To prevent item pickup you will also want to add script defaultBlockActivation

Edited by flobalob

I have been fighting the same issue with my mod. I tested adding scripts and changing values on an Iron Ingot in a test cell. I could make it float in air until something touched it by ticking the "Don't Havok Settle". I added the script defaultBlockActivation and I was still able to pick it up. I may not understand completely how these work and doing it all wrong, but I wanted a fix for my mod's object issue.

What I wanted was to make a misc object non-interactable and non-movable. Thanks to ghosu's tutorial set I was able to achieve what I wanted. Here is what I did:

I had to download and install Java Runtime and the FO3 Archive Utility.

I opened the Creation Kit and found the Iron Ingot and noted the path to its model.

Then I opened the FO3 utility and browsed to the model and exported it to Skyrim\data\....etc...

Once I had the NIF in the proper folder, I went into the Creation Kit and in the Object Window, clicked on WorldObjects\Static and right-clicked one of the items there and selected New.

I set the ID to TestIronIngotStatic and set the model to the NIF I had exported.

I dropped the item in game, ticked "Don't Havok Settle" and tested it out.

I cannot pick it up, cannot move it, cannot make it fall, etc.

There may be an easier way to achieve the same results, but I found something that works and I am running with it. Hope this helps!

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I think i'll avoid this method for the time being, it would take me about three weeks to do that to all the items in my shop ^^.

I am testing to see if there is some kind of limit of scripts in a single cell. Previously the stuff in my shop would stay static

when only a few things had the script (tentatively) but when I added it to all the items it never ever works.

Let me put it like this. I'm working on a super bookshelf for my library & I haven't encountered a problem attaching my script to the books you can see in the attached pic + others (thats about 500 books, and I ain't done yet). Edited by flobalob

There may be an easier way to achieve the same results, but I found something that works and I am running with it. Hope this helps!

Another way without having to use other software.

Note the path and name of the NIF.

Add the folders and a BLANK file in that position. (renaming an empty untitled.txt to modelname.nif will do)

In CK, navigate so you have the Statics listed.

Then

EITHER create a New static and select the nif path as normal

OR Drag-n-drop the empty nif file(s) into the statics pane. [EditorID will default to the nif filename]

Before you test your mod ingame, delete the empty nif files, so the game will use the real file in the BSA archive.

It's annoying, I don't know why you can't just type the model path directly into the box :/

• 1 year later...

yes like tunaisafish suggests, making a blank static based on NIF location is the only way that worked for me.

The scripts didn't prevent picking up items that aren't in objects/static/clutter

My solution step-by-step was:

1. in object window, find the item you want to place (let's say it's NOT in the static category in CK)

2. edit, and find the NIF file location. Edit again, edit once more, copy location path

3. cancel and close, making no changes

4. navigate object window to objects/clutter and right click, create NEW

5. give it an ID, in NIF location paste your path, and save/close

6. if you get a CK warning that it can't find the item, try edit/paste path again. It's a bug and you just have to try and eventually it will accept without complaint

7. when done, close/save and find your item by going "all" and filtering - the new item doesn't show in the category right away (CK bug)

8. you're done. place the static and check don't havok settle, and ignored by sandbox if it's furniture or some such.

• 1 month later...

Personally, I had a unique issue with this and found my own way of coping. The above didn't work for me as I was unable to locate the NIF files for some odd reason... I know they're there, obviously.

I wanted to make a place to display my Elder Scrolls without having to do a bunch of scripting/etc to place the ones I was carrying. So I made a shelf, brought in the scrolls and placed them. Edited each base to create a new item so that any changes didn't carry over to the vanilla ones.

Once placed I checked the "Don't havok settle" just for good measure. Added the DefaultDisableHavok script (Which didn't work I might add, but did it for good measure). Finally, I simply added a collision marker in front of and on the sides of the shelf area, essentially locking the scrolls into place. I gave a LITTLE wiggle room, in case havok has a hissy fit and started bouncing them around and ended up bouncing them outside the collision box.

I tested it out, walked up to them, jumped around, watched NPCs walk by, not a nudge. Worked like a charm.

So, that's another avenue you can try if it'll work with your scenario. Not sure it would work with table clutter unless you wanna do a really tiny collision marker around each and every item... But for things against a wall, or if the entire table is something you don't want moved, but a collision marker around it. :)